How to isolate a stone wall from the inside

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
Fabrylilly
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

How to isolate a stone wall from the inside

by Fabrylilly » 27/08/14, 14:17

Hello everybody
I've already read a lot of similar info, but I haven't exactly gotten an answer, so here I am ...
I bought a stone house in the Beaujolais, 60cm wall, not isolated on the outside or on the front (but inside is not live stone). I would like to insulate it inside with hemp wool and vapor retarder in the lining, but I'm not sure it's a good idea ...
qu'en pensez-vous?
Good idea or not?
Thank you in advance
Fabry
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How to insulate a stone wall from the inside

by Cuicui » 27/08/14, 16:19

Fabrylilly wrote:Hello everybody
I've already read a lot of similar info, but I haven't exactly gotten an answer, so here I am ...
I bought a stone house in the Beaujolais, 60cm wall, not isolated on the outside or on the front (but inside is not live stone). I would like to insulate it inside with hemp wool and vapor retarder in the lining, but I'm not sure it's a good idea ...
What do you think? Good idea or not? Thanks in advance Fabry
Insulating from the inside is a good idea if you want to keep the original appearance of the exterior walls and if the thermal bridges are not too troublesome. What is causing you problems? The principle of interior insulation or the materials used?
0 x
Fabrylilly
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Fabrylilly » 27/08/14, 17:41

My question is about the materials to insulate. Is hemp wool a good idea? With or without steam brake? And to finish it is the placo?
Thank you in advance
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 27/08/14, 23:54

Fabrylilly wrote:My question is about the materials to insulate. Is hemp wool a good idea? With or without steam brake? And to finish it is the placo? thank you in advance
The vapor barrier placed on the insulation on the inside of the house is a good solution to prevent the humidity of the house from condensing in the insulation. Having not used hemp wool, I have no opinion on this subject, and no a priori negative. I find the placo practical, efficient and economical.
0 x
LG33
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by LG33 » 28/09/14, 17:20

Vapor barrier or rather vapor brake?

Do you have humidity concerns?
What type of stone and how is it inside? (lime plaster, cement, plaster ...)

I am in the same case as you, I intend to make up for the flatness of the walls (which in my house have holes because soft limestone) with a lime sand coating, then hemp panel, vapor barrier and drywall, then paint that lets the drywall breathe

From what I understood during my research there should not be air between the insulation and the wall, otherwise condensation and humidity.

Interior insulation to keep the stones visible outside?
0 x
Mireille90
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mireille90 » 17/10/14, 14:30

I think hemp wool and wood fiber are very practical and interesting.
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 18/10/14, 01:57

From experience, I advise you not to insulate from the inside. In fact it will make you lose the thermal flywheel of the building. In winter you will only be satisfied, but in summer it will be hot. Very hot

It is preferable to isolate on the outside side.

Now if you want to isolate from the inside. there are ready-made insulating plasters. T puts in + - 5 cm on average for then you cap on it.

This is what I did with the advantages and disadvantages that I told you about.
For your information, the frigolite plates are very good. Preferably used on the ceiling. It remains indeed fragile to blows.

I am more for a plaster than an insulation with vapor. Indeed the humidity produced by the inhabitants of the building must be evacuated. A breathable wall is therefore desirable.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 18/10/14, 11:44

To totally prohibit insulation from the inside, unless you are not the owner!

Because if it is badly done, there can possibly be a proliferation of fungi in the walls (often in a poorly maintained building, or not), which will attack the mortar, and then there must be demolished: goodbye the house! As already said above, the cold bridges, even if "not annoying", cause static humidity in the "weak points" of the construction: and this is where it starts!

So the cold bridges not treated properly, are a danger (but by their nature, it is hardly possible to remedy it: if they are there, they are there, even if we isolate ...)

Between that and the aesthetic of "the original appearance", the choice is quickly made. Wisdom must push us to isolate from the outside.

It is difficult to say whether this or that insulation is good or not. It is not us who decide what to use, it depends on the criteria, on insulation calculations according to the ratio "that we have proposed to achieve", the location of the building, the altitude, proximity to vegetation, the very nature of the walls, relative humidity in the cold season, sunshine statistics and the know-how of the person installing the insulation who will choose which one to install and where (and probably depending on the budget). In any case, a well-made exterior insulation will automatically pay for itself by the heating savings achieved.

There are some examples of successful sites with exterior insulation in this forum. With the evolution of the RTT standards, it is better to do it because sooner or later binding requirements will push the owners to do this work, no need to pay twice by having sought to make small savings which are often synonymous with big expenses then ...
0 x
lapouleda
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by lapouleda » 15/12/14, 16:50

I would also have tended to advise against interior insulation. Why ? Because as Obamot says, mushrooms can proliferate, and there, it is not at all the same story. This misadventure happened to a family in our village .. Result, the house had to be demolished (a young couple of 35 years with 1 child, you realize!) I am not saying that this problem of humidity was the only one and that there were no other design flaws in their homes but in any case prefer insulation from the outside.
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 17/12/14, 19:58

This type of building is isolated to preserve the traditional exterior appearance

These are old stones that need to breathe

It is therefore necessary to mount a semi-stil partition with a rigid rock wool type insulation leaving a ventilated air space. between the wall and the insulation

SEE EXAMPLE HERE
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^

Back to "Renovation, construction and real estate work: help, advice and methods ..."