Still 100 years of oil and more? Reserves and depletion

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Still 100 years of oil and more? Reserves and depletion

by Christophe » 10/10/08, 11:47

This is what we can hear from Loïc LeFloch Prigent's speech via this short interview: https://www.econologie.com/la-fin-du-pet ... -3947.html

Personally I fully agree with his words (hey yes it happens to me to agree with an oil tanker ... although he is an oil tanker EX). These figures are also confirmed by Jancovici's analysis on this page: http://www.manicore.com/documentation/reserve.html

Another proof that the end of oil is not upon us is that oil companies are not developing alternatives "massively". It would not take priests for naive either because the power (financial in this case) once we have it, we do everything to keep it as long as possible.

So if the question of the oil depletion is resolved for 100 years, the challenge of the 21st century is therefore not the depletion of resources but: will the planet support overheating without runaway? But above all: what to do?

Because it is all well and good to install a wood heating at home but the fuel oil saved will simply be burned by someone else a little later and on a planetary / meteorological scale it will not change ANYTHING ...

What to do ... what to do ... what to do?
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 10/10/08, 12:07

Do you want to burn fuel oil and give up your beliefs?

We should avoid spreading this kind of news about oil because we must not delude ourselves, the sudden interest in ecology on the part of a large number of people (would they be in the majority?) Is linked precisely to petroleum product prices.
Human beings are fundamentally selfish and it is certainly not global warming that pushes them to adopt ecological behavior.

I firmly believe that 90% of people who are directly or indirectly interested in the environment do so out of fashion!
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/10/08, 12:15

Gregconstruct wrote:Do you want to burn fuel oil and give up your beliefs?

This is a fine example of misuse of purpose! I never said that I would burn fuel oil!

What I said I said: if it is not burnt by me it will not be kk1 else! You can be on 99% of people reasoning because of the system "my mouth before the others" or "pkoi I would make an effort if my neighbor does not do it"!

So the solution is to do what? Raise awareness around the world so that it stops heating with oil for example? It's like wind turbines: plant them here to make coal electricity better there ... What good is it?

We reason too selfishly but after all the system has trained us for this (competition and crushing of the other from the smallest classes and especially attachment to the material world): that's why we will not get out alive and besides that death is taboo in our society!

Gregconstruct wrote:We should avoid spreading this kind of news about oil because we must not delude ourselves, the sudden interest in ecology on the part of a large number of people (would they be in the majority?) Is linked precisely to petroleum product prices.

Disagree: LeFloch explains the problem well in 30 seconds and he says he sees oil durably at $ 200 in 5 years ...

Gregconstruct wrote:Human beings are fundamentally selfish and it is certainly not global warming that pushes them to adopt ecological behavior.

Here we use the same words!

I don't think he is fundamentally selfish but that (we) have been FORMATATED to be so by our societies.

Look in Africa: they have a lot less than us but they lend themselves a lot more!

Gregconstruct wrote:I firmly believe that 90% of people who are directly or indirectly interested in the environment do so out of fashion!

Fashionable but above all economical! Yes I agree but it is better than if they were not interested at all ... right?
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 10/10/08, 12:22

I did not want to distort your words my beloved rabbit! Mea Culpa! Image

It was an intro to draw attention to the fact that apart from a handful of convinced returned, in the orders since a moment like us, there are people formatted as you rightly call them!

And I agree with you that it's better than if they were not interested at all!
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Another 100 years of oil and more? Reserves and depletion

by C moa » 10/10/08, 13:59

Christophe wrote:Personally I fully agree with his words (hey yes it happens to me to agree with an oil tanker ... although he is an oil tanker EX).
I also believe that we can say that he did well b ..... by all this little world him !!!
So if the question of the oil depletion is resolved for 100 years, the challenge of the 21st century is therefore not the depletion of resources but: will the planet support overheating without runaway?
Here is a question that it is good !!! Personally I do not believe and above all, I think that it is humanity that will suffer the most.
But above all: what to do?
For me, the first line of work is transport !!! Indeed, the majority of oil is now burned in transport which is an aberration. For this to be effective, we must completely review our ways of thinking about transport but also our production methods as a whole.
For example
- Is it useful to use a 5-seater car when 90% of the time there is only one person in it?
- Is it useful to have a range of 1000 km when doing 25-30 km per day ??
- Is it logical that a product goes around the planet several times before being sold (the head of the doll is made in China, the hair in Korea, the packaging in Europe, everything is assembled in China and leave for Europe and the USA) ??
- Is it logical that the lamb's lettuce that is produced and sold in Nantes has passed through Rungis?
- Does it make sense that a product leaving from Belgium or Norway to be delivered to Italy or Spain crosses France by road?

We can still ask tons of such questions. As you say, the question is what do we do?
There are two axes for me, on one side the particular:
- You can buy smaller cars, Hybrids ...;
- Soon (we cross our fingers) we can buy electric or compressed air cars (special dedication to Christophe, : Lol: sorry i couldn't help myself);
- You can carpool;
- Buy our products directly from the producers;
- Boycott products that come from afar (exotic woods for example) or that are out of season (strawberries in January / February).

And then there are the public authorities which will have to invest (large or even very large) to develop:
- Feroutage;
- River transport (I find that the abandonment of the Rhine / Rhône channel was a real waste from this point of view. Thank you the greens : Evil: : Evil: : Evil: );
- Assist in the development of "alternative" distribution networks such as AMAP;

Because it is all well and good to install a wood heating at home but the fuel oil saved will simply be burned by someone else a little later and on a planetary / meteorological scale it will not change ANYTHING ...
There I do not agree with you at all. Indeed, it is almost certain that what we have not burned will be burned by another but in general it will be burned in better conditions. If we compare today's gas or oil boilers with those that operated 10-15 or 30 years ago, they are much more efficient and less harmful to the environment. Remember that the obligation to insulate houses only dates back to 1978. What progress has been made over the past 30 years ...

We should avoid spreading this kind of news about oil because we must not delude ourselves, the sudden interest in ecology on the part of a large number of people (would they be in the majority?) Is linked precisely to petroleum product prices.
Indeed and it is all the better, like road safety, it is sometimes necessary to type where it hurts so that awareness is really made and that it is effective.
The more expensive the crude oil, the less people will be interested in having large cars that consume 10 or 15 liters. We have seen that this increase has led to a drop in recent months in the consumption of petroleum products in general and of fuels in particular around the world (in the US in particular what all forecasters considered impossible). We have also seen that purchasing habits have changed very suddenly (see the difficulties of American manufacturers).

Whatever the state of mind of the one who acts, is it not important that he acts? (it is well said no ?? : Mrgreen: )
0 x