Refinery energy efficiency?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
carburologue
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Refinery energy efficiency?

by carburologue » 30/07/08, 21:07

Hi,

I have been asking myself a question for some time. Here is what I think in a few lines, I work near an oil refinery and for a while I wanted to know if the energy yield of the crude refining was positive or negative.
On the financial level, the balance sheet is rather good but what about the energy efficiency of the refinery itself ???
0 x
approach the end, we'll all spend ... not kidding ... a little humor is good for morale ...

futuristic saying
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 30/07/08, 21:33

The performance of modern refineries is excellent, the French are known to be among the best (the lowest refining price in the world), but it depends on the one hand on the processed product (between light oil usable in a diesel from a ship after a simple filtration and a heavy tar-like oil and very loaded with various pollutants, there is a big difference ...) and the product that we want to obtain, sometimes by cracking greedy in energy: it is the case of a good part of the diesel in France because the demand for diesel being much stronger than that of gasoline, it is necessary to convert the maximum of oil into diesel (which is possible only within certain limits from where export of petrol to the USA and import of diesel, very little used there ...)
0 x
carburologue
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by carburologue » 30/07/08, 21:48

Thank you for your reply chatam and if this is possible I wanted to know if the energy invested in the refining of heavy crude is equivalent to the energy recovered via distilled crude in the form of petrol and diesel ??? Or would there be losses, a bit like electrolysis of water where the yield is only 25 percent so 75 percent loss with the finished product ...
0 x
approach the end, we'll all spend ... not kidding ... a little humor is good for morale ...

futuristic saying
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 30/07/08, 21:57

Hello
The output of modern refineries is excellent, the French are known to be among the best (lowest refining price in the world),

In any case it does not appear at the pump for the (lowest price) than the other countries to produce it. Or the government has a big bottomless pocket and the refiners are the best profits I hope it pays taxes, not just subsidies for antipolution systems.

When we talk about yield, which one? the most diesel or petrol out of a barrel? or the amount of heat energy expended to refine it? not to mention the long transport first of petrol, then exchange of product, diesel in the USA and return of the tanker with petrol for France.
Each liter of fuel consumed has traveled more in its life than it will produce in km, I think that it exceeds the km traveled by the bananas.

Andre
0 x
carburologue
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by carburologue » 30/07/08, 22:12

or the amount of heat energy expended to refine it?

if we refine a liter of heavy crude oil and we calculate the energy that this liter contains, will we have at the end of production recovery of this energy or loss if we include the heat energy spent to refine it? ?

summarize

energy of 1 liter of crude + energy expended to refine it = the same or loss
0 x

futuristic saying
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 31/07/08, 08:38

carburologue wrote:a bit like an electrolysis of water where the yield is only 25 percent therefore 75 percent loss with the finished product ...

The energy consumption by refining is in France from 4 to 5% or a yield of 95% nothing to do, really, with the monstrous energy waste that represents the electrolysis of water ... or the manufacture of 'alcohol from petroleum derivatives ... When I speak of yield, it is obviously a question of overall yield: directly usable extracts, as fuels, lubrication, products for chemistry, etc ...
(exploitation + transport + refining), this for good quality oil.
In other words, you have to hang on to achieve excellence in the oil industry: are you starting to understand why it is hard to move on to something else, especially environmentally acceptable?
The average overall energy yield is ~ 7%, obviously, punctually the yield will drop to 55% for example on Canadian oil or Alsatian oil (1 ton of oil for 5 tonnes of sand) ... and not famous either on bituminous oils
0 x
Other

by Other » 31/07/08, 15:33

Hello

Energy consumption by refining is in France from 4 to 5% or a yield of 95% nothing to do

Practically impossible it is the output of a small 100kva electric transformer with the supply line of a house

Even taking for granted that the oil and draw directly from the boats to the refiner, it is necessary to pump it and heat it in the towers to condense it to pass in the catalyst ect ..
you have to use a part of the residue for heating, there is cooling ect.

Andre
0 x