Tips to fill your reservoir well and fill up

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
azerty
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Tips to fill your reservoir well and fill up

by azerty » 14/05/08, 10:00

here is an article written by a pump attendant, which gives advice on optimizing the filling of your tank.
I do not know if all the points are relevant but it is good to take.

abstract:
-fill its tank early in the morning = + cold = more compact liquid
-fill by pressing the trigger to set stroke to avoid too much steam emanation
-fill when you are half empty, to limit the amount of air in the tank
- do not fill if a supply truck is there, as this stirs the liquid in the tank and you eat all the impurities from the bottom.

Here are some tips to help you save money on gas ...

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground.
The cooler the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up - most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 14/05/08, 13:05

Absolutely azerty : Arrow:

This is indeed the basic advice.

I do the same for LPG, very sensitive to temperature variations. Refueling in the morning or late at night allows you to put more, so go to the pump less often.
For this reason, I wait until I am "almost" out of order to refuel.

I always fill up to full (with LPG, I do not risk that it overflows). This allows me to have a precise idea of ​​my consumption.

Indeed, I scrupulously keep my consumption up to date in a spreadsheet. :|
0 x
Flytox

Re: advice for filling your tank

by Flytox » 14/05/08, 18:38

Hello azerty
azerty wrote:here is an article written by a pump attendant, which gives advice on optimizing the filling of your tank.
I do not know if all the points are relevant but it is good to take.

It is mainly his profits that he tries to optimize. If you put more fuel in your tank, it is fuel that you will not buy elsewhere.

abstract:
-fill its tank early in the morning = + cold = more compact liquid

The variation in volume is far from enormous within 2%
for 15 ° difference in temperature.

https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... yaLVW7.pdf

-fill by pressing the trigger to set stroke to avoid too much steam emanation

This allows you to stay twice as long exposed to these vapors ....: Lol:

-fill when you are half empty, to limit the amount of air in the tank.

Do not see where is the problem with the air ....: Cheesy: , on the other hand, if we are interested in derisory gains, lugging around a useless mass (half of the tank still unused) increases the useless mass of the vehicle and therefore its consumption.

- do not fill if a supply truck is there, as this stirs the liquid in the tank and you eat all the impurities from the bottom.

It is also necessary to abstain just before they fill up, because there too we collect all the water and the impurities which drag at the bottom of the tank. Besides, you will not find any gas station attendant to dissuade you from serving yourself at that time ...: Mrgreen:

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: advice for filling your tank

by Woodcutter » 14/05/08, 23:56

azerty wrote:[...] - fill when you are half empty, to limit the amount of air in the tank
[...].
I don't see where the point of this "advice" lies? :|
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
azerty
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by azerty » 15/05/08, 01:12

so long live gasoline, fuel oil, kero, gmo and alkaline batteries in the trash!
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 23/05/08, 20:21

azerty wrote:so long live gasoline, fuel oil, kero, gmo and alkaline batteries in the trash!
Gné? : Shock: Pôkompri ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"