plank affected by humidity

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
kiki
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

plank affected by humidity

by kiki » 02/04/07, 13:59

Hello everyone.
100% eco-friendly, I am about to acquire a small log cabin in the heart of Auvergne, a chalet which is around 15 years old, to make it my home for a very long time. But, there is a flat that scares me and makes me hesitate to complete the purchase ...
On the south facade of the chalet very exposed to the sun and the rain two planks took moisture at their intersection on 10 cm approximately. The angle also. You can stick a knife in it very easily. When you look at one of these two planks from the side you can see a mushroom. Everything else in the chalet is in perfect condition and has been very well maintained.
This defect was seen by a carpenter who advised me to treat the fungus, double the facade, strengthen the concerned angle and protect all the southern angles.
So my question is this: is this problem serious? Do I take risks of deterioration over time? This purchase is a real long-term commitment for me and I do not want to invest if there is a risk. Also thank you in advance for your advice which will influence the signing or not at the end of April of the sales agreement.

By the way, I have another question about insulation. This chalet is made of simple planks, insulated with rock wool and then paneling. Is it sufficient ? After 15 years, isn't rock wool likely to have sagged?

Thank you all.
See you soon.
0 x
kiki
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kiki » 02/04/07, 14:13

Details on thicknesses:
log: 5 cm
rock wool: 5 cm
air space: you can pass a hand flat
paneling: 1,5 cm
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 03/04/07, 17:26

kiki wrote:Details on thicknesses:
log: 5 cm
rock wool: 5 cm
air space: you can pass a hand flat
paneling: 1,5 cm

you do not have a photo, that we can better locate the problem?
0 x
kiki
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kiki » 03/04/07, 17:39

I just have the front view but we don't see much ... I try to reach it.

https://www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager/222.JPG
0 x
bpval
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by bpval » 03/04/07, 18:56

Hello

Pushing the tip of a knife easily into a 15-year-old plank should not be possible.

First is it really a fungus that caused the damage
or is it only opportunistic because this part is Too humid.

Looking for a cause of captive moisture or even indirect seepage should be attempted.

You should (if not already done) carry out a sound survey by tapping on the wood (its full is OK)

If indeed there are only these two planks involved, then a repair can be considered.

BUT always ask the question: why in this place?
If the answer is not found ... rebelote in a while

A+
0 x
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 04/04/07, 11:00

one can also wonder if the degradation is not due to other wood pests ...
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher