Globe-trotters shrimp

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
bolton069
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Globe-trotters shrimp

by bolton069 » 05/01/07, 10:41

Hello,

This little message to share with you a terrible info. : Cheesy:
I went to spend the holidays with the family, at the sea (Brittany), and during races I, out of pure curiosity, looked at the origin of prawns; are you well seated? I go.

Super market in Brittany: Shrimps raised in Ecuador, : Evil: processed in China : Evil: : Evil: , and packaged in France.

I didn't know there were backpacker guides for shrimp. : Cheesy:

Well, of course I backed away, proud of myself and my civic act, and a few days later I bought the same variety of shrimp from a local fishmonger (I make the local trade live, proud that I was. ).

At the end of the stay, I go back to the fishmonger's house, and notice the origin of the shrimp: bred in Ecuador : Evil: Thunderstorm ! O despair! ... oh enemy old age, have I lived so long only for this infamy?

In short, you need constant vigilance to consume "smart". And apparently it was not the season for shrimps in the area, that will teach me !!
0 x
grakamoule
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by grakamoule » 05/01/07, 11:12

The great classic:
shrimp caught in Denmark, peeled in Morocco, eaten in Denmark!
it's a bit scary!

It is time for the transport cost to increase! (and workers wages in Morocco too!)

90% of the shrimps you eat come from hot countries ... and shrimp trawl fishing at a waste rate of 80% (80% of what is killed is thrown dead overboard), these are mainly the fry who are paying the price for this fishery.

Breeding in this case seems to me a good solution, even if it comes from far away it is (maybe) the least worse
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 07/02/07, 11:28

How do your shrimps come by boat in refrigerated boxes?

Or by plane ?? In refrigerated boxes? :D
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 07/02/07, 14:38

grakamoule wrote:Breeding in this case seems to me a good solution, even if it comes from far away it is (maybe) the least worse

Well yeah, in principle, you're right. Except that in practice, most shrimp farms are in Southeast Asia where the indigenous populations (who lived in harmony with the nature of fishing and gathering) were massacred (or crowded in shanty towns) and destroyed mangrove to establish these farms.

In addition to the human side, the destruction of the mangrove is a disaster because, not only does it harbor a unique biodiversity, but in addition, its presence limits the impact of storms and other tsunamis by playing a role of natural breakwater.

A site to learn more about it. (see links at the top of the page)
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding