Incident in a Areva workshop in Cadarache

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Chuwee
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Chuwee » 24/01/07, 19:05

Targol wrote:I am anti nuclear and I can not answer any of your questions Chuwee. Now, I don't think that not knowing all the details about a danger dispenses with being wary of it.

There is a difference between distrust and paranoia : Lol:

Targol wrote:To use your concrete example, I am unable to tell you precisely how the sun will attack my skin and make me risk cancer, that does not prevent me from paying attention.

It will attack your skin in the same way as radioelements since it is ionizing radiation. Namely, destruction of DNA that will try to repair itself. If it does not succeed, the cell normally dies but it sometimes continues to divide and thus cause cancer ...

It is also good to remember that a long exposure but with a low dose is not at all the same thing as the same dose delivered over a shorter period. (perfect example: exposure to the sun ...)

Targol wrote:We cannot specialize in everything, 10 lives would not be enough. At times, you have to know how to be content with the main lines.

That's why everyone shares their knowledge, including here 8)

Targol wrote:Obviously there is natural radioactivity (although, at home, built on sand, I don't think there are masses of it) and that it is dangerous. From there to saying "since there is naturally, let's add a layer" (by the power plants and the waste they produce or by irradiating the fruits to stop their ripening process), there is a step that I refuse to cross.

Sorry to disappoint you but the sand coming from the granite, there is radon. In addition, all that is concrete, cement, etc. also contain it ...
Waste is indeed a problem (minor for VLL waste, major for HA waste which represents roughly 1% of nuclear waste).
As for the fruits, it is simply sterilization. We do not block maturation itself. (This is exactly what we do on blood bags for transfusion ...

I will avoid the passage on medical applications but at first glance, a scintigraphy, which is not the most dosing, must represent in activity something like 37000000000 Bq. It is not for nothing that you are asked not to approach children ... (You will have noted in passing the manipulation on the figure anti nuke way : Lol: )

Now if you can find me something that currently manages to provide as much energy and with the same mass of "fuel", I am a taker : Lol:

Personally, I think that nuclear is a good way of ensuring the basic electric consumption of a country, the fluctuaution having to be filled by renewable energies and failing that, by small thermal or hydroelectric power stations ...
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 24/01/07, 23:04

Nuclear, yes, but by almost aneutronic hydrogen-boron fusion by Z-pinch. Finally, we can retire fission power plants and their risks of radioactive pollution. Invest smart!
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 25/01/07, 02:22

Hold on Chuwee, since you're here, have you seen the link I put on the problems encountered in the development of containment units for Pu (very long-term waste storage)?
Can you tell me what you think?
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Chuwee
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Chuwee » 25/01/07, 18:07

I look at this and I post following the initial post : Wink:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert