Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Did67 » 14/11/18, 21:04

And for cows, when they breathe, they release CO² well, like us. For their basic metabolism - respiration.

But, more, being ruminants, they harbor anaerobic bacteria in their rumen which have the ability to break down cellulose. Hence the fact that ruminants can feed on hay. Exactly, they feed on the bacteria that have fed on cellulose in the rumen. The cow chews - "ruminates" - the mixture of decomposed hay and bacteria from the rumen. Men are not capable of that, neither dogs nor cats ... These rumen bacteria, therefore anaerobic, produce not CO² (they would need O² for that), but methane (CH4).
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/11/18, 21:09

Ahmed wrote:No, when the algae rot, they release hydrogen sulfide which is highly toxic.

Yes, absolutely. Besides, the workers responsible for recovering the algae are equipped with H detectors.2S.
0 x
JardinierAmateur
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by JardinierAmateur » 15/11/18, 08:59

Phenomenon well known in Brittany, and especially in 22 where I live.
0 x
The enemy often disguises himself as geranium. But we can not be mistaken, because while the geranium is at our windows, the enemy is on our doorstep
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 15/11/18, 09:04

Ahmed wrote:No, when the algae rot, they release hydrogen sulfide which is highly toxic.

actually, but what intrigued at the start is precisely that they were not rotting, one after the other, yes once the putrefaction on the way we are on hydrogen sulfide smell rotten egg, however CO2 totally odorless, so much more dangerous
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 15/11/18, 09:13

Did67 wrote:

Yes, absolutely. Besides, the workers responsible for recovering the algae are equipped with H detectors.2S.

hydrogen sulfide has a strong rotten egg smell, it's the gas of stinking balls, even without a detector there's no way to miss it : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 15/11/18, 10:30

Alas no. Educate yourself well.

At very low doses, which we do not feel, it is already toxic. As indicated, today, the workers are equipped. Before that, there had been negligence with suspicions of intoxication, which was not fully clarified.

It is also a very corrosive gas, capable of oxidizing certain stainless steels. The stainless steel at anaerobic digestion stations is a special stainless steel.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 15/11/18, 13:23

Did67 wrote:Alas no. Educate yourself well.

At very low doses, which we do not feel, it is already toxic. As indicated, today, the workers are equipped. Before that, there had been negligence with suspicions of intoxication, which was not fully clarified.

It is also a very corrosive gas, capable of oxidizing certain stainless steels. The stainless steel at anaerobic digestion stations is a special stainless steel.

I am not saying that it is not toxic, but that it could be serious, if it is found in stinky balls it is that it can be more than it is toxic, we manufacture it every year when 'hydrochloric acid is reacted on iron, there are sulfur residues in iron, more in powdered iron than in nails, of course on the action of acids on metals, we could not do this reaction in class if it was toxic in doses for which we cannot feel it and I can tell you that we feel it well H2S : Mrgreen:

and when you abuse onions and you let out a little fragrant wind, well it's him again : Mrgreen:

but hey, we are not going to make a cheese, even if it would be a smelly first : Mrgreen:

It is an extremely toxic gas, but unlike carbon monoxide (cf. carbon monoxide) our sense of smell detects it at very low levels of the order of the part per million (ppm, 0,0001%) : you can smell the rotten egg. At 10 ppm (0,001%), it irritates the eyes and gives a burning sensation in the lungs. At 100 ppm, you lose your sense of smell and at 200 ppm the olfactory nerve is paralyzed, hence the loss of smell which adds to the danger.

http://www.societechimiquedefrance.fr/s ... ogene.html

We remember the accident in July 2 009 which struck a rider on the beach of Saint-Michel-en-Grèves, covered with green algae. If the rider escaped after a strong malaise, the horse died. INERIS analyzes concluded that levels of 300 to 1 ppm of hydrogen sulfide and methane were found in places sheltered from the tide where the algae Ulva armoricana had been decomposing for several days.

A crust had developed on the surface, impermeable to gases, and under this crust, the anaerobic bacteria decomposed the organic medium by reducing the sulfates of sea water into sulfides and hydrogen sulfide. It was enough to walk in this pile to let escape this gas which, with contents higher than 700 ppm, is lethal in a few minutes.
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 15/11/18, 13:54

This is what the Ministry of Labor says:

NB: the olfactory perception is detectable at very low concentration but does not constitute a sufficient alert threshold because it diminishes until disappearing as the gas concentration increases (olfactory sideration effect).

in: https://travail-emploi.gouv.fr/sante-au ... ne-sulfure

I guarantee that the staff have detectors in the installations concerned. It is true that this generally does not smell of rose, and that it is therefore difficult to spot this additional odor - unlike the pet in the salon of the Marquise!

But we agree: it is not a fart that will dissipate very quickly that will poison us, nor a stinking ball ... As it is not CO2 of a Coke or when its making its bread that will suffocate us ...
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 15/11/18, 19:06

nothing to do with the above ... just a note:

in my region anyway, earthworms are not celebrating this year.

Not that there were no turricules, but without common measure with the previous years when, at the same time, there were a lot everywhere.

It rained only for 2 or 3 days with us, recently, and again a fine rain. Besides, there was almost no effect on the level of the rivers.

The other day while transplanting garlic, I noticed that the soil was relatively wet ... but having dug in a place "to see", very quickly I noticed that under the first 20 cm (more or less), we were already reaching much drier, compact and harder clods, in one I found a worm that seemed "trapped" in there ... I can't see an earthworm capable of perforating that.
And as the worms are quite deep (because of the very long dry period) it will probably be necessary to wait for spring, with sufficiently wet soil, for them to start working again!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/11/18, 19:14

For my part, I observe small castings - like "vermicelli", far from the spaghetti to which they had accustomed me.

Mortality ???? Or indeed, are they still in diapause, in parts still dry ?????

Must still observe.
1 x