WEDEW An invention transforms air into drinking water, without rejecting carbon

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
Did67

Re: WEDEW An invention turns air into drinking water, and without rejecting carbon

by Did67 » 23/10/18, 22:34

The production must depend a lot on the hygrometry of the air. I only have a few vague memories of the curves that define the dew points. You'd have to see what the asterisk stuck to the flow indicated.

It is clear that when the humidity is high, the collection can be good. Remember that in "heavy" weather, a bottle of cold water placed on the table drips ... But it's not every day.

To estimate the power consumption, one can calculate the high heat of change of state of the water. Add the power dissipated by the ventilation ... Take into account the efficiency of the heat pump ...

The more you lower the temperature of the evaporator and the more it condenses. But the more the performance of the CAP decreases ...

Tonight, the lazy to do the ladle calculation - as for the miraculous donkey. This would locate.

@nico

If the crates are so large, it is advantageous to have the widest fins exchangers possible, so that the air passes to the lowest possible temperature despite a sufficient flow ... There, it's coherent.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: WEDEW An invention turns air into drinking water, and without rejecting carbon

by izentrop » 23/10/18, 22:53

In fact they are dehumidifiers followed by a charcoal filter to make the water clean (nothing new)
The given flow corresponds in principle to a moisture content of 85% / 30 °
nico239 wrote:2000 is perhaps a maxi ... but in everyday life in some places we can settle for a lot less no?
It all depends on the amount of moisture in the air, the amount you expect to recover and how long.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/10/18, 01:21

The fog traps, 100% passive, do not receive xprize ...

This is to ask serious questions ...

water-pumping-filtration / de-fog sensor-trap-a-water-drinking-de-dew-t9756.html
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/10/18, 08:47

Christophe wrote:The fog traps, 100% passive, do not receive xprize ...
Yes, but it's not an innovation.
The novelty is to associate a dehumidifier with a "drinking water" system.

An air conditioner, a fridge also condenses, we can recover the water that drips, but with the hot African heat, a device is needed to prevent it from evaporating before. :(

Without advertising, Skywaters products seem to be made for that https://islandsky.com/products/

Small calculation:
Skymater-150 produces 150 X 4.54 = 681 l / 24 h for consumed electrical power from 4400 W
Randomly a small dehumidifierDelonghi 30l / 24h for 540 W
for a ratio of 4400 / 540 = 8 in power, we see that the big model is much more productive, if however the measurement conditions are the same.

It is economically playable in Africa with solar panels. It would be even more effective if the cold generated is used to cool or store food.

What shocked me was the image of the container in the desert with water carriers moving away, staged not at all in favor of the announcement.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/10/18, 09:14

Ben 85% humidity, it's not won. In all arid Africa, outside the rainy season, this hygrometry is far, far away. But the hygrometry / water contained in the air is not linear at all. Quite exactly, the amount of saturation water, depending on the temperature, is not linear at all.

And in Abidjan, where it is frequent, it often rains, a pot is enough.

If you have a hygrometric probe, check the hygrometry of the air a little: there, it starts to rain (well, for the first time since 1 months), and my probe indicates ... 73% !!!

Their "nominal power consumption" is in kW / hr (not strong - either it is a power, and it is kW or it is energy and it is kWh). Let's say it's energy, so 4,4 kWh ...

In Africa, where we are lighting up with a wood fire, I think that there is better to do than condense water if we have 4,4 kWh electric!

Another myth: there is often (not always) water in Africa, in the ground. It is well-constructed wells or well-maintained boreholes that are lacking. I have installed wells in the very arid heart of Chad. We usually found water a few tens of meters away! A well "cased" (concrete nozzles) delivering clean water is a few dozen bags of cement!

We must stop "parachuting" sophisticated technologies, which will be very quickly stranded as in the past the tractors or other machines introduced by agronomists (what we called the "pink elephants").
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/10/18, 09:30

I misunderstood. :x

I did not find the original but 30 ° C / 85% it is not a real data but a norm to establish a comparison between the products http://www.sixequipment.be/wp-content/t ... /304-t.pdf

And then 4400 W is the maximum operating power announced, just like the 540 W of the small model

We could do the energy calculation on 24 H by multiplying by 24 in the 2 cases but it does not change the result:

For an equivalent power of 4400 W consumed by 8 small models, one would leave about 250 l / 24 h against 680 l / 24h for the big one, implied if the measurement conditions are the same..
I have installed wells in the very arid heart of Chad. We usually found water a few tens of meters away! A well "cased" well
Fossil water that has already fallen a lot since it was exploited on a large scale. http://geopolis.francetvinfo.fr/leau-fo ... acee-88321
Last edited by izentrop the 24 / 10 / 18, 09: 51, 1 edited once.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/10/18, 09:49

1) Your comparison is right. She has little interest in what I wanted to understand: how much water for how much energy. That's what interested me.

2) What I am talking about are not deep boreholes, but "perched" aquifers, replenished by the rains each rainy season. You may not believe me, but I was there: there is water, a few tens of meters, near most of the villages of Guéra (a mountainous region in central Chad). And a few dozen bags of cement are enough to properly "tube" these wells, with the villagers. I did this in the '86 to '90s.

Deep water tables are fossils. And, in fact, attacked to sometimes fuel crazy irrigation projects in the middle of the desert, collapse - since they do not recharge. And the beautiful "culture rings" (which made Gaddafi proud!) Break down, because the water is too salty, salt which accumulates as the water evaporates; the soil is not, as with us, "leached" of its salt every rainy season ...

[It must be remembered that the Sahara was tropical wet 3 000 years ago, if my memory is good - I did not check. If they are not dead, there are still surviving crocodiles in ponds in northern Chad, around Faya Largeau!]
2 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/10/18, 10:01

Did67 wrote:1) Your comparison is right. She has little interest in what I wanted to understand: how much water for how much energy. That's what interested me.
About 6.4 l per kWh consumed at 85% / 30 ° for the big model, misses more than the humidity data of the ambient air. :)

In the desert, the air is wetter at night, in solar it will also require battery storage or other, which will reduce efficiency by the same amount.

1l / kWh may be closer to reality. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/10/18, 10:13

"The air is more humid ..." is not quite correct:

a) the amount of water present in a m3 does not change fundamentally between day and night

b) However, the relative humidity (RH) increases because the temperature is lower

[HR is the ratio between the amount of water vapor in the air and the maximum that air to hold at this temperature]

But this does not increase the extractable quantity for evaporator fins that would be at the same temperature.

c) Of course, the incoming air being colder, the temperature of the latter, for the same power of the heat pump, would drop a little. And in any case, the efficiency of the heat pump would increase (because the condenser would work better too, it should not be forgotten). So yes, it would be in your interest to "turbinate" the air at night ... At the cost of an additional complication: storing electricity. And the lifespan of ordinary batteries in a hot environment is ... very short! Again, I speak from experience. I struggled whether it was the batteries of my 4x4 or those of my PV installation.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/10/18, 11:57

izentrop wrote:
Christophe wrote:The fog traps, 100% passive, do not receive xprize ...
Yes, but it's not an innovation.
The novelty is to associate a dehumidifier with a "drinking water" system.

The "novelty" is not enough to give a price ... especially when the novelty is so mediocre and questionable as that!

I think rather that the novelty of this concept because it is only one at the moment) consists of using WOOD as primary energy ... and gasification (poor overall performance but good, as long as innovating a stirling solar wood would have been more interesting ...)

In 2002 I had discovered a project that used wind turbines at a show of innovation .... and 2002 was 16 years ago ...

The concept has been taken over (it may be the same people): water-pumping-filtration / eolienne-producing-of-the-water-from-a-l-moisture-of-the-air-t8728.html there was something new ...

water-pumping-filtration / maxwater-1-eolienne-producing-l-electricity-and-the-water-t3880.html
water-pumping-filtration / eolienne qui recovered-the-water-from-a-l-air-t8535.html

The "drinking water" system shows a little ignorance of the designers of this project: the condensed water is rain water, so it is very little polluted except for extreme atmospheric pollution (or of a few particles, in it is frequent in arid regions, or if it stagnates for a long time in a place itself contaminated, in short if it has been polluted by the condensation system itself).

A UV treatment, much less expensive than O3, would be enough ... AMHA ...
0 x

Go back to "Innovations, inventions, patents and ideas for sustainable development"