The planet is burning and we are watching our smartphones.

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Re: The planet is burning and we are watching our smartphones.

by Christophe » 14/10/18, 20:19

I agree with this analysis, it's quite easy but should we still do it ...

Google chose (always chooses ??) the location of its data centers where the kWh is the cheapest ... therefore highly carbonated in the USA (2 to 3 $ cents / kWh coal ...) ... I am not on that they decarbonize today as long as that their datacenter (however it is not their means which are lacking).

Any info on the subject? I'm lazy to Googler (well yes I save their hihihi datacenters)

By the way the server of forums is obviously in Green Hosting and this for years: https://www.phpnet.org/datacenter-vert.php
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 14/10/18, 23:18

Christophe wrote:I agree with this analysis, it's quite easy but should we still do it ...

Google chose (always chooses ??) the location of its data centers where the kWh is the cheapest ... therefore highly carbonated in the USA (2 to 3 $ cents / kWh coal ...) ... I am not on that they decarbonize today as long as that their datacenter (however it is not their means which are lacking).

Any info on the subject? I'm lazy to Googler (well yes I save their hihihi datacenters)

By the way the server of forums is obviously in Green Hosting and this for years: https://www.phpnet.org/datacenter-vert.php

You are a bad tongue.

Google buys more renewable energy than it uses
Goal achieved

Published 08 / 04 / 18

At the end of 2016, Google made its accounts and announced its ambition: after having supplied its activities with 57% of renewable energy in 2016, the giant saw itself go to 100% in 2017. The assessment has just been made and the firm announces to have met his bet.

Solar and wind farms that offset Google’s electricity consumption.

Google, whose annual electricity consumption is still terawatt-hours (5,7 in 2015), is pleased. Thanks to its twenty contracts signed with large solar or wind farms, the titan of the Net has succeeded in injecting more renewable energy into the networks than its activities have consumed over the whole of the past year. Concretely, this does not mean that each kilowatt-hour swallowed by one of its 15 data centers was produced by the wind or the sun. But for every kilowatt-hour consumed - regardless of its actual origin - a "clean" kilowatt-hour was produced as compensation and consumed somewhere in the world.

Google datacenters

With contracts which now cover an impressive cumulative power of 3 gigawatts, Google reiterates its affirmation at the end of 2016: it is "the largest purchasing company of renewable energy in the world". According to him, his contracts have been synonymous with $ 3 billion invested in renewable energy in recent years, knowing that the firm started to do it about 10 years ago. Remember, however, that it is not just a question of ecological issues. In addition to this aspect, these vast contracts allow the giant to fix the price of its energy in the medium term, which is not trivial when we provide and host services used by billions of people around the world.

The sum of renewable energy purchased by different companies in the United States, Europe and Mexico in March 2018.

If Google is positioned at the forefront of the high-tech sphere with regard to the purchase of renewable energy, the firm is far from being the only one to follow this strategy. Microsoft, Amazon and Apple also rely on the energy of the wind and / or the sun. In its last environmental responsibility report, the Apple also claimed to have reached a coverage of 96% of its consumption via renewable energies, and more particularly solar energy. It announced in particular to be "100 percent renewable in 24 countries - and in all [its] data centers". It is therefore quite possible that it will soon make an announcement of the same ilk as that of Google, especially since it itself aims to afford 4 gigawatts of renewable energy by 2020.

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/vie-du-ne ... 73123.html
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/10/18, 23:27

Ah well here :) So cool! Long live Google!

ps: I said "chose" and "not on" eh ... : Cheesy: Thanks for looking ... 8)
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 16/10/18, 02:28

Christophe wrote:Ah well here :) So cool! Long live Google!

ps: I said "chose" and "not on" eh ... : Cheesy: Thanks for looking ... 8)

And that's not all:

Facebook signs with the energy company Vattenfall for the supply of wind power for its data centers in Sweden and Norway.
From 294 MW capacity parks (70 Siemens Gamesa turbines of 4.2MW)

Facebook signs deal with Vattenfall to power data centers with wind energy

May 23, 2018 evwind

Facebook, has signed a deal with Swedish power company, Vattenfall, to supply its data centers in Norway and Sweden with renewable power.

The 15-year deal will see Vattenfall provide 1,00GWh of power annually, sourced from the 294MW capacity Bjerkreim wind farms.

The three farms will feature 70 4.2MW Siemens Gamesa wind turbines and will be developed by Norks Vind Energi by next year.

The energy will be used to power Facebook's data centers in Odense, Denmark, and Lulea, Sweden.

“These projects will add wind energy to the Nordic grid, providing a 100% renewable solution to our data center campuses,” stated Vince Van Son, Commerical Director for Energy and Infrastructure at Facebook.

“It will also provide a renewable solution for the electricity consumed at the energy center in Odense, enabling the production of renewable heating for the community from the heat recovered at our data center.”

“The balancing services agreement is Vattenfall's largest agreement with an external partner in the Nordics,” remarked Branislav Slavic, Vice President of Nordic Business Sales at Vattenfall.

https://www.evwind.es/2018/05/23/facebo ... ergy/63507
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 16/10/18, 08:45

It corresponds to a load factor of 0,4, higher than offshore wind, really ambitious as a project. Especially that the mean winds should decrease in the future.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/10/18, 08:56

izentrop wrote:Especially that the mean winds should decrease in the future.

Uh I think the opposite ... What are you basing yourself on to say this?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 16/10/18, 09:22

As in the past, we observe interannual variations
and inter-decadal years of the load factor.
In France, the general trend over the future period is
negative, the annual load factor loses approximately 130 h
between 2006 and 2100 to reach 2088 h. Multi-decade variations
of the load factor make its negative trend
is more marked over the period 2050-2100 than over the
2006-2049 period.
https://www.ademe.fr/sites/default/file ... e_2006.pdf

I don't know if it was later confirmed?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/10/18, 09:37

Moué Moué ...

the annual load factor loses approximately 130 h between 2006 and 2100 to reach 2088 h.

AMHA, this kind of reasoning is highly speculative ... we are not able to predict the weather wind at 2 weeks ...

Then the hurricanes arriving in Europe (Leslie last week) will LARGELY compensate for the lack of production of the 133h annual ... provided that the wind turbines hold up : Cheesy: and that is not won!
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 16/10/18, 09:40

Precisely, more and more violent and sporadic phenomena which do not enter the niches of operation of wind turbines. https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/nature- ... zel_126075
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/11/18, 22:34

Last assembly of Thinkerview
1 x