Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Moindreffor » 22/09/18, 12:34

to be chafoin wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:we planted pine trees to dry the marshes and it worked
yes, but large-scale monoculture has also screwed up

At the time we did not ask the question in its terms there, the question is why we continue now
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 22/09/18, 12:37

to be chafoin wrote:
ChristianC wrote:We made the potatoes harvest; 15 m2, 45 kg.
a / - On the "good hay" plot, planted on 10 m2 with approximately 75 plants, the quantity is 33,5 kg, ie 3,3 kg per m2 and 440 grams per plant.
b / - On the "dry hay" plot, planted on 5 m2 with 30 plants, we had 12 kg, or 2,4 kg per m2 and 330 grams per plant.
The yield is low, but the effort was even more!
But I wish we could make comparisons on our site. As Didier says, we want to pick up more! So ? Your stats and observations friends? What improvements to make?
It is at the end of the fair that we count the dung.
Last harvest of pdt and small approximate calculations, not to know who has the biggest but to know if the soil / the method is good / at least to get a vague idea even.

A little more than 40kg for a little less than 110 feet, on average a little less than 400g / foot.

By quickly looking at the yields posted on the internet, if we are of course far from Charles Dowding, we are also far from the yields traditionally announced ("1kg per plant") or recorded for example here: http://www.potager-et-jardin.fr/rendement-pomme-de-terre/. What to think? My soil is too poor, or serious lack of growth due to lack of water ...?

Some distinctions and personal gardening remarks:
: Arrow: The cultivation on mown grass and under hay gave a much less good yield on average (to 250g / foot) but I found the crop really nice (while to harvest the pdt under the dry clay ... !! : Evil: )
: Arrow: Cultivation of the buried peat, butt and then mulched late yielded a slightly worse on average (to 380 g / foot)
: Arrow:The cultivation of the pdt slightly buried then covered with a thick layer of hay gave the best yield

so it works !!!
a dry year like this, placing it directly on already hard soil did not make things easier, but the fact of burying a little allowed the start of the tuber
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 22/09/18, 13:55

Ahmed wrote:I note, for gardening along the border of Douglas fir, that even the southern areas are infertile, probably due to the removal of water and mineral resources from the peripheral roots.

I made a similar observation, in the "shade" of a plum tree. Poor vegetables. It is not the shadow because it "moves" and does not stay too long.

My conviction is that plum mycorrhizae, well established before vegetables, are much more effective than those of vegetables. So it is this "underground guerilla" which explains, in this case, the misfortunes of vegetables.

We can always "dream" of agroforestry: if we are not termites, we risk starving!

See also, to understand, photos of "burned" under truffle oaks!

https://www.truffiere.org/brule.html

http://www.truffe-passion.fr/spip.php?article63

https://www.planfor.fr/jardin-conseils, ... fiere.html
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 22/09/18, 14:42

Did67 wrote:
Ahmed wrote:I note, for gardening along the border of Douglas fir, that even the southern areas are infertile, probably due to the removal of water and mineral resources from the peripheral roots.

I made a similar observation, in the "shade" of a plum tree. Poor vegetables. It is not the shadow because it "moves" and does not stay too long.

My conviction is that plum mycorrhizae, well established before vegetables, are much more effective than those of vegetables. So it is this "underground guerilla" which explains, in this case, the misfortunes of vegetables.

We can always "dream" of agroforestry: if we are not termites, we risk starving!

See also, to understand, photos of "burned" under truffle oaks!

https://www.truffiere.org/brule.html

http://www.truffe-passion.fr/spip.php?article63

https://www.planfor.fr/jardin-conseils, ... fiere.html

We have at least two in the garden ... we just have to find the beast to tell us if there is truffle there.

I tried to train cats but it doesn't work ... Image

Regarding agro forestry I think it should be understood more as a mix than as crops in the forests ...

There was a researcher who had made interesting videos on the subject.

We were more in the category of space optimization and productive marriages than anything else.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/09/18, 19:00

As usual, I draw attention to "stupid" imitations, without substantive reflection.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 24/09/18, 02:09

Little evening reflection

The more I consult the net looking for information on vegetables the more I find that it is empty ...

I mean that there are little superficial info of 15 or 20 lines there but few complete protocols (even if we don't want to follow them in full).

Except .... in publications intended for professionals, generally pdf ... and which, they, devote SEVERAL PAGES to each vegetable.
Basically if you're not a pro you have to settle for crumbs or common info.

In short all this to say that there seems to be a real lack in this area for individuals ... like us.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/09/18, 13:23

nico239 wrote:Little evening reflection

The more I consult the net looking for information on vegetables the more I find that it is empty ...

I mean that there are little superficial info of 15 or 20 lines there but few complete protocols (even if we don't want to follow them in full).

Except .... in publications intended for professionals, generally pdf ... and which, they, devote SEVERAL PAGES to each vegetable.
Basically if you're not a pro you have to settle for crumbs or common info.

In short all this to say that there seems to be a real lack in this area for individuals ... like us.

I find the rustica site not too bad, you have to take it and leave it but there are ideas to take, the gerbeaud site too, after all that is coming from particular is copy / paste without much interest
0 x
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 24/09/18, 15:47

If you find me vegetable themes I am taker ... for the moment I only find pdf of technical sheets or chambers of agriculture ...

In short not very seller / digestible or very general public ... but of course interesting.

My surprise comes from the fact that I thought I was going to collapse under the docs ...
0 x
nicolas1965
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by nicolas1965 » 26/09/18, 09:09

nico239 wrote:
Did67 wrote:No, I think "optimize" the green manure AND the non-work:

I am that closely :!:

A question of a different order ... as it seems that this year we will finally be able to prepare correctly the 2019 season so we will do some seedlings indoors.

So the laziest technique is which?
I thought about wood fiber buckets

Or is there better?
Or is it useless?
Or is it to proscribe?
Or ... etc

hello here is an excerpt from the text that I will publish on the forumI made this part for you because I used biodegradable buckets this year.

Tomatoes: this year I messed them up why?
The use of biodegradable cups turned out to be a big mistake for me:
- As soon as the roots began to perforate the bucket, the growth stopped even though the humidity was more than adequate. But for me
The stagnation of the vegetation was linked more to the climate (cool temperature: (my veranda is not heated) and to the restricted sunshine this spring.
- But I did not panic telling me that this year I plant later (15 April 2017), as soon as the sunny days come.
But when the sun has finally arrived and temperatures have begun to take off, my tomatoes have not evolved. There I decide to repot them in normal buckets and that's when they started.
- I specify that the substrate of potting was the same as at the beginning (I prepare a good amount: seed potting more dung dehydrated horse, it works very well at home)
I planted my tomatoes on the first of July so too late.
That's it, I hope you'll get inspired.
Nicolas.
1 x
nicolas1965
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by nicolas1965 » 26/09/18, 09:17

nico239 wrote:If you find me vegetable themes I am taker ... for the moment I only find pdf of technical sheets or chambers of agriculture ...

In short not very seller / digestible or very general public ... but of course interesting.

My surprise comes from the fact that I thought I was going to collapse under the docs ...

sorry i don't know how to edit a message so i'm using your question to get my presentation and my text across.

Hello me this is Nicolas I am the forum for a year and I enjoy myself, I am not a real phenocultor because I do not use 100% hay (cost cause and I try to value what I have and what I recover: straw, leaf, grass, shredded wood, BRF….) but hey I'm in philosophy.
I specify that I am of agricultural training and that I came to lazy gardening because (thanks) of health problems. You could say that because of my training I am an outstanding gardener and well not and this is where I am a little bit angry, I practiced traditional gardening for years without thinking about big digging, copper sulphate weeding etc ... all this to have a beautiful bare soil with vegetables that stand out well on this desert that we are obliged to water all the time I am 53 years old and he is never too late but when I think about it what a pity.

Personal experience: attention all the remarks made correspond to my biotope, I am in Nimes, my soil is deep, I can make dumplings (silt more clay), when it is wet we cannot circulate, when it is dry it's hard as wood. Big nimes heat is often in the maxima in summer. Wind which further increases the dryness.
The mounds with buried wood: I would like to believe that it works in certain climates but with little watering and my biotope, I wanted to try it 2 years ago but it is a disaster.
1) Dry soil despite mulching
2) A vacuum has been created in the wood and the earth, hence the dryness of the top.
3) The wood did not accumulate moisture on the contrary the ground being so dry I believe that I increased the drought still

Cultivation under vegetable cover: I experimented in spite of myself the vegetable cover: on a part of vegetable garden created this year, I did not do any intervention (cause my form). It was a quackgrass meadow which eventually pierced the mulch. In general I eliminate quackgrass because too prolific, but there I left it and oh miracle !!!
Vegetables have developed very well. A micro climate on 10 cm interesting (humidity in the morning, when I passed my hand on the ground I removed it wet or wet).
In this area there are: tomatoes, celeriac and branch, salad, chard, leek, cucumber beetroot, long nice squash.
The only downside is that my unstaked tomatoes have fruits close to the ground that are attacked by slugs and they are a bit invasive and tend to "cover" other vegetables, but at the same time it contributes to my "Micro climate"
Unfortunately my feet are full of superb but green tomatoes, because this year I wanted to sow in a biodegradable pot. A disaster, which I explain to you below.

Tomatoes: this year I messed them up why?
The use of biodegradable cups turned out to be a big mistake for me:
- As soon as the roots started to perforate the bucket, the growth stopped despite more than adequate ambient humidity. But for me the fact of the stagnation of the vegetation was linked more to the climate (cool temperature: (my veranda is not heated) and to the limited sunshine this spring.
- But I did not panic telling me that this year I plant later (15 April 2017), as soon as the sunny days come.
But when the sun has finally arrived and temperatures have begun to take off, my tomatoes have not evolved. There I decide to repot them in normal buckets and that's when they started.
- I specify that the substrate of potting was the same as at the beginning (I prepare a good amount: seed potting more dung dehydrated horse, it works very well at home)
I planted my tomatoes on July XNUMXst so too late, today those on the quackgrass area are superb (lots of green fruit, and lots of flowers, but good…)
Those planted on my "super hill" a disaster 30 cm high and stunted no growth. By cons no disease, some flowers and berries. As I explained previously the mound system does not apply in my climate, the nature of my terrain. It could work if I watered abundantly but the goal is to limit the water supply. And then since my quackgrass experience, I will approach 2019 differently.

That's it, I hope my experience will bring some thinking to optimize our PDP.
Nicolas.
2 x