Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Ahmed » 19/09/18, 20:05

The validity of an affirmation must be understood for a certain domain, an area which must be carefully specified, unless it is very obvious (which itself varies according to the audience).
2 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 20/09/18, 10:06

Certainly.

But there is nevertheless a "corpus of concepts" normally accepted by a given community (for example people who speak French in France): the dictionary. It specifies the commonly accepted meaning of words. We do not therefore specify each time - we are generally content to specify "little used meanings", or rarely used words ...

There, it seems to me that there was no need for Drosophila sodomization. Unspecified "terrestrial biomass" means "biomass of the terrestrial globe". And so the claim that earthworms make up 80% of that biomass is stupid.

"terrestrial": this is what Larousse says:

Who belongs to our planet, the Earth: The terrestrial attraction.
What is happening, what is happening on earth, as opposed to heaven: Our earthly life.
Who lives or grows on the solid part of the globe (as opposed to aquatic, marine, etc.): Terrestrial animals. Terrestrial plants.
Which is established on the ground, as opposed to the air or the sea: Land transport.
Literary. Which is material, temporal (as opposed to spiritual).
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/09/18, 12:23

Without disturbing the fruit flies, it should be noted that the qualifier of terrestrial refers to Earth, but also by semantic approximation, to earth (which is much more restrictive, especially if it had been specified "arable"); and, at a time when there is much "artistic" vagueness in language, it is not surprising that misunderstandings are the result.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 20/09/18, 12:32

ChristianC wrote:Against the false news, nothing like certain headings recently put in place by the media:
So about earthworms :

Is it true that earthworms account for 80% of terrestrial biomass?
Interesting article, I note in particular:

A study of the Participatory Observatory of Earthworms (University of Rennes 1) for the National Observatory of Biodiversity finds figures of individuals per square meter ranging from 149 in the forests to 421 in the grasslands through 163 in the vines and 280 in the gardens.

So the double number of the forest to the meadow, for the benefit of the latter, which does not correspond to what one might think at first glance. And that goes in the direction of Didier: it is necessary to associate the vegetable cultures with the open spaces, rather than with the ecosystem of the forest. Yet we should see what types of worms are involved each time ...

I also note the weak specificity of the vines but we should know if this is due to the treatments which we know are very harmful for earthworms ... Are there so few earthworms in a vine of " natural wine "?

Finally the quantity of gardens, intermediate ..
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/09/18, 15:11

I did not look at the document ... I am too scattered.

1) I guess these are average data, reflecting a lot of situations.

2) The vine is not only treated with copper, with accumulations largely exceeding the toxicity thresholds for worms. It is still, even if it evolves, too often conducted "bare earth" ... All in all, it surprises me that there are so many worms left on average.

3) Ditto for the gardens, mostly still driven "bare ground" and worked with the tiller. The figure also surprises me (that there are so many left!).

4) The forest is a poor environment, except the carbon fibers (lignin, cellulose), which do not feed the worms well.

These average figures clearly show us the way: put hay and stop working the land! Hey, that reminds me of someone!
3 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 21/09/18, 11:55

Good news, it's finally raining : Wink:
Denis
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 21/09/18, 12:05

denis17 wrote:Good news, it's finally raining : Wink:
Denis

here too a nice rain and long enough, then back from the sun, my hay will appreciate, he will share it with my scaroles and curly, but especially with my celeriac rave
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
cham65110
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by cham65110 » 21/09/18, 12:23

Hello and sorry to cut your conversation,
New on this forumI'm trying to learn a little more about this method but 1197 pages it will take me some time :P
I am very interested in the method and the principle. I have since 2 years now a garden in the Pyrenees, 800 m altitude.
I love spending time in my garden and harvesting my own vegetables, but unfortunately I do not have enough time to take care of it properly!
Last year was therefore my first test ... there were some difficulties and missed! This year was not better, invaded by slugs, all my seedlings were devoured! So I have a lot of work to do to save some crops ...
Of course I worked my garden by returning the land ... only my potatoes was on the ground and covered with grass clippings and a kind of BRF recovered at the waste dump green.
For next year, I would like to move to the method without turning the earth.
But I ask myself questions:
- My crops this year have had a hard time growing up: some have kept the same size since planting until today (eggplant, chilli among others). Do you know what it can be like?
-I intended to smoke my garden. Is this possible and useful if I finally put hay? and how can I proceed? (I want to clarify that my garden is located partly under a tree ... and on a plot or a kitchen garden was already present a few years before we buy the home: the land is it impoverished?) .
In short, full of questions that will come as and when, but I hope to embark on a culture without turning the earth;)
Thank you
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 21/09/18, 12:25

Moindreffor wrote:
denis17 wrote:Good news, it's finally raining : Wink:
Denis

here too a nice rain and long enough, then back from the sun, my hay will appreciate, he will share it with my scaroles and curly, but especially with my celeriac rave

All ends up coming ...

At home we must attack the 3th week without rain but for once we do not complain ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 21/09/18, 13:04

cham65110 wrote:Hello and sorry to cut your conversation,
New on this forumI'm trying to learn a little more about this method but 1197 pages it will take me some time :P
I am very interested in the method and the principle. I have since 2 years now a garden in the Pyrenees, 800 m altitude.
I love spending time in my garden and harvesting my own vegetables, but unfortunately I do not have enough time to take care of it properly!
Last year was therefore my first test ... there were some difficulties and missed! This year was not better, invaded by slugs, all my seedlings were devoured! So I have a lot of work to do to save some crops ...
Of course I worked my garden by returning the land ... only my potatoes was on the ground and covered with grass clippings and a kind of BRF recovered at the waste dump green.
For next year, I would like to move to the method without turning the earth.
But I ask myself questions:
- My crops this year have had a hard time growing up: some have kept the same size since planting until today (eggplant, chilli among others). Do you know what it can be like?
-I intended to smoke my garden. Is this possible and useful if I finally put hay? and how can I proceed? (I want to clarify that my garden is located partly under a tree ... and on a plot or a kitchen garden was already present a few years before we buy the home: the land is it impoverished?) .
In short, full of questions that will come as and when, but I hope to embark on a culture without turning the earth;)
Thank you

a good summary of this thread found in the book of Didier, the kitchen garden lazy, it is not mandatory, but it sums up very well and it's really a pleasure to read
if you have a tree in the middle of your garden, it will not help, I have boxwood around and everything on the edge does not really grow, but I have a big deficit in MO, so I will compensate this fall by adding more or less thick manure depending on my rate of laziness : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)