VMC: the pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
president13
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: VMC: the pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages

by president13 » 17/09/18, 15:28

Hello everybody

VMC has always been a passionate subject! :)

I am currently revising a little how to "manage" my house.
A little geek, I'd like to put myself to home automation ... and not to mention the PV project in progress ...

Regarding VMC, I wondered if it made sense to leave it permanently?
I have in mind a home automation idea to control the VMC under certain conditions:
- level of hygrometry that exceeds a threshold on one of the sensors of the house
- pollutant level exceeds a threshold (there are PM1 PM2.5 PM10 sensors ... etc what about their reliability and then the VOC management)

what is there to win?
- the power consumption, although the latest VMC microwatt consume already less than the older generations
- minimize heat loss in winter! it hurts me to see the heat go over my roof

In any case, the VMC should turn at least once in the day (shower, presence, etc.)
I do not know how to estimate the ration watch / walk that one could estimate ...
See also if the engine block can enjoy several starts in 24h (if it happens ...)

If anyone has an opinion on this step, I'm interested!
0 x
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by LOGIC12 » 21/10/18, 20:12

hello, we could perhaps stop the VMC the night from midnight to 6 in the morning, because at night the incoming air is colder. BUT, we should not take showers too late, because it takes easily 2 hours to get the moisture out of the shower, so no shower beyond 21h 30.

But it is recommended to never stop the VMC it is necessary that it turns 24 / 24 H.

It is true that with all the fat that it takes to the mouth of suction of the kitchen, in the long run, it could hang maybe if it was stopped.

One may wonder why one does not put a filtration to the suction of the kitchen. Of course; it may be to make trade work.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/10/18, 20:24

It would be more logical to install an extraction above the cooking appliance, which would only work during its use, to evacuate fat smoke directly, without going through the vmc which is not really the role. .
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 22/10/18, 21:04

The best is to have a vmc that breathes air into the rooms and the air is expelled by the bathroom xxx and kitchen.
This solution can be optimized by having the option to choose the air inlet through a conduit through underground at night and in the attic qd there is sun.
0 x
safran
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by safran » 24/10/18, 10:57

Hello
Here is my experience on 40 years of VMC.
It has 2 speeds including 1 very low on the day. I cut it every night, I put the speed fast only for cooking or shower schedules and in addition to the hood. Watch out for the kitchen hood that can be sucked in by the mouths of VMC. I also installed an independent VMC for a second bathroom.
Of course you should not cut and return the VMC without stopping otherwise there is a certain risk of condensation in the ducts, this is partly the reason that it can not be cut on new homes. It is a safeguard but aberrant because often the vmc remains on the high speed and it is true it warms the outside. Also in summer, open windows the vmc is useless.
All this is common sense. Attention also to the control of the vmc, the blocked motors are frequent and in this case the fire is frequent .....: x
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/10/18, 11:19

phil53 wrote:The best is to have a vmc that breathes air into the rooms and the air is expelled by the bathroom xxx and kitchen.
This solution can be optimized by having the option to choose the air inlet through a conduit through underground at night and in the attic qd there is sun.
This is the principle of double-flow with then Canadian.
The problem is that it is expensive to buy and maintain, compared to the economy and the service provided.
It is interesting with a wood heating, we can imagine recover the hot air in the chimney, around the casing.

In the toilet, it may be advantageous to put your mouth lower, at the level of the bowl.

I also wondered, for a simple flow, if the mouths in the rooms of water would not be better 50 cm lower than the ceiling, not to evacuate the hottest air, while recycling the stale air, what is the goal :?:
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 24/10/18, 14:07

No Isentro, it's not a double flow. We do not even have to have two air intakes.
This system is much more efficient because it pushes the air outside instead of pulling from the outside.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/10/18, 14:15

Put a link then, instead of making riddles : Wink:
In this case, taking air from the flue, warmed by the casing would not hurt too, but watch out for condensation as for the double flow.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 24/10/18, 15:00

I do not have a link, I worked in a company that did this type of vmc. I find the system interesting.
Of course they were double stream
The name is Ventilairsec.
I had even upgraded their valve system to pilot the entry point of the air intake
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/10/18, 15:04

Easy to find :)

However, the box must be easily accessible for filter maintenance.
What is the maintenance period?
0 x