Schedule a door opening system with battery

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Programming a door opening with battery-operated system

by Grelinette » 29/06/18, 11:32

Hello everybody

Glad to update this topic because it allows me to give you a feedback.

After having tested several solutions, I came back to the idea of ​​the simple mechanical sprinkler programmer, type "tap nose".
Not having the necessary skills in electronics, I dropped the perilous crafts on electronic programmers, certainly more sophisticated but more expensive too.

On the other hand, the mechanical models are very simple to tinker:

It takes a programmer model with ball valve rather thansolenoid valve with membrane, ie a breakthrough ball that turns 1 / 4 of turn to pass the water.

Attention because I saw that for the same model of the same brand, from one year to another is a diaphragm valve or ball. To know, just look to see the ball that turns or actuate it: if it's a click, it's a membrane, if it's a sound engine, it's a ball.
There are even models with 2 valves, so 2 opening possibilities.
Prog. watering 2018.jpg
Prog. watering 2018.jpg (22.66 KIO) Viewed 4829 times

Just gently cut the case on the back with a small hacksaw to get access to the ball, then fix a pulley or rod on the ball (glued and / or screwed) to actuate the opening of a strike, hook or other mechanical system: the ball rotates with a sufficient torque for that.
Prog valve ball.jpg
Prog valve ball.jpg (40.32 KIO) Viewed 4829 times

In the photos we can see that I even cut the tube on the length of the box and put on a rod that allows me to fix the programmer on a box: I slide the rod in a tube and locks it with a screw.

Advantage:
- economic because the cost is about 20 €
- it's plastic so simple to tinker
- The case is waterproof and small in size
- easy to program: 1 button for the duration, 1 button for the frequency
- There are 2 or 3 batteries of 1,5 volts, type AA or AAA depending on the model, the battery life is about 1 year, but we can add an extra battery pack to increase battery life. A small light, however, indicates the battery level

Disadvantages:
- The programming is "relative", that is to say that we do not program a specific time but a frequency opening from the time the timer is activated : 1h, 2h, ... 8h, 12h, 24, 48h, 72h. For example, if I want to trigger an opening at 7 in the morning, I have to activate the prog the day before at 19h by setting the frequency to 12h. (There are other possibilities).
That said, the new models have a small button Time limit which makes it possible to refine the start time (adds 1 h by pressing the button).
- The shape of the boxes of these prog is often rounded or oval, so a little more complicated to set in a set.

To go back to the horse feeder, I made a big wooden box with the lid that opens with traction springs at the programmed time: Everything worked well ... except that the horses feeling the hay in the subwoofer at night were hitting on it and moving it, then they broke it! : Evil:

So, I opted for a small box hung on a tree in their park, out of reach of horses, and which opens with the same principle. For now, everything is working! : Cheesy: In addition, what is amusing is that the horses understood the mechanism and put themselves under the delivery time of their hay ... and get hay on their head Image

I keep the idea of ​​the box placed on the ground because it is easier to handle: it must be filled in the evening and schedule the opening for the next day or the morning for the evening, but I must find an indestructible box that horses can not move.

Otherwise, this mechanical ball system that rotates at a frequency and duration allows all kinds of applications:
- Small solar follower (described on econology: here )
- Chicken door opening / closing
- Opening of a small feeder for rabbits, chickens, ...
etc
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 19/07/18, 19:21

Small feedback and presentation of the hay machine for horses.

Here are some pictures of the automatic feeder system that I ended up tinkering with the famous little irrigation programmer: finally it's simple, reliable, efficient and economical.

Since a few weeks (months), the day gets up early (too early for me!), And from the first light of the day the horses are agitated and begin to be hungry. When he is tired of waiting for me to come and give him his ration of hay, Water lily (I remind you that it is a Breton trait horse, who can be pretty cabochard, also like the sailor of the same origin): he gives great hoofbeats in the trough to call me! : Evil:
In general, it is before 6h in the morning which is really really too early for me ... Image

In short, it was urgent to find a solution so that the horses are fed early in the morning, and that I can finish my nights. Image

So I took a simple rubbish bag of 300 liters filled with hay that I hoist high on a tree and is unhooked at the scheduled time and empties the ground, under the nose of the horses, even on their heads when they are waiting underneath! : Cheesy:

Initially, the first feeder I had designed was a large wooden crate placed on the ground and closed with large 2 lids that opened at the scheduled time, but the horses felt the hay inside. went on all night, moved it and ended up breaking it! (We underestimate the destructive power of horses : Shock: ). I still keep this idea of ​​automatic feeder that I will manufacture with a large plastic crate type pallock as soon as I have the opportunity to find one not too expensive.

Now the idea and change the system to schedule 2 meals of the day, if not more if I have to leave. At the limit I can do 2 similar systems with 2 programmers (20 € the programmer) but it would be better if a single programmer manages several meals by putting for example 8 hours of delay between each meal: all the 8 hours the programmer will go to trigger.
Distrib-hay-01.jpg
Distrib-hay-01.jpg (51.47 KIO) Accessed 4734 times

To begin, I gently saw a part of the programmer to access the ball that serves as a valve while turning,
then I fixed a small cross made with a piece of plastic. Note the position of the cross because it is she who will unlock the waste system. It is also important to note in what direction it turns. (I put arrows on the cross)
We also see that I inserted a piece of cylindrical plastic in the tube that was used for the passage of water: it is just to better fix the programmer.

Distrib-hay-02.jpg
Distrib-hay-02.jpg (91.42 KIO) Accessed 4734 times

Then I made a small wooden support to position the programmer. A simple elastic cord makes it fit in the holder.

Distrib-hay-03.jpg
Distrib-hay-03.jpg (158.49 KIO) Accessed 4734 times

I used 2 hinges, a small and a large one, to make the unlock system.
The big square must be strong because it is she who will support the bag full of 15 20 kg hay. (I had initially used a smaller square but it was twisted).
A small plate rotating around an axis serves as a small loquat and allows to unlock the small hinge.

Distrib-hay-04.jpg
Distrib-hay-04.jpg (159.36 KIO) Accessed 4734 times

On these 3 photos we see:
- the system ready to work on the left. We also distinguish the hook to which will hang the bag that is made with 2 solid white brackets.
- the whole system, middle photo, on which we distinguish 2 small wooden wheels that allow me to easily move the whole as a wheelbarrow when the bag is full of hay (15 20 kg). I usually fill the bag in the hay shelter and then move the system to the tree where it will be hung.
- the system is open, photo right, and the hook is turned down to unhook the bag of hay.

Distrib-hay-05.jpg
Distrib-hay-05.jpg (97.21 KIO) Accessed 4734 times

This is the bag full of hay and hanging with the upper handles. We also see a hook under the bag that holds the bag and turns to empty its contents. (The 300 l rubble bags have a handle underneath for easy emptying).

Distrib-hay-06.jpg
Distrib-hay-06.jpg (206.18 KIO) Accessed 4734 times

And here is the bag hoisted up the tree, ready to pour at the scheduled early hour. To hoist it easily (we see a blue cord against the trunk), I fixed a small pulley at the top, and one on the board to obtain a gearing facilitating hoisting.
And here is the bag unhooked and emptied of its hay content.

Distrib-hay-07.jpg
Distrib-hay-07.jpg (253.96 KIO) Accessed 4734 times

... now yapluka improve the device!

Next step: pick up several bags in succession ... and make the distributor of toast!
1 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 07/06/19, 17:22

Hello everybody

I reactivate this subject to give you a little feedback.

Perhaps some of you have taken up the idea to make a hay distributor who will resume the editing described in this topic, or any other system to deliver a ration of food to other companions of any kind, any feather or all scales (dog, cat, rabbit, guinea pig, chickens, ducks, fish, ...).

As far as I am concerned, the hay dispenser with a bag that comes off works very well and allows me to deliver a first ration of hay or other food to my equine in the early morning without having to go on site.
However, the park of my horses being visible from my home, I admit that in the morning at 6 am, it is already a little morning pleasure to look at their park through the window and check that at the precise time programmed, the hay sack is unhooked from the tree, after having emitted a small preliminary "Ding" which warns the horses, besides to the great pleasure also of the horses which look at the sack perched in the tree with envy as soon as the hour programmed is approaching.

In short, all this to tell you that the system is even better because I found, for less than 30 € TTC, a small irrigation controller with ball valve (rotating ball) that allows accurate programming at the desired time , and not in relative mode - Frequency, Duration - like most programmers of this type, much less convenient.

Here is the model found, very simple and very intuitive to program:
Programmer with clock.jpg
Scheduler with clock.jpg (41.33 KIO) Viewed 4007 times

Now I am busy designing the manger which will deliver several meals.
Either fully built (I started a wooden model), or only an adaptable system on a market feeder like this one:
Outdoor Feeder (6) .jpg
Outdoor Feeder (6) .jpg (10.04 KIO) Accessed 4007 times

I think it is possible to design a system that will trigger several successive openings with this same little programmer so simple because it allows up to 8 programming at specific times for 8 successive triggers.

If some of you are interested in this realization, I can expose you my questions so that we discuss it ...
1 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 12/06/19, 16:36

Here is the little tip for the system to emit a little Ding before the bag is unhooked: a bicycle bell!

Not only the horses are warned of the imminent arrival of the meal (the morning with the awakening it is always nice, me it is the same with my coffee machine which lights up automatically : Cheesy: ), but it also prevents one of them from staying underneath when the bag is unhooked.

That was before, when there was no bell and I forgot to hang the string that holds the bag in the tree! : Mrgreen:
Head in the bag.jpg
Head in the bag.jpg (44.22 KIO) Viewed 3968 times

The programmer is programmed for a given time (frequency) with 1 mn of Duration: the first half-rotation of the ball (opening) sends the ding, then the second (closing) picks up the bag. Voili, voilou, that's all!
(With the new programmer in precise programming, it's even easier: opening at a specific time (eg at 5:59 am, the "Ding"), then closing at another specific time (at 6:XNUMX sharp, the meal).

In the morning at 6h (horse meal time), it's always a pleasure to look out the window to see the horses prick up their ears at the morning Ding, then get closer to the tree looking up to do not miss the delivery of the breakfast ... especially that I prepare them small surprises: apples, carrots, etc. :P ... and then I go back to bed, serene, the duty accomplished! Image)

Hay Bell 1.jpg
Hay Bell 1.jpg (100.28 KIO) Viewed 3968 times
Hay Bell 2.jpg
Hay Bell 2.jpg (77.32 KIO) Viewed 3968 times
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 08/02/20, 23:55

Hello everybody
As usual I take a long time to communicate.
But here is the prototype feeder made with what I was able to recover as boards, posts, roofs, pallets, ...
I now tackle the automatic meal system ... I have a few ideas. : Idea:

As soon as the system is in place, I put a video of the horses waiting for their ration at the scheduled time by looking up in the morning!

Feeder (1) .jpg
1 x

Back to "Science and Technology"