The Potager du Sloth: the book

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
mca37
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Le Potager du Sloth: the book

by mca37 » 17/07/18, 10:36

Thank you Didier for this book found 'by chance' at the right time. Curious about culture, I tried to understand how the soil works and to maintain it as well as possible. I had heard about the "lazy man's vegetable garden", watched a few videos, but quickly tiring on the screen and easier to take to the vegetable garden too, I was hoping for a book and yes, you did! :) Thanks to an initial scientific training (non-biological) and your tremendous work of extension I understand (finally!) What is the use of putting hay, why not work the soil and the dangers to do it, laze, how the soil works and the food chain that feeds before feeding us via the vegetables grown. Exciting for me. Renting for a month with a friend a garden in an allotment garden association, all we have left to do is put into practice :) In the immediate future the choice was made to cultivate without turning over the land, of course, but by "opening it" anyway, it was necessary to remove the horsetail ... : roll:we have to find hay and bring it there.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/07/18, 10:48

Thank you for the testimony.

Look a little at the presence of these horsetails. If they are very abundant, this may be an index of moist soils, possibly with siliceous tendency (sandy). Which can also go in the direction of soils with acid tendencies ...
0 x
mca37
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by mca37 » 17/07/18, 15:45

Absolutely: clay-silty soil with an acid tendency. To avoid polluting the post, I created one that describes the parcel more. The agriculture / seed-of-garden-of-lazy-37-t15727.html
0 x
Mike12721
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Mike12721 » 18/07/18, 13:28

Dear Didier,

Thank you very much for your masterpiece. Somewhere (12 page) you wrote that TANA (?) Would have translated it into English.

Forgive me for being ignorant, could you tell me where and how could I get a copy in English?

Thank you very much,

Michel
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/07/18, 14:19

No, they translated the back cover into English, hoping to have it translated into English and / or sell the rights to an English publisher ... But they haven't. No more than for German. These are "projects" ...

I hope that all this will come to fruition one day!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/07/18, 14:26

Suddenly, I see that it is 357th in the ranking "all categories" of Amazon. Which, in the off season of gardening books, is "phenomenal"! The following gardening book, Crawford's "Forest Garden" is 1th and Chauffrey's "Small Permaculture Garden" is 976th.

Screen Shot 07-18-18 at 02.21 PM Ranking.PNG
Screen Shot 07-18-18 at 02.21 PM Rating.PNG (76.68 KIO) Viewed 3686 times
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/07/18, 15:41

We are the champions ... we are the champions Image Image
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/07/18, 15:06

And here is the "fake science"

You will be warned!

Extract from an article published in Le Monde:

Global Alert to False Science

Dozens of scientific journals produce and publish unscrupulous studies, which are then found in databases used by experts.

The list of "predatory journals" is controversial: a gray area exists between poor reputation journals and fraudulent publications.

Knowledge, either, is not immune to counterfeiting. The share of "false science" in world scientific production has increased considerably over the past decade, and no sign of pause seems to be on the horizon.

In a collaboration called "Fake science" and formed of fifteen international media, including the Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR), Süddeutsche Zeitung, The New Yorker or Aftenposten, Le Monde investigated the extent and the impact of this phenomenon, which does not spare France.

What can counterfeit science look like? For the past decade, dozens of unscrupulous publishers like Omics and Science Domain (India), Waset (Turkey) and Scientific Research Publishing (China) have created hundreds of open-access journals with the buzzy name, having all attires true scholarly journals.

But unlike these, these newspapers do not have an editorial committee, they charge fees to researchers - on the order of a few hundred euros per article - and publish the "work" without control and very quickly. They do not submit the manuscripts of the research papers they receive to the peer review. This quality control process, prior to any scholarly publication, is one of the key steps in the construction of science.

The same mechanism exists for scientific conferences: often solicited by email, researchers register, for a fee, to present their work. But there is often no one - or not many - to listen to these mock lectures.

Note that this is one of the ways used by agribusiness to "drown" serious studies raising problems with molecules used by pesticides ...

Take the case of a molecule A, which 7 serious studies show is a carcinogen.

The manufacturer teams up with highly paid "pseudo-scientists", who do bogus studies that no one checks, published in the paid journals we are talking about here [they don't care, since they are highly paid].

And when we do a “meta-analysis”, given that 7 studies concluded with toxicity and 127 with harmlessness, we conclude that: “molecule A is a possible carcinogen” ... And then the manufacturer's lobbyists make foam this information ... Possible does not mean certain ... There is such and such a study that "proves" [they don't put quotes, they are lobbyists, not truth-loving people] that the molecule is harmless ... The studies which "prove" that it is carcinogenic, they are activists ... Etc ... The disorder is sown ... No one believes that it is dangerous ...

Note, to be precise, that it also works in the other direction. Militant studies not very supported or not supported at all, which concludes that such a nontoxic molecule is dangerous !!!

In a world where no more rules are respected, anything is possible! And also its opposite!
2 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 21/07/18, 12:32

how many books are you publishing?
of memory 5000 the first time then 3000, was there an 3ème edition?
a suite is planned from how much?
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 21/07/18, 12:45

1) There were 3 prints: 5 000 + 3 000 + 3 000. So 11 000. But I do not know how many are sold!

2) My publisher pressurizes me to release the next February from next year! Deadline for the manuscript: early December.

In the publishing world, a book sold to more than 3 000 copies is a success. The vast majority of books released do not reach this volume of sales.

3) We would be a priori, in this case, on "answers to questions / complements". But for now, it's a bit of a mess in my head: how to avoid repetitions, what to deal with ... The "recipes", I do not feel a little helpless, being, I repeat, a "mediocre market gardener "...

The "Tour de France des Potagers du Paresseux" will take at least a year longer ... But I want it.
1 x