The garden of a lazy we occasionally.

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The lazy vegetable garden a we occasionally.

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 02/07/18, 22:44

Did67 wrote:The verdict is easy: lift!

If it's dry, it's because the layer is insufficient!

If it's down, in contact with the ground, is wet, it's OK.

To be qualified according to the duration without rain. And the UK soil (we talked about it somewhere).

At home, it's still wet.

If you have a place where, by "luck", you put thicker, this lets you know if it is the layer which is insufficient or if it is the RU which is exhausted!

On the contrary my misadventure with this very rainy spring and my potatoes ....

Tonight I went to put the hand under the hay (very thick necessarily for the potatoes) it is .... soggy ....

That's sure I will not bother to withdraw .... I leave and we'll see

But suddenly it is a small defect in case of adverse weather since humidity is maintained despite 30 ° day and like tomorrow they still announce thunderstorms ... Image

Still, I cut the watering for the potato zone until further notice and in my opinion for a long time.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 04/07/18, 16:38

Because with this rainy spring you watered anyway?
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 04/07/18, 17:00

olivier75 wrote:Hello,
Here is an intriguing observation, which is repeated, there were also cases last year, with pupae and worms.
Be careful, this reminds me of the allium leafminer (leeks, garlic ...). Diptera called Phytomyza, fairly recent. Are the leaves deforming, the plants vegetating, bulbs burst? There are small brown pupae (a few millimeters) attached to the tissues of the plant. These pupae can spend the winter thus protected. The larva is a pale yellowish 6mm maggot, the adult a small 3mm grayish fly. 2 generations per year (worst spring, autumn). The female lays eggs in the parenchyma of the outer leaves of leeks and chives, for example. She also makes incisions aligned with the axis of the leaves. The maggots then dig straight and dry mines in the parenchyma of the bole and the "green".

All this information because this parasite screwed up my garlic crops last year after a great first year of garlic. Since I can not put alliums without undergoing an attack. So check and monitor very closely because I think the parasite remains in the soil for several years (maybe 5 but you have to check). So I abandoned the culture of alliums! : Cry:
I personally determined the parasite with pupae that seem to me to look like your last picture! Even if the pupa seems dry, I would be suspicious ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 05/07/18, 01:11

to be chafoin wrote:Because with this rainy spring you watered anyway?

Not of course but it stopped and we pouring south it hits hard ....

But the potatoes, they will not see artificial watering anytime soon ... : Wink:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/07/18, 09:44

You water in "sprinkling", if I remember correctly! And there, heat + wetting of the leaves = explosive cocktail from the point of view of parasitic fungi [I thought I warned you?]!

Otherwise, it was pretty good: the potato is demanding fleet, once it begins to tuberize.

If you persist, just put the hose on the ground and move it every few minutes. The water will start again by capillarity. The mushrooms will do the rest.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 14/11/18, 20:16

Good evening!

Back on this thread, I finally take the time to catch up the publication delay with the balance sheet of the 2e year in phenoculture and gardening tests on living soil.
We must begin by recalling that it is thanks to the part phenoculture that time is released for tests and especially to manage a consequent increase of surface.
On 4 vegetable gardens, 2 emptied without being replanted this summer, for lack preparation, time and especially hay, perso harvest as bought, it arrived too late on a parched soil, the small boots covered a single vegetable garden I waited for storms ..... and the rest is still stored. Plantations are coming back in early autumn.
Despite the drought and the associated setbacks, there have been enough successes, learning and harvesting to remain over-motivated.

Olivier
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 14/11/18, 21:41

Phenoculture, permanent boards, green manure.

These last months were rich in reflections and information, especially on youtube and some readings, I was able to glean some tricks, infos and directions to follow but, each one having his desires, his imperatives, his visions, my system remains to build, fine tune the lines, test and validate, .... or not.
In the big advances, I finally have a crusher which will have to allow substantial contributions of (true) brf.

I will continue in phenoculture on permanent boards with a maximum of live blankets, continue to try new vegetables to further improve our dish by limiting the work to the minimum relevant.

Olivier
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 14/11/18, 22:26

Shoes faca.

The test worked well, there were just some regrowth, some straightening, gardening very easy to master. The semi live broadcast in the trampled cover to him less successful, but the drought did not help, he started to lift mid-September, more than 2 months and a half later. The beets, sown with the phacelia and remaining in the state of seedlings in the canopy, began to grow again.
A winter radish semi in August with the same technique but followed by manual "stirring" uprooting the cover to allow better contact with the ground worked well.

For the moment the technique seems to me in gardening more adapted to the plantation. Covered with hay, it improves the soil through the living root system and produces a portion of the biomass. Installed in the fall or early spring its usefulness seems justified to me on vegetables with late planting and loving the fresh organic matter such as tomatoes or squash.

Olivier
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 14/11/18, 22:39

Little comparison ....

Pictures take the October 21 of the fishpond garden presented page 43 / 44. In the foreground a typical village garden and behind mine in the fog.
IMG_6541.JPG
IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_6544.JPG
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 15/11/18, 20:41

The kitchen garden of the fishpond,

Since he is in picture, I start with him.
It is still full today, I will see this we if the last seedlings (peas and rye / oats) have risen.
For me, the beginning of the gardening year begins with the planting of spices, (garlic, onions and shallots), so they finished filling this one after the autumn vegetables / winters, sown this year earlier, between mid-August and early October, each time at the time of the previous harvest, with uprooting of the seedlings and sowing in a soil refined by the root system. Either radish (from chine, purple gournay, black Alsace and minowases), spinach, carrots, turnips (croissy, black pez long and yellow gold ball), fennel, leeks, cabbage and lamb's lettuce.
The first crops, there are cabbages, beets, chard.
But, green beans, pea seeds, sorgo seeds, cucurbits, potatoes, spring yellow onions, beets, cabbage leaves and some tomatoes were harvested.
This is my first way of gardening where I have no more room for green manure.
The hay placed late on dry ground ensured only the function of mulching, which still saved the year with copious waterings at each of my passages. By spreading the plates for the spice plantations, it is clear that the hay is almost new, the plates too thick have been divided.
The small boots are very practical to tackle an already implanted garden, and easy handling.

In short, despite the drought this small garden proves that we can garden (and harvest) without being on site, without fertilizer, without pesticides, (there was still once ferramol, but probably wrong) and what even with conventional pummeled soil, and even before it is brought back to life. It is very encouraging.

At the end of the summer, the double-crop / mustard seedling still showed its effectiveness, but this time by protecting turnips from flea beetles, a very difficult semi at home, which this time supported the pressure by sharing it with mustard. . The slugs have not returned yet.
IMG_6595.JPG
IMG_6591.JPG
Olivier
0 x