The garden of a lazy we occasionally.

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The lazy vegetable garden a we occasionally.

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/04/18, 18:00

Did67 wrote:Except your "big seed" might not germinate now ... It's typically a late summer / early fall variety. And who fears the "cold weather" with its large leaves a little too fragile, in our climates.

If you want to produce now, the "modern" selected "all season" varieties such as Gala, "4 seasons", Granon (which I am discovering) or Favor, and which also have fairly large leaves, are suitable - they do not fit. wait until the end of summer / beginning of fall to germinate! They germinate in any season (we got rid of its photoperiodism by conventional selection)

The "shells" or Cambrai do indeed have smaller leaves. Suddenly, they are tough enough to get through the winter. But, indeed, it is necessary to sow sufficient surfaces and sufficiently dense! The simplest: you leave a few, which will very quickly go to seeds after winter (it starts with me). You let it graze on the spot. And you remember where to leave this space there bare from August. You keep it wet. And you keep the soil very compact. And it would be amazing if it didn't lift like the hairs on a dog!

And that's why I asked when was sown this "big seed" to have at the end of winter such a beautiful development ....
Unless the winter has been particularly mild in Champagne?

Ok for other species I'm going to search

I retain the advice for my little shells and Cambrai ... I'll let go as you say.

Thank you
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 10/04/18, 20:39

Hi,

Some news while waiting to find the kitchen garden for spring break.
IMG_5277.JPG

The tomatoes and chillies under led grow quite well, they were entitled to a few outlets which we sunny.Les cabbages sown this Friday in the same cups start to rise, like corn. I have planned more transplanting this year, a part in duplicate with seedlings, as for beets, corn, sunflower, parsley ... it should start cucurbitaceous, but I really have no place I'm still waiting a week after transplanting tomatoes in a bucket.
For the anxious of precocity, being absent, I am more afraid of the sun than the cold and I prefer to implement early, covered ground allows to practice gardening at any time, our we are not chosen according to the weather.
Are implanted and pushed; garlic, onions, shallots, beans, peas, spinach, salad.
Are sown or planted; parsley, tuberous parsley, potatoes, carrots, turnips, pink radishes, radishes, spinach and lambs, those who have not risen next week will be sprinkled with the same variety, except parsley.

Olivier
1 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 02/05/18, 21:44

Hi,

Finally news, and a little prose after the spring break, soon the connection will arrive in the countryside and I can post more regularly ....
I reread the first pages of this thread, and this year is better launched ... better prepared and with a season that looks good for fruit, probably like 2010 for us. After being more than stubborn, planted a good dozen figs, including 3 this year, 9 little figs appeared, on 4 fig trees on the remaining 6, leaving the hope to harvest a day! they are protected by a forcing veil since Friday, probably for nothing since the weather looks exceptionally clemency.
I still lack the hay and I had to put straw, about 5 / 6 small round boots, put in the fork, because they are old non-manipulable boots .... This year I shorn only a few alleys, the harvest looks good and several fields are reserved for me, in a good month there will be the first new hay.
The garden of the orchard is enlarged a little, and the little maintenance time to spend it allows me to continue testing elsewhere, I now have 4 vegetable gardens, all with a little hay to harvest next. The land has become stale, rare weeds where there is some mulching.
Olivier.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 02/05/18, 21:56

The garden at 27 April, the picture taken in panoramic is more readable, I will probably continue in this light.
IMG_5404.JPG
A small half is planted (bottom), including double-layered potatoes, planted in the plant in hay and straw above, with particular attention not to make marked endains for a better distribution of rain. we do not see it but they are well started.
1 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 02/05/18, 22:13

The weeds (including the 2 maches) that break through are actually taking advantage of fertility like the vegetable garden, much brighter than the rest of the orchard.
IMG_5339.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG
Confident, I have not yet removed, except buttercups too close to crops, can be too much trouble, it does not grow as elsewhere but are still growing. In the upper part, the straw was put directly without mowing the 24 April, I expect big shoots for the strongest. Even higher, the regrowth of the forgotten potatoes have just been mulched and the flowering lilies spared while waiting for the seeds.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 02/05/18, 22:22

Pictures of the April 28.
IMG_5405.JPG
IMG_5406.JPG
IMG_5407.JPG
IMG_5408.JPG
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 02/05/18, 23:09

The kitchen garden of the valley.
This year in addition to the small tip lent last year, I can cultivate half of the garden next door. As I said, more hay, I could mow about twice the surface next door, which should be enough for summer crops or even fall. Motocultured and weeded it is seriously lacking in life, the 2 extra rotavator passages did not have to damage it much anymore. That said, without biomass I do not see (yet?) How to start otherwise. I left on permanent boards of 50 wide, without blocking me on the evolution. I sowed mustard, phacelia, buckwheat, parsley, red spinach and carrots under a thin layer of hay, and beets, without protection. the first were watered 3 once (every 2 days) while waiting for the rain, the beets only once before leaving, the rain coming. 45 / 50 watering cans by tour !, I hope that the installation will not be too long ...
I planted carrots and black radish for the seeds but the carrots have almost all disappeared, the bulbils of garlic and a tour of red onions.
The goal this year is to bring back life and biomass, harvesting as needed, destroying as needed for late implantations. In a few days, she comes back, where the hay brings shade and keeps the humidity, spiders, beetles, slugs and other come back, or just get busy.
IMG_5384.JPG
A detail photo that shows that the earth does not need to be prepared finely, even if the semi is less well distributed.
IMG_5390.JPG
Here clearly the bare part has not sprouted.
IMG_5389.JPG
Overview, on the left I only take care of the hay part, on the right boards, it is not buttées but just traced to the microtractor.
Here is the new vegetable garden to try to mix permanent boards and phenoculture more in the spirit of market gardening in living soil.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 03/05/18, 09:30

On one of the photos are not spinach?
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 03/05/18, 10:01

Nico239,
Yes, sown very early in February I think, while it was still freezing, to be consumed in salad while waiting for others.
Olivier.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 03/05/18, 10:14

Interesting ... I sowed mine (without any protection all winter) in November of memory and they are similar ....

The test of the next season by protecting them much more will be interesting ... because there it is obvious that they will not go to the pan before some time.
0 x