Vegetable garden of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Laziness of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 01/02/18, 11:59

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:Ok but it's complicated because in this case it is equivalent to no longer making garlic ... for example ....

No no. You sink clearly.

Scrape a little to see what the thickness of this expanded layer is and you adjust your planting depth accordingly ...

Ok that's perfect, this is the deduction that I ended up with ...

Adapt to the terrain ... and do not follow the generic advice ... Image
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/02/18, 12:08

nico239 wrote:
Adapt to the terrain ....

This is what the living does! Who doesn't have internet and can't read !!!
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/02/18, 12:08

nico239 wrote:
... and do not follow the generic advice ...

I think to demonstrate it abundantly!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 01/02/18, 12:20

This is exactly what I meant .... we are in line with your philosophy ... and mine too Image but when you start from 0 you only have the existing literature.

And on the subject I had not found a "discordant" or rather enlightened way to say to me: do not believe what you read and that the cayeux must see leaving the gardener it is bullshit, if you have a clay soil push the as it should otherwise they will rise to the surface ... Image

Besides in the photos they are limited I think but hey I will do regular watchtowers to delicately reinforce all of this.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 26/02/18, 23:56

Some news in pictures before the cold wave whose color we have not yet seen, when in the snow today 3cm in other words nothing at all except that it will hold a little because of the temperatures. ..

Salads and beans are growing for the moment.
The nursery is doing well
Coriander too
And everyone is preparing to face the great cold

The pros and cons of wood .... (4 feet are pieces of sawmill trunks)
We do tailor-made but the giant Sirexes wake up because (I suppose) of the combined heat of the house and the increase in days.

And then the little wonder of the past week

After the jays of the oaks

And after a female great spotted woodpecker

A sacred beast, young golden eagle

The diagnoses of species are not from me but from a friend animal photographer .....
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 07/03/18, 20:22

A small album of recent images and the snowfall of an 30aine cm

had to go up the races on foot ... it's good for land

the water reserve you saw overweight?

Yes, neglect, the part of the stopper had frozen but the gutter continued to pour below the ice level: oops.
The first shot of concrete showed that the pressure was not neutral ... the jet rose to 50cm and continued for a few minutes like an open tap

Already well affected by the wind this winter, the tunnel has again broken

after repair

a guy at 7 points at least for the wind
For the snow we will have to be on the lookout this time

But the reward is there then we ate the first salad (2 on the photo)

3 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 17/03/18, 16:46

You may remember that several weeks ago I "sowed" the cay trees in two very different places.

In the outdoor vegetable patch, under a good layer of hay but above all in a real swamp.
Indeed under the hay, already at the time the earth was very wet and cold.
And it is not with the last bad weather that it improved much on the contrary
We can say that under the hay it is full of water at the moment
Brief conditions, if we read the literature, VERY unfavorable to the growth of garlic
A priori the decay of cayeux was guaranteed

At the top of the garden
In a place very well exposed to the sun
The cayers are flush with the surface as recommended.
Which was a mistake because several of them were "ejected" on the surface forcing me to work to bury them again

In the end and TO DATE, well the growth is (almost) identical in the two places with heights which go from a few centimeters to a fortnight with a small advantage for the non hay part which seems normal since it is warmer .

Be careful the hay conceals a few centimeters giving the impression that the shoots from the hay are much less advanced than the others.

In total at this hour this makes us more than a hundred plants in correct condition

Here in the hay everything is fine.

And here at the top of the garden it's identical everything is fine.

So follow to see if any differences emerge as you grow
3 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 29/03/18, 02:32

Let's start modestly with a simple “double glazing” greenhouse tarpaulin frame to cover a space in straw bales.

This will test the resistance of these 10m2 screwed for the battens and stapled on all the recto and verso battens for the tarpaulin.
4 pavers of cement were laid in the middle of the 4 lengths to avoid any take-off

The P30 chassis are those that Ms. returned to me (initially built to cover the bales of straw outside), well now that winter has passed, she no longer needs it in the tunnel ...

To test the determination of rabbits in this very vulnerable system ...

In my opinion the sown lamb's lettuce will not last long as soon as they know how to squeeze between the boots that I naively tightened as tight as possible.

By installing this chassis near the small mound which borders part of the ground I realized that I had also planted there as a test for garlic in the tall grass .... (I had totally forgotten it) place necessarily well drained since sloping and full sun.

Well, despite some competition, well, they are doing well and they are also coming out like the others: under cold and wet hay, or in open, sunny and bare ground: is garlic all-terrain?

The question is ... (always the same): do rabbits like garlic?

It does not encourage gardening and yet ....
Do not try to see them on this view, even on the original photo I do not distinguish them, they do not (still) stand out from the dry herbs

It remains to be seen whether (apart from rabbits) growth will come to an end: there must be another fifteen in this corner.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/04/18, 00:05

The photos of the day ....

I did some housework in the outdoor vegetable garden and moved the hay to sow .... and under the hay I found ... seed potatoes (or so I eat ... it's a any plant ???).

But if they are potatoes then they did not come from last year's plantations ... but from the peelings ... from last year .... spread in the vegetable patch

This means that these potatoes were "planted" in a period between (roughly) spring and autumn 2017 to germinate in spring 2018 ...

I take my word for it that we should plant potatoes in the spring for a harvest in late summer but there it seems that in fact we could plant them in bulk at any time and that they would germinate when the conditions suit them by making fun of the precepts ...

Suddenly it is certain that I will not be shy to swing at all times and in all conditions without necessarily waiting for the famous opportune moment which we wonder more and more if it exists in the end.

It goes without saying that after this discovery I buried them under 20cm of hay ...

The post above reminds that garlic which MUST be planted in a dry and sunny place grows indifferently in a dry and sunny place, under 20cm of wet and iced hay or in the tall grass of the meadow

And another one with tarragon .... below

Sells which should not have passed the winter according to the seller (on a plant market) and which had already spent the winter in the Luberon, then dug up hard, then replanted anyhow last year in spring (very average summer harvest) and which come out there without any maintenance and without any hay cover during the winter (we completely abandoned the "aromatic garden" thinking that everything would disappear ...

Result the 4 plants leave at different stages, that of the photo being the most advanced.

Good for the Livèche nothing abnormal: she likes clay (it is served) and is not afraid of the cold ... here she comes back to the tip of her nose there too in an environment of undergrowth since the whole aromatic garden spent the winter under a very light carpet of oak leaves (because the oaks ... do not lose their leaves or so little in winter ... it will fall in spring)

We see that by moving the butt a little in autumn we get (under tunnel) a very early harvest of various salads (from the seedlings of the salads that were seeded, and there is still to sow) and that the beans are doing perfectly well (it was still -2 in the tunnel the day before yesterday).

Obviously this little square is just the fruit of the time that we lacked to do (much) more last fall.

We hope to be released from other work so that the tunnel is covered this time at the end of winter 2019 ...

Among the spontaneous regrowths to date we have
- peas
- celery
- chard

Well this has nothing to do but definitely we have a colander chicken coop ... : Twisted:

The fox has swindled us 3 hens by passing under the fence after having slipped between the breeze blocks ... but he managed to get out.

Unlike the wild cat fool who found himself trapped like an idiot after (probably) sniffing a piece of paschal lamb given to the only survivor: that will teach us.

He at least gave us the indication of our bad baricadage after the attack of the fox.
Strengthen

Well, leaving the door open, he ended up spinning ...
-

Madame has planted a whole bunch of stuff all over the place under the tunnel.
Personally outside I kept chewing, radishes will soon be the same for seedlings of salads.

If I manage to make a chassis as planned I will try a first tomato throw.
3 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/04/18, 09:06

nico239 wrote:... but peelings ... from last year ... spread in the vegetable patch

A potato peel is nothing but ... cuttings! Since the pdt (the tuber) is a swollen piece of stem ...

Often it "rots". But sometimes, in fact, the germ carried by the peel can take root ...

I am in the process of making "cuttings" of the sprouts which have developed on my pdt of consumption. I loosen the germ and I transplant it. I eat the pot. The nightshade's ability to root is remarkable (ditto for tomatoes, which form roots if the stem is laid down).
0 x