Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Carl » 16/03/18, 20:26

The author of the Youtube channel "Jardiner au naturel" uses an old saw to open his furrows.
See 1mn40 on this video:

What do you think ?

1 x
Adept of laziness and sensitive to the quality of what my family consumes, I wish to make a vegetable garden of the lazy!
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 16/03/18, 21:54

The nod of this Youtubeur to Didier during his video made me smile ....

We will notice in passing the common point: he speaks in front of the camera, while his wife works behind (I tease you Didier : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:
who likes it, chatis well!)
1 x
Adept of laziness and sensitive to the quality of what my family consumes, I wish to make a vegetable garden of the lazy!
ChristianC
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ChristianC » 17/03/18, 18:37

About the sillonnage

In the hérault, one can start sowing some vegetables in the ground.

But it is necessary to "cross". The purchase of an edger is a headache and the prices do not make it wrong: it is really an investment, so as long as it lasts a long time and that we have the right tool .

In the meantime, the "sillonnette based on bread knives exists, the hand saw works, but in hay too recently laid, it is impossible to saw.

So humans invented the "sillo-mains" a long time ago. Of course you can see that in the photo my furrows are not very straight; but nature pays little attention to it (as far as nature can "pay attention" to anything - anthropocentrism when you hold us!). Seedlings will emerge as well - depending on environmental conditions.

So I proceeded on my width of 5 meters:
- on the knees, I start at one end of the line and backwards, I open the wet hay and decomposing, deporting on the sides to leave open a furrow 10 15 centimeters, revealing the soil.
- I pass the teeth of the fork (hay) in the furrow to loosen the soil in which I will deposit the seeds.
- the deposited seeds, I pass with a small rake (handle 25 cm, 10 iron 15 and wide) to cover the sowing.

IMG_4382lateral.JPG
furrows by hand
IMG_4382lateral.JPG (161.94 KIO) Accessed 3778 times

I found that it was much faster than furrowing with the saw and less tiring. Of course, you have to agree to be on your knees, but on the hay it is not unpleasant (for someone who does not suffer from back ... and knees).
Attachments
IMG_4382.JPG
furrows by hand
IMG_4382.JPG (148.17 KB) Viewed times 3778
3 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 17/03/18, 21:58

ChristianC wrote:... but in a hay too recently laid, it is impossible to saw ....

Thank you for this information ! like it's just a month, nothing serves that I'm looking for the right method =)
I must favor the godets for the moment.

I think waiting for my seedlings peas reach 10cm before putting them in the ground.
What technique do you recommend to protect them from possible rabbits ...?

Protect each foot with a bottle with the cut ass?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 18/03/18, 08:22

Carl wrote:
ChristianC wrote:I think waiting for my seedlings peas reach 10cm before putting them in the ground.
What technique do you recommend to protect them from possible rabbits ...?

against rabbits it is the whole garden that must be protected, they attack your peas regardless of their size and the rest of aileurs
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
ChristianC
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ChristianC » 18/03/18, 10:15

Carl wrote:What technique do you recommend to protect them from possible rabbits ...?

Poor rabbits! it's going to hurt their noses, right?

Check because it seems to me that the subject was addressed on the site: the fence around the garden, well buried, the mini-greenhouse on the row of peas?
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/03/18, 10:23

I offer you my "mobile mesh frames", which I made from recycled boards (single-use pallets used for the delivery of certain heavy, fragile and bulky objects: shower tray, etc.).

I made "rectangles"; above: a small mesh type "rabbit cage" netting. A handle at each end. Adapted to your boards. I did against the birds. But it will also work for rabbits ...
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/03/18, 11:13

The PP this morning!

That's what the Potager du Sloth was like this morning! Last night, I was coming back from an open day at the Agricultural High School and it was the rally of Sweden !!!

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

For information, on the protections provided by the snow, and the various shelters (chassis, greenhouses):

- "weather" temp (at my station): - 2,5 °
- temp under glass frame n ° 1 (mulched soil with thick hay, seedling plates or bucket plates) (no insulating tarpaulin - I got home too late, there was already a nice layer of snow; the electric resistance "anti-freeze" not connected): + 0,7 °
- temp under glass frame n ° 2 (bare soil, winter lettuce): + 1,4 °
- temp in the greenhouse: - 0,7 ° at sunrise; + 0,1 ° now (11 h).
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/03/18, 11:49

The hay market is growing ...

Yesterday I met a manager of ETA (Agricultural Works Company), who is also a supplier of farmers and horse and straw equestrian centers ...

He "diverted" towards me (we knew each other from my previous functions): 'You, I must thank you! I deliver hay throughout the region! "So obviously," phenoculture "is developing to the point that it impacts the hay market ...

I therefore drew his attention to the fact that it is advisable to think about collecting hay of "poor quality" (as fodder for animals): late mowing on protected sites, hay having taken water. .) for this specific market ...
4 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 18/03/18, 13:59

I can also testify that when I ordered my first two bales of hay in January (in Brittany), the farmer told me that I was the third person who asked him for a kitchen garden!
1 x