Agroecology could double agricultural production

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/09/13, 13:12

Did67who does not see that we are in agreement?
However, on the Irish question, the detail that separates us is that it is the evolution of the British legislation which has led to a fragmentation of land and a quasi-monoculture food of the potato, from which results then agronomic concern (mildew).
Well, the disagreement is only on the timeline, but it's still an important point! 8)

I am among those who think that the system is preparing for difficult days.

you say, calling yourself a pessimist; I think it would be more appropriate to see realism here, even if your modesty suffers!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/09/13, 13:21

Janic, you write:
Compare comparable things! What energy expenditure would it take to transport the same amount of freight by road, rail or air (assuming an existing network)?

The problem is not to compare various theoretical possibilities since there is no doubt that the solution of transport by container carriers (more generally sea) is optimized in the process of globalization.
No, in reality, the question that arises is the very organization of this distribution of tasks which makes it necessary to resort to these disproportionate displacements and whose only justification is the creation of value, without taking into account the destructions that it entails. .
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 22/09/13, 13:22

Janic wrote:sen no sen hello
In any case, it will be necessary to tackle transport, let alone maritime transport.
When we know that the 15 largest container containers in the world pollute more than the entire global car fleet!
you have to compare comparable things! What energy expenditure would it take to transport the same amount of freight by road, rail or air (assuming an existing network)?

None since this would not be possible: CQFD!
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Did67

by Did67 » 22/09/13, 14:49

Ahmed wrote:Did67who does not see that we are in agreement?
On the Irish question, however, the detail which separates us is that it is the evolution of the British legislation which has led to a fragmentation of land and to a quasi-monoculture food of the potato,

Ah ???

I'm not old enough in history to know this genesis!

Potato is a suitable crop for this type of climate / soil. At the end of the 19th century, populations were growing everywhere and the "systems" in place were under tension. I am talking about technique / agronomy: number of field crops to feed / ha available = shorten rotations, develop food crops ... Hence also weakening (greater impact of a parasite which finds "less balanced" crops; but also greater economic impact because “all the eggs in one basket”).

Phenomenon that political decisions, laws, speed up or slow down. Accelerate in general everywhere, the systems are still very little democratic even when they are on paper, it is the easy frank who imposes its rules ...

Unless it is therefore the reverse: laws which set off spirals that a constrained and under tension system can no longer "neutralize" ...
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 22/09/13, 19:32

None since this would not be possible: CQFD!
so this remains the least worst solution! CQFD
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/09/13, 12:11

Ahmed wrote:J
It seems to me that you minimize the ability of forests to produce soils from the source rock. Although these productions are slow, they are not negligible, since at the origin of agricultural soils.

To close this old story: in another thread, I spoke of forest in balance, compared to balance C.

This has no direct link with the ability of plants to "create" living soils from "pure mineral".

In another thread, it was a question of unfavorable C balance if we produced too many pellets ... Which is a whole other element of the debate. C is either "sequestered" in organic matter, including organic matter in the soil, or oxidized to CO² and then shuttles between the two ... (rapid aerobic cécolmposition and combustion of firewood).

So a forest in "equilibrium" (same quantity of standing biomass / "rational" management where "felling" = natural growth) will be fairly neutral in CO², whatever wood is used.

And indeed, to one degree: the organic matter that accumulates in a stable form (long-lived humus) in the soil, which thickens.

[as "long-standing" and not destroyed lumber will also sequester CO²]
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Agroecology could double agricultural production

by izentrop » 27/02/18, 23:49

Lucien Séguy gives his version of agroecology

Water, temperature and plant genius, you can do anything

0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"