Which crusher to produce BRF (Raméal Fragmented Wood)?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: What mill to produce BRF?

by Ahmed » 06/01/18, 14:46

I agree with the content of your message, but with one nuance: the MIG * also makes it possible to obtain very good welds, when the work is done by a qualified and conscientious welder (possibly with control). Of course, on these cheap chinoiserie, what is sought is only the highest speed of execution possible ...

* And it has MIG and MIG! Between a low end and a pulsed MIG, there is no common measure. It should be known that in the professional field the use of MIG is generalized, only the welding on "pipe" is exclusively for the arc station (for sealing reasons).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 06/01/18, 15:11

[Until then, the MIG were for me Russian fighter planes!]
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/01/18, 15:45

Also, but not only! :D
It is the lot of these acronyms to be polysemic * ... 8) (well, here I'm having fun, be indulgent)

The custom is to talk about MIG => Met al Inert Gaz to designate a semi-automatic welding machine, but in reality it is most of the time MAG (for steel) => Met al Active Gaz, since argon (neutral) contains a little carbon dioxide which increases the temperature of the arc (or the melt, I do not know anything about it **). Note: between the two it is only the gas that changes.

* Like STEP, for example ...
** What is important to remember is that it heats up more and therefore penetrates more (the filler metal mixes with the metal of the parts to be welded).
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/01/18, 00:23

I remember that Ahmed had pointed out that moving this kind of shredder was not easy. I solved it by carrying it in my wheelbarrow.
This shredder is useful for training branches, the rare blockages easy to unlock, thanks to the reverse and the fact that it is quiet.
Grinding is not very fine, but it is not a problem for composting.

This is the bin that must be shaken regularly to avoid jams that mequicked the most. I fired it and to guarantee safety, I added a chute at the exit ... what a saving of time.
Attachments
IMG_20180126_145803.jpg
IMG_20180126_145803.jpg (242.63 KB) Viewed times 3670
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/01/18, 12:15

Yes, I was talking about heavier shredders that are sometimes equipped with ridiculously small wheels, which makes moving laborious. But, they're all wheelbarrows, sort of ...
In your case, the high center of gravity, the minimalist wheels and the short wheelbase complicate movement: the wheelbarrow is a good solution for this moderate weight.
Indeed, the reduced capacity of the tank and the fact that the crushed is quite abundant is a limiting factor; for normal production, direct ejection is preferable.

My last project was cedar branches: the branches are tough because the size reduces the growth and multiplies the hard layers, but, provided it is limited in diameter (4-5 cm, about) the rate is good. The foliage passes more easily than that of the spruce, because it is less dense; the ends of the twigs are well fragmented except when the rotor is degraded, in which case the grinding is coarser.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/01/18, 12:23

Ahmed wrote:
My last project was cedar branches: the branches are tough because the size reduces the growth and multiplies the hard layers, but, provided it is limited in diameter (4-5 cm, about) the rate is good. The foliage passes more easily than that of the spruce, because it is less dense; the ends of the twigs are well fragmented except when the rotor is degraded, in which case the grinding is coarser.

Are you doing a test with thuja "BRF" ??? [for conifers, I put "BRF" in quotes; since they are not prone to "leaf fall", I think it is still slightly different than the "real BRF" of hardwood - storage of useful elements in living wood at the time of leaf fall]

This interests me to the highest degree! As also the softwoods (spruce)!

- decomposition: speed ??
- pH: acidification ??
- depressive effects ???
- Slowing down of bacterial mechanisms due to terpene derivatives ???

You know, like me, on this subject, the famous "we say that ...", "we know that ...", which are almost viral on the internet! I don't really believe it. I would like to "objectify" that.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/01/18, 12:43

No, it's not BRF, but softwood. There are two possible ways to use it, ie to partially compost it according to the method Jean Pain (it is not the water that is missing, right now!), or spread it on borders of decorative plants. This is the second option that has been retained here.
As you know I have a real experience in composting bark mainly resinous, with very good results. However, I have never had an equivalent experience with groundwood or spruce; by comparison with the tests of the nephew of Jean Pain, that I had the opportunity to meet a lot of times, I would be tempted to think of a rather good result, but I can not go further than that ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/02/18, 19:06

Two new small shredding "sites": the neighbour's hedge trimmings and Douglas fir branches torn off by the last gust of wind.
Those of the neighbor are not too big and quite diversified, rather long rods, which is very convenient because it speeds up the pace. Fine douglas branches always pass very well, but the rotor slows down oddly on the slightly stronger sections (I do not have big ones) ...
I stuffed the first time => dismantling: release, but little material to remove ... the rotor turns almost freely and, optimistically, I go back up, thinking that the engine will overcome the remaining hard point and "rebelote!" -jamming. After checking, it was only a small chip that prevented the restart. I finished the job by promising myself to check the belts later.
This morning, I finally break the crankcase to have the heart and there, I understand everything: one belt is broken and the other in very poor condition; a lot of rubber crumb everywhere. The crusher worked practically on the inertia of the rotor and the slightest effort slowed it down without making the engine work hard, since the slippage of the remaining belt, very distended, was transmitting only a part of the motive power ... :(
For a while, I thought it would be wise to stock a pair of belts in advance ... : Oops:
I remind you that the belts are wear parts that play a key role of buffer for the engine, so this situation is not abnormal given the volume of ground material produced.
IMG0051A.jpg
IMG0051A.jpg (172.22 KB) Viewed times 3569
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/02/18, 17:57

Yes, you are right to insist on the role of "fuse" that the belts play!

To replace that of my riding mower, I found a website that offers an incredible amount of belts of all types, with different sections, different lengths ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 19/02/18, 19:31

I have a friend who had the same shredder as the one that preceded this one (with the live knife support disc) and, after a brutal blockage has skewed the crankshaft of the engine ... :(
Without going so far, these belts dampen the inevitable jolts, which is important for the longevity of the mechanics.

To replace the belts, it is possible to buy the spare parts on the site of purchase of the crusher, but I prefer to address to my local agricultural mechanic (he is also directly involved, because I must rid him of a pile of pruning branches 8) ).
1 x