Paris in the snow, snow, snow ...

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Re: Paris in the snow, snow, snow ...

by Christophe » 08/02/18, 16:54

Leo Maximus wrote:Winter tires all year round wear out a bit faster, but in the end it costs less.

That 2 trains winter / summer it's certain..But only one train 4 seasons I'm not sure ...
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 08/02/18, 17:18

Christophe wrote:When you say "Ice" I don't agree: no tire holds up!

It should be said more often because it may be the cause of overconfidence and therefore accident!

On snow, even with winter tires you have to drive carefully because a plate of ice is always possible ...

Of course. But the first carelessness is to ride the winter in summer tires ...

We can meet winter conditions in summer in the mountains and better still be in winter tires.
Last edited by Leo Maximus the 08 / 02 / 18, 17: 34, 2 edited once.
1 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 08/02/18, 17:29

Christophe wrote:When you say "Ice" I don't agree: no tire holds up!

It should be said more often because it may be the cause of overconfidence and therefore accident!

On snow, even with winter tires you have to drive carefully because a plate of ice is always possible ...

There is also the oil ice. In braking areas or at the speed bumps, you often see a big black spot on the road. It is formed by the accumulation of the fallen oils of the vehicles. When it rains, the oil rises and the area becomes very slippery. These black spots can be identified 100 even 200 meters before when the weather is dry, more difficult when it rains. But most drivers ignore it or do not care.

In all circumstances you have to be careful.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 08/02/18, 19:17

No, I do not confuse ice and snow. There are performance tires on the ice like the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8, the best in the world, it seems:

Video with a Tesla P85 on a sloping icy turn, she's doing! :

1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/02/18, 22:12

Oh Nokian too ... I told you they were doing well! 8)

But the Hakkapeliitta are studded tires! Of course it changes the situation! : Cheesy:

Studded tires are banned in France no?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/02/18, 22:17

Leo Maximus wrote:An uplifting video on youtube that compares summer and winter tires on packed snow / ice

Ah ah it's Amneville Snowhall where I've already skied a bit! 8)

I can tell you that it is icy as snow! It is a mixture of soup above and ice below ... not so good!

But on the video it seems to be quite fresh snow ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 08/02/18, 22:33

passage this afternoon at brico leclerc for my usual shopping: in sales, car chains 14 euro with new label 7 euro ... I chose the right dimension for my 205 (I had channels for my gs but not yet for the 205) and I go to the checkout: 3,5 euro! they really want to get rid of it!

if those who got stuck in Paris knew there was the solution to 3,5 euro!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/02/18, 22:43

The use of chains is highly regulated ... If you put in when there is not enough snow you screw up the road ...

In Paris there was not enough snow to use chains: you need a good layer of snow packed for that!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 08/02/18, 23:46

in any case when we can not go ahead with ordinary tires, whether it's snow or ice, with the chains we advance and we do not block the road

of course when there is ice there is not everywhere ... so or there is none is the tank method and it may be used the road ... but it is worth better to come home without an accident than to miss a trip on the ice storm and to occupy the fireman the samu and the hospital

when we put chains we do not roll fast so the wear of the road is not that bad

I find bizare on a forum econology advise to leave snow tires all year round while it consumes more energy

I find it more logical to have a good energy-efficient tire for the majority of the year, and chains to get out of the difficult and rare situation

and I insist: public transit should make it a point to have the right equipment to ride the days of snow and ice, to set a good example and provide service

do not talk to me about prices! the chains serve so few times that the same served me on a dozen consecutive GS ... the rat could use the same for as long as I saw the age of their bus

of course, when the weather is bad public transport is slower ... instead of canceling it, the number must be increased to provide the service

likewise for the sncf ... the tgv can not run at high speed! so we have to add more wagons to make the good debit of the passenger, and not cancel trains

public transit is ecologically useful, but it must be trustworthy, not collapse at the slightest difficulty
0 x