Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
ibex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by ibex » 18/01/18, 16:56

we made a lot of ponds with the EPDM tarpaulin, it's quite heavy to put in place if the basin is large, it is necessary to be several to avoid too much galley. Make the profile of the pool in steps, put a geotextile and cover the edges of sand before laying the EPDM. Plan an escape for the critters that will fall into the water of course. In Isère there are subsidies to set up ponds, I do not know what is elsewhere.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/01/18, 17:16

Oh I did not know he had subsidies ... ours being ridiculous I doubt that it is taken into account. : Mrgreen:

In fact we first realized the small with a thermoformed basin ... pfff on our ground slope is very difficult to ask correctly.

So we fired and we find that it is much cooler with the EPDM and in addition we can make a basin a little bigger and deeper.

For the profile it may be 3 sides "steep" and a side slope gently beach style: but nothing is definitive.
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 18/01/18, 17:17

Thank you for your answers. Perso it would be a very small pool of maxi 2 m², lack of space.
The evaporation must be huge in summer I guess ...
0 x
gek
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gek » 18/01/18, 20:57

Hello,

I also made a low tech (EDPM) with EDM geotextile underneath, 3h three friends to dig and pose tarpaulins. Then the dressing takes time but it's worth it. As for the mosquitoes, without fish but quickly colonized by a whole lot of critters (dragonflies, notonectes) the larvae were devoured in a few days and nothing since. You have to put a lot of plants including submerged ones to oxygenate the water.
0 x
Den54
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Den54 » 18/01/18, 21:31

gek wrote:Hello,

I also made a low tech (EDPM) with EDM geotextile underneath, 3h three friends to dig and pose tarpaulins. Then the dressing takes time but it's worth it. As for the mosquitoes, without fish but quickly colonized by a whole lot of critters (dragonflies, notonectes) the larvae were devoured in a few days and nothing since. You have to put a lot of plants including submerged ones to oxygenate the water.

There is 2-3 years ago, I had planned to make a big enough one, but I gave up on the road; I was inspired by a fairly well done site it seemed to me, for beginners or not, http://www.passionbassin.com/

@Thouvenel, thank you for the precisions above, I will look for your clover then ^^
0 x
Den54
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Den54 » 18/01/18, 22:25

For subsidies in Isère, I looked quickly done, it is reserved for communes seems it.

Et :!: attention :!: for lovers of ponds (real ponds), these are not ponds, and they are subject to regulations (in particular request in town hall, and less than 50 m from a neighbor ... whatever the size) It would be still a pity to have to fill it - with its inhabitants - because of a neighbor "in his right"
https://www.efl.fr/actualites/particuli ... 0e3fc3502d

(One can not even more or almost already in our campaigns to have a henhouse and his cock ... :frown: )
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 19/01/18, 07:32

Does the size of the caïeu presume the size of the pod it will do?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/01/18, 10:29

I read - but not experienced myself - that indeed, it was appropriate to plant the largest (upper) cloves if we wanted to have big garlic ...

[But I also remember having read that you had to dig, that you had to fertilize, that you had to treat, that you should not put the onions in a soil rich in organic matter, etc etc etc ... So I doubt what I read. I will try to pay attention to the harvest, because I put everything in my autumn garlic that I had bought, the least clove, the biggest - external - or smaller - internal. I could not do the link objectively, but if there are big and small heads, we will not know. But if there are only big, or medium, or small, we will know that it is not related to the size of the planted cloves!]
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/01/18, 10:44

On the question of ponds, apart from the "technical construction" aspect:

a) A "living" pond, like a living soil, has its interest. Some of the animals that inhabit it or that live nearby, have their role in a vegetable garden. For example, toads eat ... slugs! It may be ugly, but effective! I was happy - although surprised - to find one in my greenhouse, under the drip at the base of a tomato! Wetlands also attract, for example, snakes, which are carnivorous (rodents) ...

b) But to form a living "ecosystem", you need more than a small water hole! There are questions of thermal inertia, quantity of water, different zones (humid, shallow, deep) ... I think that no more than a planter is a "vegetable garden in living soil", a small pond is not a wetland of ecological interest ... It's just fun - or almost.

c) To know how much a pond evaporates from "water height", it would be necessary to know the evapotranspiration of the place. It is climatic data, not easily accessible (it is sold, for those who practice irrigation). In an old report, for Alsace, I found: June: 100 mm / July: 110 mm / August: 90 mm. For these 3 months, that makes a layer of water of 300 mm = 30 cm.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/01/18, 10:53

Thouvenel wrote: you can sow crimson clover that will be pretty hardy and with beautiful bloom, you will have a real cover. Attention young seedlings are fragile frost, so planting must be done in late August for the clover has had time to develop.

In general, clovers are large producers of biomass, which can be mowed and mowed. They are legumes, which, in poor soil, can fix atmospheric nitrogen. The rooting is powerful but of "pivot" type (whereas the grasses have small roots all over the surface - hence a "visible" effect of crumbling, but not deep. The clovers will rather descend and make galleries a once the dead plant ...

Crimson clover is not normally freezing. So we can install it at the end of summer to "cultivate" it the following year.

The shamrocks of Alexandria (and Persia, which I recently discovered) are freezing. There, it is more for the "extensive" who will devote a board, a year, to this culture, which "will die" all alone the coming winter. They are quite fast and can be cultivated after rapid cultivation (onions, garlic, for example) ...
2 x