Bitcoin and cryptocurrency, what's a financial bubble? Explanations in 5 minutes chrono!

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Bitcoin and cryptocurrency, what's a financial bubble? Explanations in 5 minutes chrono!

by sen-no-sen » 15/01/18, 16:51

Christophe wrote:
sen-no-sen wrote:Overall and like everything else, the internet has only increased overall energy consumption.
I grant you that it allowed to close video clubs but for the rest there was only one phenomenon of addition.

Frankly if we had to do the pros and cons of the internet the list goes on ...

I think we can safely say that the Internet has STRONGLY reduced energy intensity!
energies-fossil-nuclear / oil-and-GDP-by-country-intensity-energetics-t5022.html
climate-change-co2 / carbon-intensity-linked al-intensity-energetics-t4885.html

The Internet has made it possible to optimize the dissipation of energy with the aim of promoting the development of many economic markets ... which, overall, tend towards merciless growth.
In a second step, the arrival of social networks and 80% of trivialities carried, does not seem to me to be a token of any savings! : roll:

I think so: any centralization of service is less energy-consuming (and costly in the broad sense) than dispersion.

Yes and no but in final reasoning, clearly no! : Lol: Let me explain:
Large monopolistic structures appear following periods of growth in a relatively stable economy.
So it is right to operate a reasoning as you do: concentrating the means is a pledge of savings, but it is above all a pledge of savings ... in personnel, much less in energy *!
On the one hand, such structures appear during periods of energy mismanagement(typically the current period) on the other, the accumulation of internal contradictions in the system means that such businesses can only operate with a low energy cost.
This is essentially the same problem as found in the large food distribution.

Good example but where do you come from?

Optimization (typically the case stated above) at first glance saves staff and more rarely energy *, but this optimization is carried out within a system which invariably tends towards the exponential.
In reality the whole anthropotechnical process is based on this notion: optimizing in order to saturate.

* The cost of the work is not the same everywhere, it is not uncommon for a raw material to be produced for example in Ivory Coast, then to transform in China to be sold in Europe ... it is more optimization of production costs than energy optimization which prevails in most cases.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Bitcoin and cryptocurrency, what's a financial bubble? Explanations in 5 minutes chrono!

by Ahmed » 15/01/18, 20:03

Christophe, you write:
It took a few hours to "make" one 10 years ago, today it's a few years ... with the same computing power ...

This story of "calculation" is a kind of justification, an analogy with the extraction of gold which, it requires work => value, except that here it is completely bogus and that the only interest for its operation , it is to regulate its expansion ... This "mining" does not seem to be present in other crypto-currencies ...

Further:
That's delaying, good wording :) and who knows, can be also "damping"?

Admitting that there is a possible delay effect, it would rather be an aggravating factor; I do not see how it would be likely to absorb anything ... Unless illusions have some virtues that I do not know?

I forgot the dogs! :D This saying means that if you compare two things that are in the same state, you cannot argue about one by relying on the other. Two wet dogs cannot dry each other ... : Wink:

Sen-no-sen, you write:
Optimization (typically the case stated above) at first glance saves staff and more rarely energy *, but this optimization is carried out within a system which invariably tends towards the exponential.

By grouping services on the same platform, the staff is saved by the implementation of large technical means which would not be justified in small structures, technical means subject to intensive use.

Below, you add:
In reality the whole anthropotechnical process is based on this notion: optimizing in order to saturate.

The increase in productivity is a local improvement in performance; one of its consequences is a decrease in unit profit (in a competitive context, a lower cost price leads to lower the sale price to take market share), this implies that the company is forced to increase its overall production to increase his total profit. The destruction of competitors corresponds to a positive effect for the system at a certain stage of its evolution, since it frees productive forces for other productions (Schumpeter had illustrated this phase). However, it is clear that this joint accumulation of material goods and abstract value, on the one hand, and its consequences on natural wealth, on the other, cannot continue indefinitely: this is what was well perceived Stuart Mill, in the XIX century and he was in favor of a stable economy, without growth: this position was however untenable, since the basic principle of capitalism demands perpetual growth ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/01/18, 01:23

A quick article that slightly moderates the ecological aspect of cryptos: http://www.liberation.fr/planete/2018/0 ... ns_1620302
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 16/01/18, 19:11

... which slightly moderates the ecological aspect of cryptos ...

Serious? Besides you, is there anyone who found crypto "green"? : Lol:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/01/18, 23:03

Ahmed wrote:
... which slightly moderates the ecological aspect of cryptos ...

Serious? Besides you, is there anyone who found crypto "green"? : Lol:

I never said they were green! I said that they were no worse than the financial system in place ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 16/01/18, 23:22

Okay! So let's say that the wording noted lent itself to a flaw at a wrong interpretation ... 8)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 16/01/18, 23:46

Say, bitcoin is a little mine (sic!) These days: beware of the bear! : Wink:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/01/18, 01:50

Ahmed wrote:Say, bitcoin is a little mine (sic!) These days: beware of the bear! : Wink:

You find? :) -20% in 1 day is normal for a crypto and it can even be interesting as I explained above ...

https://www.lesechos.fr/finance-marches ... 145346.php
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/01/18, 15:05

You're not going to go so far as to say that Le Monde is a good newspaper if I put that to you?

When bitcoin is used to do a good deed

The Samusocial of Paris organizes until February 15 a collection of donations… in bitcoins. A first in France.

THE WORLD | 17.01.2018 at 08:51 • Updated on 17.01.2018 at 09:18 | By Agnès Lambert

Samusocial hopes to raise up to 10 euros in bitcoins.

"Bitcoin donation": the oxymoron is almost perfect. Since January 15, highly speculative cryptocurrency can indeed be used to act of solidarity. The Samusocial of Paris, an organization working on behalf of the homeless, is launching a campaign to collect donations in bitcoins until February 15, in partnership with La Maison du bitcoin. "This is the first time in France that a solidarity organization has accepted donations in bitcoins," says Stéphane Delaunay, director of communications for Samusocial in Paris.
The sum collected will be used to purchase computers for a future accommodation center in Paris

On February 15, the bitcoins collected will be converted into euros by La Maison du bitcoin, which itself will participate in the operation by giving 0,5 bitcoin (equivalent to 4 euros at the current price). The amount raised will be used to purchase computers for the next Samusocial Paris accommodation center, which will open in 600.

Twenty-four hours after the launch of the device, 18 people made a donation for a total amount of 0,122 903 bitcoin, or approximately 3 euros. Samusocial hopes to raise up to 1 euros, a figure to compare with the 124 euros collected from individuals in 10.

"We accompanied the Samusocial of Paris for the implementation of this device following the request of a donor who wanted to make a donation in bitcoin," said Brian O'Hagan, the marketing director of La Maison du bitcoin. A way to buy conscience for the sulphurous bitcoin, against which the Autorité des Marchés Financiers regularly warns savers? "This donation campaign shows that bitcoin is not just about speculation, it can also be used for solidarity," said Brian O'Hagan, who is considering other operations with associations if this first attempt is successful. .

Note: donating bitcoins to Samusocial in Paris does not allow you to benefit from the income tax reduction. For a simple reason: "Donations are anonymous: we do not know the donors, so we cannot send them a tax receipt", summarizes Stéphane Delaunay. Only the cryptographic address of the donor, consisting of a series of numbers and letters, and the amount of the donation appear. The 100% bitcoin donation is therefore 100% selfless.

Learn more about http://www.lemonde.fr/argent/article/20 ... jyxrcQ0.99
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"