Is induction cooking eco-friendly? Comparative induction and electrical resistance (ceramic glass)

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Is the induction kitchen eco-friendly? Comparative induction and electrical resistance (ceramic glass)

by sicetaitsimple » 28/12/17, 21:17

To illustrate, on page 2 of this document, a Sankey diagram for France in 2016.

Left primary energy, right final energy, center losses and transfers.

http://www.statistiques.developpement-d ... ai2017.pdf
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Is the induction kitchen eco-friendly? Comparative induction and electrical resistance (ceramic glass)

by sicetaitsimple » 28/12/17, 21:41

Ahmed wrote:Sicetaitsimple, you write:
But it also needs (energy) for oil, coal, gas, it is not specific to nuclear.

This is absolutely correct, but in the case of nuclear power, we are being rebuffed our ears with 0% CO2!

You mean CO2 emissions compared between an electric plate and a gas plate, right?

If that is not it, it still takes us a lot away from the original subject !!!!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/12/17, 21:48

sicetaitsimple wrote:
We do not blame a photovoltaic panel for having a yield of 15/20% (energy produced / energy received) or a wind turbine (produced energy / energy from the wind passing through it) for having a yield of 30/35%, seems to me? We don't know how to do better today, that's all. Well it's a bit the same for nuclear ...

A bit the same, but not quite!

For the wind turbine or the PV panels, there is indeed an energy "down payment" to build and install the system ... But then, the energy comes "for free", whether it is used or not. ..

For nuclear, there is indeed a gray energy put into the construction of the system: manufacture of the power plant and all its components. But then, all along, we have to go and find the fuel, extract it, refine it, treat it ... It is a gray energy of functioning, in a way. In addition therefore ...
2 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/12/17, 21:57

@ Sicetaitsimple: I don't know if it keeps pots away :D , but I was following your comment; the details of Did in his last message excuses me from going further on this point ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 28/12/17, 22:04

Did67 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
We do not blame a photovoltaic panel for having a yield of 15/20% (energy produced / energy received) or a wind turbine (produced energy / energy from the wind passing through it) for having a yield of 30/35%, seems to me? We don't know how to do better today, that's all. Well it's a bit the same for nuclear ...

A bit the same, but not quite!

For the wind turbine or the PV panels, there is indeed an energy "down payment" to build and install the system ... But then, the energy comes "for free", whether it is used or not. ..

For nuclear, there is indeed a gray energy put into the construction of the system: manufacture of the power plant and all its components. But then, all along, we have to go and find the fuel, extract it, refine it, treat it ... It is a gray energy of functioning, in a way. In addition therefore ...

The "somewhat similar" would refer to the performance and its technological limits.

For "gray energy", you are right, there is initial gray energy and gray energy of operation in the case of nuclear. there are lots of studies on that.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/12/22, 09:18

Little up!

I bought another induction hob at L... at 32€ yesterday...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 08/12/22, 10:03

Just a little tip...

I hear here and there that vitroceram induction is faster than the standard electric hob...
It's true, but I would say that it is “less slow”... How long to boil water?

There's a way to go much faster! Who compared with current modern(?) kettles like these:

D7A51A37-0437-44DC-9687-F30492AEAAE4.jpeg

I just calculated for a large bowl of brew (or 2 small cups)... Probably faster than gas...?

01D7E001-02F6-4687-96D0-E65A1D95CCF0.jpeg
01D7E001-02F6-4687-96D0-E65A1D95CCF0.jpeg (270.09 Kio) Consulté 894 fois

About 1 minute at an altitude of about 450m...! I defy anyone to arrive that quickly with a Siemens glass ceramic or better!

To compensate, simply boil the water in the kettle beforehand (a Silvercrest at €25.—)

E410E26F-903F-426E-8F42-D98F105FF4A3.jpeg
E410E26F-903F-426E-8F42-D98F105FF4A3.jpeg (317.1 Kio) Consulté 887 fois
then pour stupidly into your saucepan, cook on the vitroceram with water that has already reached boiling temperature, and you're done!

I also suggest removing the filter and its support (which are useless), especially to prevent the boiling water from being contaminated with the synthetic poly-stuff contained and other bisphenol A (B, C or whatever) not really good for our health!

The support is just clipped....

2F44E936-B0C5-4431-A5EF-D6166EE22B8B.jpeg
In the long run, I did not calculate but the savings must be significant

A Cheers...!

PS: my vitroceram took closer to 7 minutes... for the same volume of water!

03E47DDF-21EE-4F18-86A8-62FFFA2BDFD0.jpeg
03E47DDF-21EE-4F18-86A8-62FFFA2BDFD0.jpeg (186.01 Kio) Consulté 887 fois
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/12/22, 13:40

There is no better than resistance to direct contact with water yes (the Microwave does not do better, see: laboratory-econological / estimate-of-return-to-the-oven-microwave-t2365.html ) so no wonder it's more than 6 times faster...

However, be careful:

Obamot wrote:I hear here and there that vitroceram induction is faster than the standard electric hob...
It's true, but I would say that it is “less slow”... How long to boil water?

Induction is not vitroceramic...and vice versa : Mrgreen:

Vitroceramic is the thing that blushes ... so there is certainly a little gain in radiation compared to the pure metal "resistive" plate but it is far from being as fast as induction!

Induction does not redden or heat up (except conduction with the support used).

I'll do your test on my induction. But it is sure that it will take more than 1 minute! What volume did you use exactly?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 08/12/22, 15:51

Oh yes sorry, my bad.

I thought there were induction glass ceramics (I live in the bush :P )

As you have seen in the photo, the resistors must be in direct contact with the bottom (since we cannot see them)

The volume is at max. There's only one button. I know that on the box it is marked 2W to 600W but it must depend on the volume of water inside... If the device is struggling to heat up, it must go to 3W , there that was full just the bottom, and therefore probably 100'3W... And just one minute.

I have nothing to measure the power, I just have a basic voltmeter which allows this:
Voltmeter suitable for measuring direct and alternating voltages, direct and alternating currents, resistances, diodes as well as contact connections.
Measurement ranges: direct and alternating voltage up to 300 V, direct and alternating current up to 10 A, measurement of resistance, diodes, and continuity with audible signal, 1 kHz square wave signal generator. Memory, polarity display, AC/DC display
I wouldn't give a damn about the sine wave, the wattmeter, the oscilloscope, I do not have :P : Oops: Makes me think I should buy one! : Oops:

PS: I had tried to heat spaghetti at an Asian's with gas, the guy was bitching because it took forever! With the kettle, we have 5 liters of boiling water in 3 successive containers, a few minutes (perhaps 6 or 8min.). : Idea: and salt is always added at the end of cooking, the boiling point of salted water is higher than plain water.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 08/12/22, 16:30

Boiling/vaporization temperature as a function of atmospheric pressure in Bar.

A97917A6-A564-45BF-B728-A8A9AA8295E6.jpeg
A97917A6-A564-45BF-B728-A8A9AA8295E6.jpeg (228 Kio) Consulté 819 fois

The boiling temperature begins with the appearance of small bubbles at the bottom of the container, heating more does not serve anything other than ... to make the water vaporize! I don't think it cooks better or faster at this point?
0 x