The propagation of social modes by first names!

philosophical debates and companies.
Christophe

The propagation of social modes by first names!

by Christophe » 28/12/17, 01:28

Interesting interactive maps from 1946 to 2015 on the most fashionable names, female and male for each year in France: http://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/art ... 55770.html

I find this very interesting sociologically on the spread of fashions!, too bad it is not more detailed but in some years it is the steamroller (see 2 examples below) ...

Source: https://www.insee.fr/fr/statistiques/2540004

"Belle et Sébastien" fashion?

first_name_1977.png
firstname_1977.png (98.37 KB) Consulted 2563 times

"Stéphanie de Monaco" fashion?

first_name_women_1974.png
firstname_women_1974.png (103.22 KB) Consulted 2563 times
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The spread of social fashions by first names!

by Grelinette » 28/12/17, 14:07

It is to wonder if it is the fruit of the greatest of chances or if there is a triggering factor which makes that a first name is more chosen than the others at a given time? In some cases, it is very likely: it is enough for a soccer player to shine (eg Zidane) to boost a first name at a given time, but for others ...

Algorithms (bot) should automatically analyze as many social, societal, environmental, etc. parameters as possible to determine if there is a correlation between certain phenomena that are a priori unrelated.
(I would not be surprised to learn that big boxes like google have fun doing this type of analysis ...).

For example, I am sure that the tides of the equinox have an influence on the rotation of the cows 'tails, and by no means consequence, it does not seem to me impossible that the market fluctuations are also influenced by the rotation of the cows' tails ... unless it's the other way around ... but I haven't proven it yet! : Cheesy:

Edit: the principle of the correlation between two phenomena that are a priori unrelated reminds me of this anecdote: a computer box did not understand why each time it was the full moon, their whole system was tripped! ... Do you have an idea?
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/12/17, 14:21

Grelinette wrote:It is to wonder if it is the fruit of the greatest of chances or if there is a triggering factor which makes that a first name is more chosen than the others at a given time?

It's called ... fashion right? Fashions rather ... when the whole of France changes color it's no coincidence ... the article cited claims that culture has a lesser influence than we think ... So what is it? The connection of souls?

Please note that the first name is also low: 15% of births maximum, so it is not as much a "tidal wave" as we see on the maps ... But what is interesting is the spread I find :) I like the Corsican and Alsatian resistance of certain years ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Grelinette wrote:Edit: the principle of the correlation between two phenomena that are a priori unrelated reminds me of this anecdote: a computer box did not understand why each time it was the full moon, their whole system was tripped! ... Do you have an idea?

Ah, a few weeks ago, I read an article on it (on "statistical coincidences" which have nothing to do with each other), I will try to find it ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/12/17, 14:24

Not found the exact article but I found better: https://www.courrierinternational.com/g ... e-labsurde

1275-Zeit-web.jpg
1275-zeit-web.jpg (428.5 KB) Viewed 2513 times

This is called correlations of the absurd : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Note:

Conversely, a low correlation coefficient does not exclude that two variables exert an influence on each other.

Absolutely, all it takes is a time difference ... and the coef. correlation can collapse while the influence is obvious ... ah the joys of statistical analysis : Cheesy:

Example: in vivo fertilizations (if we can try to have statistics) VS births, there will always be a 9-month lag, so a bad result. correlation (according to the analysis time scale of course) and yet ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x

Back to "Society and Philosophy"