Auxiliary cats of organic farming

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Auxiliary cats from organic farming

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 01/12/17, 19:04

Lolounette wrote:The Natural History Museum and The LPO are conducting research on the impact of the domestic cat on biodiversity, I invite interested cat owners to register for this participatory survey here : Wink:

this study follows another one which took place 25 years ago in England and whose results on the bird population were quite alarming (see here for those who speak English)

Mice, voles, shrews, lizards and other birds are big consumers of insects, so they are also useful to the gardener. The English study was particularly alarmed by the explosion of the feline population and invited cat owners to equip them with a bell ...

I love cats and far from me the desire to create a controversy: I wait for the results of the study to know exactly what it returns, so do not hesitate to register ...

Regarding the mole rats their biggest natural predator is the fox which is alas exterminated everywhere because classified as harmful : Evil: In the Puy-de-Dôme, for example, a campaign to exterminate the taupier rat is under way at great expense, and at the same time the beaten foxes continue. Relentless logic!

Don't psychotize cats Image

As said above, wild cats are like all wild animals ... they go to ease ...

So first the bowls of restaurants from the heart of ad hoc associations
Then the cat granny bowls or our trash cans
Then the rodents
And FINALLY the birds last, because it is the most complicated to catch.
In addition when they manage to catch them, it is in priority individuals injured, diminished, fallen from the nest ... etc
Lizards only interest domestic cats which distracts them but rarely savages who know perfectly well that it is not edible and therefore that it is useless to spend energy to capture them for nothing ...

Finally the best way to preserve the small percentage remaining of catching birds in good shape is to .... do what I described above ...
Create a habitat for them in a quiet place to fix them which prevents them from wandering, feeding them ... AND ... sterilizing them all.

Furthermore, it is not because I love cats that I am against violent elimination in the event of overcrowding, which is not good for anyone and especially not for cats.
Last edited by Adrien (ex-nico239) the 01 / 12 / 17, 19: 11, 2 edited once.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 01/12/17, 19:08

Gaston wrote:
Lolounette wrote:Regarding the mole rats their biggest natural predator is the fox which is alas exterminated everywhere because classified as harmful : Evil: In the Puy-de-Dôme, for example, a campaign to exterminate the taupier rat is under way at great expense, and at the same time the beaten foxes continue. Relentless logic!
The fox is also one of the main predators of the cat ... nothing is simple : roll:

Yaisse and in a year we have already lost an adult male cat ...
Who is it who ate or shot him or did he die of his beautiful death? We do not know anything

This is to say that it is rare that in the wild, even in the context of a close familiar habitat, all cats survive.

We took over a little cat to have a litter at the start of the year (well if everything goes well, because by then many things can happen to it ...) and keep them all ... which doesn't does not mean that everyone will survive in our environment.

In my opinion on 4 if 2 survive until adulthood we will be lucky, it is the hard law of nature.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 01/12/17, 19:19

Lolounette wrote:The Natural History Museum and The LPO are conducting research on the impact of the domestic cat on biodiversity, I invite interested cat owners to register for this participatory survey here : Wink:

I signed up, we'll see what happens.

But it's on domestic cats ... not on wild ones ...

Will be disappointed because it is not violent: 2 birds this year.
Obviously it would have been necessary to autopsy the birds to know what state they were in.
It would be nice if the study was RIGOROUS at this point and that I could provide them with the individuals who died next year and HAVE A ... scientific feedback on their state of health

We'll see...

By the way cats don't eat chickens : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/12/17, 09:53

You are absolutely right to insist on the difference between "wild" cats, in the sense of "abandoned domestic cats", which do not necessarily know how to hunt because they have never learned it and which "maraud" ... is why they "hang out" around the houses. Once someone has had the idea to feed their cats outside, put a dish to cool or whatever ...

And cats bred wildly by their mother, who taught them to hunt ...

The ones I see from time to time are probably Category 1.

I had brought cats from Namibia (they were children's cats). Although domesticated and very cuddly, they were real hunters, because very young, that's how they had survived. They had learned! Although well fed, they would hunt ...
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 15/08/18, 15:50

The cat spends a good part of the day napping between the rows of carrots: :)

DSCN2764.JPG

Once, I saw him capture a cabbage miser. :)
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 15/08/18, 16:34

They all have different habits ...

The cat has its territory more or less large.

Who sleeps under the pallets in full sun: even UNDER the pallets it is VERY hot.

Who in a garden chair, who in the bushes under the trees.

Who in a box or on a sofa ...

Finally it disperses according to his tastes

And over the water it kills dormice and rats ... : Mrgreen: which is the main point.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 15/08/18, 16:43

About cats hiding quietly to nap, there is this video quite well known now, but maybe not by everyone:

: Lol:

Considering the smiles at the start and especially the framing, it seems that it was a set up. But, hey, the cat was not in on it : Lol: ...
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 07/01/19, 18:10

this study follows another one which took place 25 years ago in England and whose results on the bird population were quite alarming (see here for those who speak English)

I confirm. I would say even more... :) as I feed the birds (it seems that it is a disaster for the environment, obviously… : Mrgreen: ) my garden is a gathering place for birds and invaded by neighboring cats. Birds were killed there by the dozen each year.

Finally I found an effective solution, I put a fence around the main gathering place for birds, a large cherry tree, and I only had one bird killed this year. Success!

It is 100mm x 76,2mm mesh screen. It is not very pretty but very effective and not expensive.

Bird protection mesh.JPG
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 07/01/19, 18:40

Leo Maximus wrote:

I confirm. I would say even more... :) as I feed the birds (it seems that it is a disaster for the environment, obviously… : Mrgreen: ) my garden is a gathering place for birds and invaded by neighboring cats. Birds were killed there by the dozen each year.

Finally I found an effective solution, I put a fence around the main gathering place for birds, a large cherry tree, and I only had one bird killed this year. Success!

It is 100mm x 76,2mm mesh screen. It is not very pretty but very effective and not expensive.

Bird protection mesh.JPG

ben must say that grouping the birds in one place for a lazy cat is all good ...
I just registered my vegetable garden as an LPO refuge, and I have a cat : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 07/01/19, 22:13

Well it's funny we were contemplating the same show this afternoon.

The birds gorging on balls of fat and our surrounding cats: we have 5/6.

Good as it is everyday maybe ours (birds and cats) are jaded because even with a cat lying on a deckchair at the foot of the tree where there is a part of the balls this did not prevent feast.

Already having cats or dogs this limits the invasion of wild cats in your refuge / garden.

It is sure that if you do not have it it is the fair for the wild cats and them, as they have only their claws to survive ...

To return to our piou piou, in any case they come to eat with the wheat of the hens and there it is at ground level, no significant massacre to deplore.
0 x