Add a carrier wing (glider type) on a drone ??

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
Christophe

Re: Add a carrier wing (glider type) on a drone (Mavic) ??

by Christophe » 14/09/17, 23:03

chatelot16 wrote:It is true that by reflexing it could be done, but with a significant angle between the wing and the quadricopeter ... so when we decide to fly with the lift of the wing which will be almost flat the quadricopter will strongly leaning forward to move well without trying to wear like 30 °

So a drone is gyroscoped, GPSed and controlled from all sides ... It is an electronic "gas factory" ...

I presume that bringing it an additional lift will make the engines run slower since the weight will be partially erased by the wing (more than 80% of the energy consumption of a drone is lift)

The one I have can go either at around 30 km / h in the air (or at 60 km / h in sport mode that I have never tested before ...) ... when it has reached its cruising speed the angle ( trim) is very very stable (thank you gyro) ... which makes me think that it could very well have a load-bearing wing mounted at a "-trim" angle ...

I have not yet measured it but I think it is around 30 ° (and this angle is may be accessible in the recording of flight parameters ... but as it is not an open source drone it's not sure...)

chatelot16 wrote:it is not an incompatibility of the commands, it is a change of command mode ... and if the drone has automatic piloting ... or an electronic piloting aid it will be completely disturbed ... it will be necessary to put hands in IT to solve it all

On the contrary, I think it will automatically compensate since it knows how to do it well for the weather wind ...

I already flew it in gusty and fairly violent winds (more than 40km / h, 50 gusts ...) it was at its compensation limits ... but it remained stable (on gyros and GPS. ..)!

Obviously with the wing out of the question of flying in an aerology that would not be calm!

chatelot16 wrote:and there remains my main concern ... is it effective to use the original propellers of the drone to advance a wing? would it not be better to add an engine and propeller optimized for airplane mode and completely stop the 4 drone propellers

or rotate the drone propellers only to serve as a control when there is a need for it ... airplane governed by propeller this is an invention

Yes it is the weak point, because the pushed vector is far from being aligned with the chord of the wing and the speed of advance will be low ... That is why we need wings with great elongation of the glider type. .

Overall I agree with you, it's not ideal but here you re-invent a little VTOL :) that's not the idea ...

My idea is very simple and I'm just curious to see what it could bring to the overall autonomy of the drone (20%? 100%? More ??) ... heavy military drones all have wings ... it's not for nothing ... it's what works best ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/09/17, 23:22

if the autopilot perciste to want to go up or down with the general power of the 4 engine it will waste all the power it wants since the lift of the wing prevents this change of altitude if we do not change the attitude which would easily change the altitude

to take advantage of the wing, the autopilot must be programmed to control the ascent and descent by the attitude ... no longer use the 4 rotors for lift but use them as the control surface of an airplane ... complete change of riding mode

finally I correct my first message: the piloting modes of the drone and the glider are not incompatible, they are just different ... the 4 propeller of the drone can pilot the glider wing, but it will be necessary to program what is necessary. I have no hope that the drone software will do this effectively
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/09/17, 01:53

Well, I'm ready to test the thing with a fixed plate, gradually and safely ...

Given all the security on the drone, I imagine that we will quickly know if the on-board computer accepts it ...

A very stupid test would be 50cm from the ground, drone stabilized, to try to assemble the drone "by hand", that is to say to simulate a lift ... And to see its reaction:

a) it accepts the new lift and reduces the rotation of the motors during the climb and keeps the new altitude

b) he does not accept it and will try to "push" the drone down to keep it at the starting altitude as well as possible.

As a consumer drone cannot push down (gravity takes care of it), the 2 cases may be favorable for the carrier wing ...
0 x
Christophe

Re: Add a carrier wing (glider type) on a Mavic drone ??

by Christophe » 10/10/17, 15:23

Flytox wrote:Airbus is currently working on an "approaching" concept

A video presenting the "beast" (thirsty?), Name "RACER" as Rapid And Cost-Effective Rotorcraft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV52HAdYIgM

And a mini article in S&V: https://www.science-et-vie.com/technos- ... mique-9687

Airbus prepares a fast and economical super helicopter
By Fiorenza Gracci On Oct 09, 2017 at 17:41 p.m.

Thanks to its double X wing and its two propellers, the Racer, imagined by Airbus engineers, should exceed 400 km / h. First prototype planned for 2019.

It's a bet: build a fast helicopter (more than 400 km / h cruising speed), economical and efficient. To achieve this, the manufacturer Airbus Helicopters has teamed up with twelve European partners.

Its concept, Racer, relies on an innovative double X-shaped wing, called "box wing", which provides good lift in cruising flight, associated with two lateral propellers. Combined with vertical stabilizers, this structure achieves fuel savings of 10%, according to the manufacturer. Enough to make a vehicle suitable for emergency operations, commercial transport, and even business aviation.

A concept in the preliminary phase was presented at the end of June 2017 at the International Paris Air and Space Show. A prototype should be assembled in 2019, before taking off the following year.

Fast ok, economical ... uh bin I'm waiting to see the engine ... obviously at S&V they are less good in calculations than here ... See above ...

And personally I already see a design error: if we want lift with small wings (which is clearly the case here), we must increase the relative wind on them and we must therefore "blow" the wings (as was the case with the other proto Airbus ... which was already bottle-feeding 120 L / 100km ...) and therefore, a priori, not to use propellers ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Add a carrier wing (glider type) on a drone?

by chatelot16 » 10/10/17, 20:23

the advantage of the quadricopter is to do a simple thing that can move in all directions

if you put an efficient airplane wing on it you lose this advantage, and it is better to make a real automatic pilot plane like a drone

the automatic piloting of an airplane is infinitely easier than that of a quadricopter or helicopter

in reduced model an airplane can have a takeoff and landing speed so low that vertical takeoff is not essential
0 x

Back to "Electric transport: cars, bicycles, public transport, planes ..."