The "Potager du Laesseux" in the Dordogne

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
jpbord
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

The "Potager du Laesseux" in the Dordogne

by jpbord » 14/05/17, 00:46

I first of all thank Did67 who gave me the desire to embark on the adventure of "phenoculture"
I registered at this forum to convey to you my new experience, success and failures,

It is true that this year begins badly with the frosts of April which saw the annihilation of all my fruit becoming in my orchard; A year without! But we must bow to mother nature!

Go courage "happiness is in the meadow"

Regards to all members of this Forum
0 x
jpbord
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: The "Potager du Laesseux" in the Dordogne

by jpbord » 14/05/17, 00:53

Overview
IMG_3005.jpg
IMG_3004.jpg
IMG_2985.jpg
IMG_2973.jpg
3 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/05/17, 02:26

Thank you for this feedback, I will soon (this week probably) present mine an "Ardennes vegetable garden" ... I have not yet planted anything outside because of the night frosts precisely (obviously you know ...), in short everything here is still "warm" in the seed trays ...
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 14/05/17, 09:24

Nice surface in any case, I have the feeling that there is something to plant, you have what surface?
Denis, "neighbor of 17" : Wink:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/05/17, 13:15

Yes nice surface, mine will be much more modest ... to start :)
0 x
jpbord
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jpbord » 14/05/17, 23:14

denis17 wrote:Nice surface in any case, I have the feeling that there is something to plant, you have what surface?
Denis, "neighbor of 17" : Wink:

Thank you for your visit, in fact it is an old agricultural property, there are 23 hectares, but my 4 thousand m² of vegetable garden and fruit trees occupy me widely, I just plant 30 fruit trees since 3 years.
The advantage of all this surface is to have 2 hay plots of 4 hectares. The more I invested in a wood shredder I clean.
cordially
0 x
jpbord
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jpbord » 14/05/17, 23:18

Christophe wrote:Thank you for this feedback, I will soon (this week probably) present mine an "Ardennes vegetable garden" ... I have not yet planted anything outside because of the night frosts precisely (obviously you know ...), in short everything here is still "warm" in the seed trays ...

Good courage for your future experience it is true that inhabited in a cold region is not always easy, for my part I am towards Bergerac but in a cold corridor and when I look at the weather I made the temperature d 'Aurillac at 1 ° near it is the same!

cordially
0 x
Lachanette
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Lachanette » 17/05/17, 12:18

Ah, here's great news! Hello, neighbor :D
Me, I am in the Sarladais, and only part-time for another 4 years, before settling permanently, when finally comes retirement ...
To say that I will follow this thread carefully!
One of my neighbors also thinks of going to the phenoculture. I hope that soon the Dordogne will be well represented.
I will try to participate to the extent of my means (little presence on the spot, no internet at home when I am there), and already I will try to master the sending of photos and I then come back My tests ...
A +
0 x
Lachanette
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Lachanette » 17/05/17, 14:57

Here is a succinct presentation of the history of my vegetable garden in the Sarlat area.

In April of last year, I still have only a mini vegetable garden classically broken by the force of my old arms, and torn from an old prairie full of couch grass! For avoid To limit the prairie reconquest, I cover the outline.

April 2016.JPG

But as I have already discovered Dominique Soltner, I try to mulch as I can, with what I find, old straw and flax flax (ouch ouch ouch, that was not a good idea ...)

May 2016.JPG

On the Last of Saints' Day, always following Soltner's advice, I create fixed boards separated by small covered walkways, and without any cleaning of the ground, nor pitching, I straw with the means of the edge.
I bought a shredder, so
BRF of fresh hazel
BRF de figuier (that either, it is probably not a good idea, I have since read that the milk of the fig tree, it was not top)
and also ...
Very old centenary straw (bof, bof?),
Old poplar heart fallen into decay (lignin supply?)
All that I can pick up of dead leaves (but they are just beginning to fall)
A bit of lawn mowing
A little hay (but I do not dare to put too much, for fear of seeds: I have not yet discovered phenology ...)
A slight addition of wood ash

October 2016-1.JPG

Finally, as I'm going to abandon the vegetable garden for 6 months, I cover the whole with a mulching tarpaulin that lets the water pass, because otherwise I completely trust this prairie to regain the upper hand!

October 2016-2.JPG

I spend six months of winter discovering phenology! :D
When I return to the month of April, after unburdening:

April 2017-1.JPG

I am quite satisfied with the appearance of the earth. Quackgrass comes fairly easily. I took the opportunity to clean a border strip that had not been mulched (left in the picture).
On mulched bands, mulching has not completely disappeared. Is it because of the tarpaulin? Is it because of the materials used? Is my life on the ground sufficiently active? (At 20 depth cm, I have a pH of 5 ...)

April 2017-2.JPG

We mowed green grasses that are spread on the old mulch (not sure it is a good idea?), Then unroll two rolls of hay. Luckily, the son came to give a helping hand! Well, in fact, we did the hay for two, but I had to take the picture.

April 2017-3.JPG

April 2017-4.JPG

I took the opportunity to colonize a new corner of meadow. I love to enlarge the garden at so little cost!
It now has an L shape and makes 150 m2. It was 16 m2 last year.

April 2017-5.JPG

After that, there was planting of potatoes, sowing of green beans a little late (for the beginning of July, we will see), transplanting of white onions and salads ... We will have to see what it gives. I'll be there next week, I can not wait!
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/05/17, 16:47

Lachanette wrote:

BRF of fresh hazel
BRF de figuier (that either, it is probably not a good idea, I have since read that the milk of the fig tree, it was not top)
and also ...
Very old centenary straw (bof, bof?),
Old poplar heart fallen into decay (lignin supply?)
All that I can pick up of dead leaves (but they are just beginning to fall)
A bit of lawn mowing
A little hay (but I do not dare to put too much, for fear of seeds: I have not yet discovered phenology ...)
A slight addition of wood ash

Just a couple of remarks on this "material list" used:

A) I consider that all organic matter is intended to return to the ground, on the surface, for an aerobic decomposition (in the presence of oxygen). So I no longer use plastic sheeting, but I reassure you, I started with the same stupidity!

b) But the richness in elements (therefore the subsequent fertilization), the C / N ratio (therefore the formation of humic substances and the "depressive effect"), the speed of the natural cycles are not the same, since the mowing, bacterial, fast to the bark, that most fungi do not even attack, so ultra-slow ...

c) Old straw: no noticeable difference with "new" straw, unless it has rotted (which would be decomposition and we would find the same disadvantages as composting in piles). But it remains a poor material, to be supplemented with a sufficient quantity of grass clippings.

d) Fig tree: beware of false evidence; I made my tests of asparagus "without work" in dead leaves of walnut trees, with the very bad reputation; the test is quite correct (even if frosts and voles mean that it is not perfect!). The latex of the fig tree can have irritating "virtues" for human skin and be of great interest to organisms. Observe the rate of decomposition. I am not aware of the use of bacteriostatic effects of fig latex (unlike the tannins of oaks, used to protect the skins from decomposition by making it into leather) or of certain benzene derivatives of certain conifers (used in candy).
We must be wary as the plague of reasoning consisting in "anthropomorphizing" the vegetable garden (compare it to a man: a soil "does not tire", a plant does not suffocate another plant, etc ... The jargon is full traces of this defect)

e) The old trunk, if it does not weigh much, it is because most of it has already been digested and has gone "in the air" (CO²). Something remains that is close to the ashes! Nothing harmful. Work for not much ...

F) If your pH is at 5, you can go gradually, but more generously with wood ashes ... Are you on a schistous basement?
0 x