Tips: reducing fuel consumption

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Christophe

Tips: reducing fuel consumption

by Christophe » 18/09/06, 22:00

Some tips to reduce your fuel consumption.

# Regularly check the condition of your car. For example, poorly inflated or worn tires lead to over-consumption of fuel, not to mention your safety involved!

# Do your engine maintenance regularly, a spared engine will not only pollute less but will also take you further. Knowing the econological cost of making a car, believe us you will be a winner.

# As far as possible, let your engine warm up before starting to drive. For example, start it before putting on your seatbelt ... a few seconds of warm-up never hurts. Don't "pull" on it when it's cold! This greatly increases the wear and tear of your engine and creates significant overconsumption.

# Drive smoothly, respect the speed limits (which are not defined at random consumption): you consume 40% less fuel, which generates less pollution and less risk of accidents.

# Avoid over-revs. Very fuel-efficient, not to mention the premature wear, for power necessarily transmitted to the wheels. So use the reports wisely.

# Use the inertia of your vehicle (disengage) rather than the engine brake! So you can win 10 at 20% in town by anticipating well. But beware of your safety that comes first!

# In Paris, the average speed of the metro is 27 km / h and that of a car 18 km / h ... An average cyclist is therefore almost as fast! You will save time leaving your car in the garage. Use the car only for long journeys (> 10 km) and, when possible, use public or natural transport (cycling and walking).

# For trips less than two kilometers, try not to take the car. It overconsumes (from 50% to 80%) and overpolls during the first kilometers (the catalytic converter is effective only after 7 km). It should be known that 70% of the wear of an engine is during the first turns of the wheel ... As much less start, it's as many kilometers as possible before the breakage of your engine! It's up to you to think ...

# Optimize your route according to your activities. Think before you go. Make your stops in a "logical" direction depending on the location of your activities. When you take your car, do several "things" at the same time and if possible on an optimized route. For example, do not go to the Post Office to send a single letter, but do it at the same time as going to do your shopping, even if it means waiting a day or two (for non-urgent mail). It's silly and mean but it will save you time, money and stress! Do not optimize to the extreme, otherwise the stress factor will be losing ...

# On vacation, if you have a lot of luggage, opt for a trailer rather than a roof rack that increases fuel consumption more than the trailer

# Of course, choose light cars and less greedy if you live in the city. In this regard the rule is simple, the bigger the car, the more it pollutes.

# If possible, organize carpooling with your colleagues, with friends to take your children to school, with neighbors to do your shopping ... Indeed, in France, the average occupancy rate per vehicle is of only 1,2 people! For this you can visit this site: Co-voiturage.fr

# Beware of toxic waste (draining oils, solvents, battery acids ...). One liter of used motor oil thrown in the sewer pollutes about a million liters of water! If you do your interviews yourself, take them to your dump.

# At equivalent cost and whenever possible, choose the train rather than your car or plane.

# As a general rule and if possible, choose public transport: a car pollutes 10 at 20 times more than one bus per person transported (note this is true when public transport is full, the average filling rate being 35 %). In addition the municipalities have made real efforts of equipment in recent years ... why not take advantage of it?

More: https://www.econologie.com/polluer-et-co ... -1892.html
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 04 / 15, 13: 15, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 18/09/06, 22:49

Use the phone:

leave a directory in the car: check if your supplier has stock.

confirm your business appointments the day before or in the morning

always walk around with your agenda (learn first how to use it, there are internships)

always ask your "visited" person for his GSM number when you are not sure where you are going or when you arrive on time

"take your sandwiches", like the Belgians or the Swedish.

Do not hesitate to pick bread from the baker (if it was not necessary, it freezes very well) or phone your wife if you have to go to a department store.

invest 250 euros in "reasonable food overstocks"
have a silly thought in the kitchen
make a list for your shopping
go around the regular supplies: milk, water, bread, oil, vinegar, spices, rice, flour, sugar, wine, beer, etc ... making your list
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/09/06, 13:57

Uh, it's a Belgian elephant joke?
I did not understand everything ... : Cheesy:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Tips: reducing fuel consumption

by Woodcutter » 19/09/06, 17:39

Not bad, but I have some small comments to make ... : Wink:
Christophe wrote:Some tips to reduce your fuel consumption.

# Regularly check the condition of your car. For example, poorly inflated or worn tires lead to over-consumption of fuel, not to mention your safety involved!
Why would a worn tire increase fuel consumption?

Christophe wrote:# Avoid over-revs. Very fuel-efficient, not to mention the premature wear, for power necessarily transmitted to the wheels. So use the reports wisely.
I would add that an engine (especially turbomazout) has a better performance at full load in its area of ​​maximum torque than partial load. So if we must for example accelerate out of the roundabout on a RN to reach 90 km / h, it is better to do it frankly and quickly reach a stabilized speed that timidly for longer, but without going up high.

Christophe wrote:# Use the inertia of your vehicle (disengage) rather than the engine brake! So you can win 10 at 20% in town by anticipating well. But beware of your safety that comes first!
To qualify ...
If the slope or the slowdown zone allows it, the use of the engine brake on fuel oil allows less consumption than a period of "freewheeling", because in engine braking, the consumption is zero, which is not the case when you disengage.

Christophe wrote:# Beware of toxic waste (draining oils, solvents, battery acids ...). One liter of used motor oil thrown in the sewer pollutes about a million liters of water! If you do your interviews yourself, take them to your dump.
On the other hand, it seems to me that a wild oil dump is not only an environmental heresy but also an offense (to be verified).
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 19/09/06, 17:53

Christophe wrote:Uh, it's a Belgian elephant joke?
I did not understand everything ... : Cheesy:

No, what elephant meant (if I understand correctly) is that we can save money by car even before to ride in.

By avoiding all these short trips "for nothing" because we forgot the bread, because we cannot find the address where we are going, because we realize when eating that we do not have enough slices of ham, etc.

The principle is to optimize each trip by car in order to limit the number.

Reread his message in this light, you'll see, it will seem clearer to you 8)
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/09/06, 17:57

Targol wrote:
Christophe wrote:By avoiding all these short trips "for nothing" because we forgot the bread, because we cannot find the address where we are going, because we realize when eating that we do not have enough slices of ham, etc.

Ben ok but here https://www.econologie.com/polluer-et-co ... -1892.html yet I read this well:

# Optimize your route according to your activities. Think before you go. Make your stops in a "logical" direction depending on the location of your activities. When you get in your car, do several "things" at the same time and if possible on an optimized route. For example, do not go to the Post Office to send a single letter, but do it at the same time as going to do your shopping, even if it means waiting a day or two (for non-urgent mail). It's silly and mean but it will save you time, money and stress! Do not optimize to the extreme, otherwise the stress factor will be losing ...
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 04 / 15, 13: 15, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/09/06, 18:04

Woodcutter wrote:Why would a worn tire increase fuel consumption?

Less grip, more slippage, less traction, more losses ... I'm wrong? Finally it is especially the under-inflated aspect that plays in it ... (the one goes often of pair with the other also ...)

Woodcutter wrote:I would add that an engine (especially turbomazout) has a better performance at full load in its area of ​​maximum torque than partial load.

Exact, besides there is a good product to develop in this regard: an indicator of optimum performance (style a led on the dashboard that indicates when we are in the optimum range ...).

Woodcutter wrote:To qualify ...
If the slope or the slowdown zone allows it, the use of the engine brake on fuel oil allows less consumption than a period of "freewheeling", because in engine braking, the consumption is zero, which is not the case when you disengage.

Yes we had already spoken ... I will rectify.
But your nuance is only valid with modern vehicles not with old carbs and therefore all motorbikes too ...

In all cases we use more engine engine brake than playing with inertia ...

Woodcutter wrote:On the other hand, it seems to me that a wild oil dump is not only an environmental heresy but also an offense (to be verified).

You are very nice when you speak of heresy ... I would rather speak of crime. Yes for the offense but ... You must know the old adage "not seen not taken" ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 19/09/06, 20:22

Christophe wrote:
Woodcutter wrote:Why would a worn tire increase fuel consumption?

Less grip, more slippage, less traction, more losses ... I'm wrong? Finally it is especially the under-inflated aspect that plays in it ... (the one goes often of pair with the other also ...) [...]

OK for the defective inflation (I didn't say anything about it by the way), but for wear, I don't really follow you in your arguments, nor in the relationship worn <=> badly inflated, knowing that 'a tire loses about 0,1 to 0,2 bar per month while it has a lifespan of several years ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 19/09/06, 23:43

Super, Targol, you understood everything!

Well no, what elephant meant (if I understand correctly) is that you can save by car before even getting into it.

It is simply the result of many years of experience, of râlerie, of reflection, and especially, of ... errors ...
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
lol.2.dol

by lol.2.dol » 23/09/06, 14:25

I allow myself to post my first message on this forum right here:

I will add to the list:

- rolling the windows open increases the consumption of 4% 100km / h (read on the books of Renault cars) .Il better use the ventilation (after I never really knew if a clim 'polluted or not. ..)

-Avoid the excessive use of all that is electric in the car (portable charging, DVD player, etc ...)

That's @ +
0 x