Wood pellets for heating ...

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Wood pellets for heating ...

by Grelinette » 10/10/15, 15:22

I am surprised to see that more and more wood chips are reconstituted in compressed wood chips that are on sale, especially in supermarkets.

The compressed log wrote:The compressed wood can be used in all wood stoves, fireplaces (with or without insert) and in all types of open or closed fireplaces. However, logs of compressed wood change your heating habits, they contain little moisture, so they need less air to burn. Too much draft often leads to burning too fast. It is often advisable to control the air intakes to take full advantage of the high heat output of the compressed wood.

The combustion will release the log of the pressure undergone in its manufacture. It expands slightly, it is important to position it behind the andirons to prevent it from touching the glass during combustion. The logs are easily scored, when starting the fire, breaking the first two logs can improve the speed of heating.

The fire is lit in the same way as with cutting wood, it is enough to have a lit fire and small wood, then to arrange the half-logs compressed on top of the small woods. It is important not to put too many logs in the fireplace, compressed wood releases more heat than natural wood.
Calorific power

The heating value indicated on the logs is the PCI or the PCS. Many manufacturers talk about PC (calorific value) without specifying whether it is PCI (lower) or PCS (higher). The latter is always superior but it does not correspond to reality, because it takes into account the latent heat of the evaporation of water that is not returned to a stove or a chimney, contrary to what happens in a condensing boiler.

The burning time of a compressed wood log depends on its quality. It should only be hardwood, dry (between 8 and 11% moisture only), preferably densified by compression, for combustion expansion. A poorly dried wood mobilizes an expensive part of its calories to evaporate the water it contains. Therefore, the more the wood is wet, the lower its calorific value. It is therefore very advisable to keep the wood well away from moisture.

Under these conditions, a good continuous fire supposes a reloading of the fireplace all 2 to 6 hours.

More technically, the PCI is a unit of measure for calculating the heat of combustion of a combustible material. It can be expressed as Kilojoule per kg (kJ / kg) or Kilowatt per kg (kW / kg).

1,7 kWh / kg at 60% humidity;
4,0 kWh / kg at 20% humidity;
4,4 kWh / kg at 11% humidity.

The density of the wood being variable, the calorific value varies strongly.

The energy balance of compressed wood is positive, unlike that of fossil fuels or electricity, which is always negative. This means that densified wood requires energy for its production. Thus, 1 unit of energy consumed for production, restores 6 consumption of granulated wood; he restores 15 in shredded wood.

What to think of this type of logs?

In addition, it is now forbidden to burn vegetable waste because of fine particles, and the dump sites are undersized to receive all this surplus of plant waste (this is particularly a problem in my community). The main solution implemented is therefore to grind this waste, which, on the one hand, greatly reduces the volume, and on the other hand, produces chips used as BRF to amend the land of vegetable gardens and gardens.
We did some brushing in our neighborhood and the brushing company left us several m3 chips.

Do you think it is possible to turn these chips into heating logs, and how?

I read that compressed logs are decompressed on combustion. I deduce that compression is mainly used to facilitate the transport and storage of logs. So it does not seem essential to provide a huge compression to make these logs, maybe even it would be enough to agglomerate the chips with a binder or a natural glue (eg wet flour).

A compression system can be simple with the principle of a lever that compresses a small volume of chips in a metal cylinder.
Does it seem feasible?

Here is already a prototype : Mrgreen: :
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/10/15, 16:06

Your deductions are unfortunately not exact: "densified logs" are subjected to very high pressures, whether in screw systems (continuous) or in hydraulic presses. This is necessary to achieve bonding of the particles through the fusion of lignin: in fact, there is no difference from this point of view between the densified log and the pellet, only the size differs.

So, the idea of ​​making this kind of logs with homemade pruning ground and a modest means of compression, is highly hypothetical, to say the least ...
There are also constraints of dryness and granulometry not easy to respect in these minimalist conditions.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/10/15, 19:41

A precision: the deformation (expansion) during combustion is mainly longitudinal.
A note, the "compressed log" states:
... they contain little moisture, so they need less air to burn themselves

I do not think it's very rigorous to express yourself this way ... the opposite is a little closer to reality: wet wood is hard to burn and if you cut the draw, it does not go well .
One of the corollaries of this observation is that users of poorly performing inserts complain when they are delivered with "too dry" wood; it is the humidity of the wood that provides a certain form of regulation that the design of the heater does not allow ... : Lol:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/10/15, 19:50

Yes, so said, that's bullshit ... The amount of air depends on the dry biomass (C and H). But it is true that with a wet product, we "ventilate" to stoke the fire ... And so we throw calories through the chimney!

Note that moisture is synonymous with low-temperature combustion (water cooling combustion) and therefore poor combustion, with emissions of pollutants ... It gets closer to Scout fires with itchy eyes! An ecological disaster !!!

For the BRF, two things one:

- it is thin branches, up to 6 or 7 cm, it is excellent product for gardening, a real treasure (which stimulates the fungi in the soil, so the mycorrhizae, so fertility, outside because of covering the ground and avoiding any hoeing / picking, while preserving the water!) [I will talk about it soon shortly on the wire: https://www.econologie.com/forums/jardiner-p ... 13846.html

- if it is thicker branches, we will tend to speak of "forest chips" and there are boilers specially designed for this, unfortunately very expensive, but with electronic control to reduce polluting emissions to a level "acceptable" and allowing automation ...

There are other "blunders": the density of the wood is quite variable, but the PCI being expressed in units of energy / kgit hardly depends on the wood (of the species). There is a small difference between softwoods and hardwoods (softwoods with a slightly higher PCI, due to the presence of resin).

This is not very credible ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/10/15, 20:14

Yes, I had noticed at the first reading the "blunder" on the calorific value compared between hardwoods and conifers; I think it is voluntary and commercial, because for ordinary users, there is confusion with what is true for conventional logs.It is easy to understand why this is not relevant in the case of pellets and densified logs: a piece of wood is a stack of small parallel tubes, in hardwoods these tubes are very thin, in coniferous trees much larger, so the amount of material differs, so the density.
Once compressed, this difference necessarily disappears ...
Resin is indeed a plus and I add that the softwoods are richer in lignin which improves the agglomeration of sawdust constituents and their behavior over time: a German site put this advantage by claiming a certain proportion of softwoods. .. other places, other customs ...
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 11/10/15, 15:38

Thank you for your answers.

The large quantities of "coarse BRF" left by the brush clearing company cannot therefore be used for our heating.

Too bad because we still have a lot on the ground, and it is very easy to get some.

Moreover, the brushing company often recontacts me to know if it can still come to empty a truck near my home: the dumps refuse them, and there is plenty of room around my house (more than 2,5 Ha uncultivated land ). It seems to me that this BRF, even rude, enriches the land because there are many plants that come out now when there was none before the deposit.

In addition many neighbors come to get this BRF for their gardens, vegetable gardens and to cover aisles, and they seem satisfied because they return to seek regularly!

That said, it would be interesting to recycle this even coarse BRF, rather than emptying it into the nature or dump.

(AhmedI sent you MPs, did you receive them? I did not have any answer).

I add, to return to the subject, these logs in compressed wood (those + in + sold in supermarkets and elsewhere) are they a good product with a good price / price ratio or not?
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Did67

by Did67 » 11/10/15, 16:18

Do we hear:

- if it is mainly branches - or young trees which have not exceeded half a dozen cm in diameter of the trunk - which are crushed, it is "almost BRF", or even "BRF".

- if it is only trunks, or big branches, it is rather of the plate.

BRF, by its constitution, and inputs (sugars stored by plants in living wood - sapwood), decompose quite quickly, they borrow few elements from the soil (because they are themselves rich enough to " feed "the organisms which decompose them) and bine spur, they cover the ground (no weeds or little; little evaporation; no beatings by the rains ...). The BRF is therefore very positive!

The platelet remains a supply (lean) because it consists mainly of lignin, difficult to break down. Poor material (especially in nitrogen), its decomposition will cause soil organisms to borrow nutrients from the soil to develop themselves (in short, they have a lot to eat, but not everything!). It will therefore have a "depressive effect" the first year (s).

In the long term, the "borrowed" items will be released again! It is not a loss.

The wafer, like the BRF, will have a very positive role as a ground cover.

Both will also undergo a humification phenomenon, linked to the lignin content. This humus production will have a very favorable role on the soil: stabilization of the structure, increase in the capacity to fix the nutrients, increase in the capacity to retain water ... Very quickly, in 2 or 3 days, "blackish streaks" appear, a sign of this humification.

To conclude:

- BRF has fewer negative effects and enriches the soil more with nutriftis elements (because it is only "living wood")
- the plate can have a depressive effect, because there is a part of "dead wood", but this is only temporary
- both are excellent ground covers
- both are on the medium / long term, very positive, because of humification
- Both are very positive on the stimulation of fungi in the soil, which plays a big role of mineral extractors and can associate in symbiosis with the roots (mycorrhizae)

Moreover, in terms of brush cutting, it is generally a product "between the two" that we have. It is thinner than a forest. And it's bigger than tree / shrub pruning waste ...

So above all, go ahead! It is gold bar for gardens.

If the depressive effect is too marked, it can be corrected by mowing with turf (rich in nitrogen!), In thin layers on top (to avoid fermentation). Many times if necessary.

PS: I would like it to be brought to me free of charge for my "more than organic garden without tillage"! I put it in layers of about 20 cm thick.

The only negative thing: where it is covered with BRF, sowing is difficult. The emergence is irregular. There is an anti-germinating effect of decomposing wood (in any case, if working with thick layers). I reserve the BRF part for perennial plants (shrubs - raspberries and other red fruits, strawberries ...) and vegetables installed in the form of plants (tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, cabbages, etc ...). Seedlings, I make them in hay.
0 x
ARMAND
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ARMAND » 11/10/15, 16:29

With regard to mandatory composting in landfills instead of burning, I would like to point out that it is also an excellent system for spreading crypto diseases and other fodder inconveniences. I see composting cypress dead canker, I would be surprised that composting is a solution especially as it was advised, with just reason amha to burn the woods supporting this type of disease ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 11/10/15, 19:58

yeah, or coniferous cuts: the compost stinks the acid is less fertile ....
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/10/15, 21:22

the advantage of compressing wood chips to make a log is that it can burn in a single wood burning fireplace with natural draft

at home I grind the wood and brambles ... it can not burn in a home made for logs, it's too late it cuts the draw ... but with a kind of fire blowing forge it burns very well

this way of crushing everything is convenient because it is easy to store, and it is easy to feed a fire with just the desired power, easier than to feed with various recovery woods that never burn as one wants

my method of crushing everything makes it possible to burn green wood fairly quickly: the milled wood stored in large quantities is heated by fermentation of a certain part of what is green: it quickly dries the whole

if there was too much trash too green it could rot without drying, but by mixing green and wet waste with drier wood it makes a resulat dry enough to keep well

for me the simply crushed wood is the fuel of the future, better than the pelet because easier to manufacture, only inconvenient, more voluminous than the pelet for the same energy

another problem, the majority of the simple grinders make an uneven result, with too many pieces of pieces that would hang in the pelet style feeding system.

i'm working on a fireplace feeding system that really tilts anything! it simply rejects what does not pass but never hangs: just repeller in the boyeur what the power system refuses
0 x

Go back to "Innovations, inventions, patents and ideas for sustainable development"