Heat wave: simple and free gestures against the heat

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Christophe

Heat wave: simple and free gestures against the heat

by Christophe » 01/07/15, 10:49

For those who do not have air conditioning at home, that is to say the vast majority, some ideas to reduce the temperature a little and fairly easily and make the heat wave more bearable:

a) close curtain, shutter, window (recess)

b) use misting to cool down at a lower cost: a wet cloth on a fan, spray water on your drapes ... wet your clothes if you go out (especially girls!)

c) dress light and light (especially girls ... twice :D )

d) drink a lot (before you are thirsty and not too much beer ... though: http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/ ... 60236.html :D )

Inspired by https://www.econologie.com/forums/secheresse ... 10826.html
Last edited by Christophe the 01 / 07 / 15, 15: 24, 1 edited once.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/07/15, 11:20

For "evaporative" cooling, it can be a double-edged sword indoors. The relative humidity of the air is increased. However, air saturated at 30 ° is more unbearable than air at 40 ° but dry! [personal experience: Abidjan is unlivable, while the temperature does not often exceed 30 ° there, we do not drip permanently, while at the limit of the Sahara we can pretty well endure 40 ° dry!]

In addition, as long as it is cool at night (20 ° at my house this morning before sunrise), open a maximum at night to dissipate the heat stored during the day. If it's possible ! [well, I'm awakened by ... the birds at daybreak! Dirty birds! When I think that a device makes a regular and constant noise!]
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 01/07/15, 14:35

Did67 wrote:For "evaporative" cooling, it can be a double-edged sword indoors. The relative humidity of the air is increased. However, air saturated at 30 ° is more unbearable than air at 40 ° but dry! [personal experience: Abidjan is unlivable, while the temperature does not often exceed 30 ° there, we do not drip permanently, while at the limit of the Sahara we can pretty well endure 40 ° dry!]

In addition, as long as it is cool at night (20 ° at my house this morning before sunrise), open a maximum at night to dissipate the heat stored during the day. If it's possible ! [well, I'm awakened by ... the birds at daybreak! Dirty birds! When I think that a device makes a regular and constant noise!]

Hi Did67

You give the good example or the solution is solved by a dehumidifier
Do not exceed 65% humidity either in summer or in winter.

Dehumidifying is enough, where the "air conditioning" which dries up is unhealthy and icy

on the condition of transpiring!
if you don't sweat and you feel suffocated, shower.
otherwise it's overheating not good for health.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/07/15, 15:12

Of course: humidify AND ventilate at the same time ...
And be close to the source of mist ...

Otherwise you can also set up a small freestanding pool: 25 € at Leclerc, here is my little one: https://www.econologie.com/forums/pompe-pisc ... 14115.html

(ecologically filled with water from the stream!)

See also: https://www.econologie.com/forums/fabricatio ... t1958.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/07/15, 15:21

And don't forget to hydrate yourself well: http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/ ... 60236.html

: Shock: : Mrgreen: : Cheesy:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/07/15, 15:53

It gets confused:

- the air conditioning heat pump dehydrates the atmosphere; in heavy weather (= high relative humidity), this relieves the body by facilitating the evaporation of perspiration, which as a result, is "optimized": less water lost but "more cold produced" on the body; but the direct flow, in particular on the eye, is a source of conjunctivitis; there is also a risk of angina by drying / irritation of the mucous membranes of the mouth and throat; the radical solution, which I practiced on my kids in Africa by 40/45 ° in the shade: surround the bed with a fabric (mosquito net) which prevents any direct flow of the air conditioning on the body; but the atmosphere under this canvas is that of a cool temperature; and adjust the air conditioning to 25/26 °; below, we are cold; above, we sweat; the "disease" is to put air conditioning at 20 ° [not to mention the energy gap!]; result: elimination from one day to another of tonsillitis, kids who sleep impeccably, who no longer scratch, etc ...

- "coolers" by evaporation, even when ventilating: you stay in more and more humid air; your body, even if it perspires, cools less and less; you "drip" more and more; the effect ends up being counterproductive ...

Of course, that depends a lot on the conditions: if the air is very hot but very dry, you can already cool down quite a bit by evaporation before reaching 80% RH, where you start to drip. On the other hand, in "heavy weather", just before a thunderstorm, the air is already humid; the cooler is very quickly counterproductive.

How to find out: the water bottle test for pastis! Take a bottle of cold water out of the fridge: if it drips very quickly, the air is already humid. Be satisfied with dry pastis! The evaporative cooler will be a disaster. An air conditioning by heat pump on the contrary will "rectify" the situation even beyond the cold it produces. It will also dry out the air, which relieves the body (no "dripping"; all sweating is useful; the body loses less water and tires less - with water loss the body loses a lot of salts , which tires him! Beware of potassium!).

And indeed, it depends on the person. Some sweat a lot, others not or almost not!

Those who sweat will "take advantage" of the drying of the air by an air conditioning / heat pump and be sensitive to saturation by an evaporative cooler.

The others are the reverse.

Finally, I am talking about closed premises. It is obvious that a misting on a terrace will locally cool the air. The water vapor will be evacuated by the air movements ... But the refreshed air will also be permanently replaced by warmer air! But it helps. And what's more, it's "fun"!
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 01/07/15, 17:50

0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/07/15, 20:09

0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/07/15, 11:47

Hic wrote:

on the condition of transpiring!
if you don't sweat and you feel suffocated, shower.
otherwise it's overheating not good for health.

Yes!

For this, you must drink even when you are not thirsty and if it lasts, eat more salty than usual. The sweat is salty (licking the skin!) And therefore the body loses salt (sodium and potassium in particular).

So if it lasts several days, the body sometimes reacts against these losses by "cutting" the perspiration (even if we drink! It is the salt that is lacking to produce sweat) ...

In Africa, in very harsh conditions and for long periods of time, this situation (more than enough minerals; reduction of sweating in reaction; overheating as a consequence) is an absolute danger. In very arid / very hot regions, salt capsules can be used!
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "