Calculating the price of a tree ...

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Calculating the price of a tree ...

by Christophe » 20/05/13, 14:43

Interesting calculation on the price of a tree 50 years (after that is discussed):

0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/05/13, 16:21

Well, we can discuss endlessly the value in dollars (or euros) of "natural things" ...

Just on the method: if it is generally accepted that cutting trees and burning them is "neutral in CO²" (the CO² released by combustion will be captured by the tree which will grow in place of the one which was burned) , it must be admitted that the O² released by a tree during its growth is captured during its combustion or during its rotting to produce CO² ...

A tree, in a forest in equilibrium (such as the Amazonian forest if man does not interfere!), Is therefore "neutral in O²" as it is "neutral in CO²", provided it is destroyed in such a way. aerobic and replaced by a tree that grows back in its place. Overall, over the life of the tree.

If we turn it into lumber (MOB, furniture, paper stored in achives, etc.) indeed, there is sequestration of CO² and release of O² (as long as we do not burn these objects!).

[the nickname that the Amazon forest is the “lung” of the planet ”, therefore, is an idiot; but it“ works ”, it is so“ beautiful ”and we admit that it is true even if ... it's wrong]

[PS: on the other hand, if we shaves and burns the forest to replace it with crops, it is correct that the C contained in trees is released in the form of CO²; so do not confuse "burn" a tree taken from a forest where it will grow back and "burn a forest"!]
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/05/13, 16:25

It does not matter how accurate that number is! What is significant is that we must highlight the market value of a natural element to justify its existence.
The conclusion being that it should be protected, since it is "profitable" ... We can easily deduce that in the opposite case, it would have been appropriate to eliminate it. :frown:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 20/05/13, 16:33

100% agree too. [another point of view - complementary - on the method!]
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 20/05/13, 16:46

Ahmed wrote:It does not matter how accurate that number is! What is significant is that we must highlight the market value of a natural element to justify its existence.
The conclusion being that it should be protected, since it is "profitable" ... We can easily deduce that in the opposite case, it would have been appropriate to eliminate it. :frown:

Exact!
But in a mamonic society everything can be sold and everything can be bought, for info artificial insemination costs 300 €! So a tree! :|
Recently there was talk of the "cost of public holidays", soon you will see, the cost of the elderly!
J. Attali had suggested in his book "nomadic man" that it would be possible to see the emergence of a society where people would benefit from everything until the age of 65 years after which it would be euthanized because no longer profitable ...

The economic logic being extreme, such drifts are to be anticipated!
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/05/13, 17:57

The economic logic being extreme, such drifts are to be anticipated!

"All logic always goes to the end of itself", wrote Bertrand Méheust: Extremism is in no way a drift.
Well understood, I understood what you meant: seen from the outside and from our point of view, it is a drift ...
It is important to be precise on this point, not by an annoying mania, but to make it clear that they are not accidents but rigorously logical and mechanical consequences.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 20/05/13, 19:24

sen-no-sen wrote:But in a mamonic society everything can be sold and everything can be bought, for info artificial insemination costs 300 €!

If still necessary, I am willing to sacrifice myself.

I do it to you eye and without artifices. :D
8)
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 20/05/13, 20:05

Ahmed wrote:It is important to be precise on this point, not by an annoying mania, but to make it clear that they are not accidents but rigorously logical and mechanical consequences.

100% agree, I spoke of drift just out of language habit, ie drift towards what "should be" in a society in harmony.

Philippe Guillemant researchers at the CNRS, said that the deliquescent society in which we lived was the logical result of the system, which he compared to a "matrix" (in reference to the film of the same name).
In short, everything that happens (as you summarize it above) is "normal" (that is to say in the "standard" of the system), and does not correspond to an unforeseen accident (something that the media tries by all means the means to make us believe).
But most disturbing is that the components of the system are mutually reinforcing, accentuating from year to year the devastating effects of the whole.

It is not impossible to see - and this has already begun - the advent of a society worthy of the worst science fiction film.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 20/05/13, 20:12

Rabbit wrote:
sen-no-sen wrote:But in a mamonic society everything can be sold and everything can be bought, for info artificial insemination costs 300 €!

If still necessary, I am willing to sacrifice myself.

I do it to you eye and without artifices. :D
8)

I trust you rabbits are well known for their ability to reproduce! : Mrgreen:
0 x