The Steel Barons

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 03/10/12, 01:57

moinsdewatt wrote:The electric steelworks merely recast the scrap metal.

To treat the iron ores it is still necessary to blast furnaces operating with coke because coke is essential to reduce the iron ore which is in the oxidized state.

Review the Wilipedai page on the manufacture of iron and steel.

I don't know where are you going to get this? Two factories close to my home Roi tinto in Sorel tracy and Arcelor mital in Contrecoeur both use pellets in their electric ovens, it is ore with high iron content which passed in a concentrator which comes from the iron mines of northern Quebec.
To see the quantity of electric ovens and the tonnage of billets it produces I wonder where it is sold? hard to believe that the demand for steel has decreased.
An old Stelco section uses only recycled scrap with a single electric furnace, the billet casting and almost continuously.

Andre
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 03/10/12, 12:30

or will I get it? the metalurgy lessons I had at school ... I don't doubt your information ... I need to find out

that would mean that the blast furnace is no longer the only way to use ore

if there are solutions with electric oven, it is not necessarily stupid to stop maintaining a blast furnace ...

anyway arcelor was sold to mital ... and there is no reason to question the property right ... so he does what he wants

if the government wants to do something it is necessary to create other activity which will consume steel and it will be necessary that mital provides

if mital wanted to sell us steel from the other side of the world too expensive and close a factory in france, we would be able to nationalize ... but this is not the case today: if we nationalized today we would close the factories maybe even faster than mital

buying the blast furnace alone lost in the middle of the factory is a huge nonsense: this kind of industry cannot be cut in small pieces
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 03/10/12, 20:46

Andre wrote:..... Two factories close to me Roi tinto in Sorel tracy and Arcelor mital in Contrecoeur both use pellets in their electric ovens, it is ore with high iron content which passed in a concentrator which comes iron mines in northern Quebec ....

Andre

If someone has more details I'm interested.

In this document http://www.acier.org/fileadmin/FFA/Publ ... er_web.pdf they talk about `` dumplings '' but it goes well through a blast furnace.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 03/10/12, 20:57

According to this very detailed document http://www.rncan.gc.ca/mineraux-metaux/ ... -2009/3578 , André 's statement is most certainly false.

Perhaps he did not see the blast furnaces, or should he question the employees.

because :
Iron ore pelletizing is the second use of bentonite, after the manufacture of foundry sands. The classic pelletizing of this ore consists in crushing it then mixing it with small quantities of bentonite in order to bind the grains and to agglomerate them into pellets by the effect of agitation and induration of processes using a straight grid. The pellets are then sintered in rotary ovens to harden the surface. Around the world, around 25% of iron ore is processed into pellets. Other main forms of iron ore used to produce metal include lump ore, produced by crushing and screening, as well as sintered iron ore, from natural or screened fines. Bentonite absorbs water, serves as a binder and increases the strength of the pellets, but it adds silica to the feed material of blast furnaces, which requires an increased use of flux and coke. The Canadian iron ore industry is largely supplied with bentonite by European producers.

In Canada, raw ore usually has between 30 and 44% iron, while in Brazil, it may contain almost no other mineral and titrate up to 68% iron. In Canadian mines, it is therefore necessary to crush and grind the ore, then subject it to gravimetric and magnetic concentration to produce concentrates with an iron content of approximately 65%. Depending on their particle size, the concentrates are delivered as is or agglomerated into balls of about one centimeter in diameter which are baked to produce hard iron ore pellets. In steelworks, blast furnaces are fed with these pellets and carbon coke, in order to produce metallic iron from the ore. The concentrates which have not been subjected to pelletizing are sintered at the steelworks before feeding the blast furnaces.

As mentioned earlier, iron ore is made up of oxygen and iron bound in the form of molecules. To produce metallic iron, the ore has to be smelted or subjected to a direct reduction process to remove oxygen. Since the bond between oxygen and iron is strong, it is necessary to create reaction conditions which favor a more powerful chemical bond, that is between carbon and oxygen, at high temperature. To do this, the iron ore must be pulverized and mixed with coke to allow it to melt. As the process of combining to chemically separate oxygen and iron produces carbon dioxide, the fusion of iron and carbon must take place in an oxygen-poor medium, so that the combustion of carbon produces carbon monoxide rather than carbon dioxide.

0 x
Other

by Other » 04/10/12, 00:25

Hello

I am going to the information of the nearby factory (4km)
the electric ovens are fed by a scrap bottom then it is completed with pellets, these pellets are treated are up to 75% iron.
The product produces a quality cast iron which then passes through a converter to make it into steel.
Originally this factory produced paint pigment and titanium, the by-product was cast iron, now it produces steel billets,
I can assure you that there is no blast furnace converter to process the melting of the pocket electric furnaces to make alloy steel, nickel, chromium, manganese, finally all their recipe, but no blast furnace ..

A pilot plant in Australia is experimenting with the use of dumplings only in an electric oven.

Andre

http://emplois.riotinto.ca/decouvrir

Rio Tinto, Fer et Titane is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Rio Tinto group. Rio Tinto, Fer et Titane has been operating for almost 60 years and maintains its position as the main producer of titanium slag. Rio Tinto Fer et Titane operates an open pit mine at Lake Tio, nearby port facilities in Havre-Saint-Pierre, and a metallurgical complex in Sorel-Tracy, Quebec. Rio Tinto, Fer et Titane has approximately 1 employees and operates a mine and a smelting facility for ilmenite, a iron and titaniferous ore from Canada.

the details of the other 28km factory (cellci I know I worked there) http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... -ispat-inc

Sidbec-Dosco transforms iron ore pellets and steel scrap into liquid crude steel, through a series of iron and steel manufacturing units. Sidbec's two Midrex installations reduce direct reduction iron pellets. It is the only direct reduction iron plant of this type in Canada. The direct reduction iron is melted with scrap and pig iron in two electric arc furnaces, which transform this metallic mass into liquid steel. Two continuous casting machines solidify the liquid steel and transform it into steel bars and billets. A 60-inch Steckel hot strip mill turns molded bars into hot rolled strips. Two 52 "reversible cold rolling mills then transform the hot rolled strips into thinner cold rolled strips. The molded billets are processed in the bar rolling mill.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 04/10/12, 09:07

Obtaining cast iron usually involves pyrometallurgy between rust and carbon monoxide.

Maybe there are further purification processes in electric ovens? In particular the purification of carbon remains to pass from cast iron to steel, with oxygen blowing

The fact that the iron arrives in balls makes me think that it has already been processed ... probably in a blast furnace.

But André's link is interesting : Idea:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 04/10/12, 13:23

the blast furnace is supplied entirely with ore

the electric furnace supplied mainly with already made scrap can therefore also pass a certain quantity of ore pelletized with coal

so that means that when recycling is the main source of steel there will no longer be a need for a blast furnace

important consequence: electric furnaces do not need to be as big as blast furnaces: we can therefore make more small steel with electric furnaces
0 x
Other

by Other » 04/10/12, 19:21

Hello

chatelot16 wrote:the electric furnace supplied mainly with already made scrap can therefore also pass a certain quantity of ore pelletized with coal

I never
Do you have quantified information, coming from a steelworks, on the% of scrap and% of ore in ball and ball that we put in an electric oven?

There are 3 steel factories very close to my home, I worked in both
Stelco Contreceour only for scrap, mainly produced high grade fine steels 600 tonnes annually
the other steelworks (former Sidbec Dosco) next function with scrap and ore in ball (to see the heap of scrap and the heap of ore I am not ready to say that it is mainly in scrap for the load of ovens (although I will check with the oven operators to confirm the proportions.)

The other Rio Tinto factory is mainly ore in pellets and a little bit of scrap, so I will take exact information on the proportions. the origin of this factory was to get the slag out of the ore for paint pigments, the by-product of cast iron now used to make steel and billets in an annex to this factory.

Andre
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 04/10/12, 20:37

Andre wrote:Hello

I am going to the information of the nearby factory (4km)
the electric ovens are fed by a scrap bottom then it is completed with pellets, these pellets are treated are up to 75% iron.
The product produces a quality cast iron which then passes through a converter to make it into steel.
Originally this factory produced paint pigment and titanium, the by-product was cast iron, now it produces steel billets,
I can assure you that there is no blast furnace converter to process the melting of the pocket electric furnaces to make alloy steel, nickel, chromium, manganese, finally all their recipe, but no blast furnace ..

A pilot plant in Australia is experimenting with the use of dumplings only in an electric oven.

Andre

http://emplois.riotinto.ca/decouvrir

Rio Tinto, Fer et Titane is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Rio Tinto group. Rio Tinto, Fer et Titane has been operating for almost 60 years and maintains its position as the main producer of titanium slag. Rio Tinto Fer et Titane operates an open pit mine at Lake Tio, nearby port facilities in Havre-Saint-Pierre, and a metallurgical complex in Sorel-Tracy, Quebec. Rio Tinto, Fer et Titane has approximately 1 employees and operates a mine and a smelting facility for ilmenite, a iron and titaniferous ore from Canada.

the details of the other 28km factory (cellci I know I worked there) http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... -ispat-inc

Sidbec-Dosco transforms iron ore pellets and steel scrap into liquid crude steel, through a series of iron and steel manufacturing units. Sidbec's two Midrex installations reduce direct reduction iron pellets. It is the only direct reduction iron plant of this type in Canada. The direct reduction iron is melted with scrap and pig iron in two electric arc furnaces, which transform this metallic mass into liquid steel. Two continuous casting machines solidify the liquid steel and transform it into steel bars and billets. A 60-inch Steckel hot strip mill turns molded bars into hot rolled strips. Two 52 "reversible cold rolling mills then transform the hot rolled strips into thinner cold rolled strips. The molded billets are processed in the bar rolling mill.

Okay, if the meatballs are 75% iron, and it's mixed with scrap, it's a process not very common. Well good if it works.
Thank you for being checked on site.

But elsewhere in China and India it remains the classic blast furnace.
0 x
Other

by Other » 06/10/12, 20:46

Hello
Information confirmed by a worker from the iron and titanium plant

the electric ovens are loaded only with enriched treated ore, it adds coal and other ingredients. The main main product is tatanium slag, the by-product is cast iron.
when starting a cold oven the procedure is longer, it always keeps a (heel) a bottom of liquid cast iron which facilitates the functioning of the electrodes in the bath.
(Better to transport pellets of processed ore than raw ore by boat from the mine to the factory.)

Andre
0 x