Wind turbine: MPPT or PWM controller?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
vinzman
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Wind turbine: MPPT or PWM controller?

by vinzman » 11/03/12, 16:14

Hi, it's all in the title.

Basically, I am looking for a charge regulator for my 300 watt wind turbine and so I am now looking to buy one but I do not know which type to choose.
What would be most appropriate?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/03/12, 18:09

there is no choice: an MPPT usually contains a PWM

PWM is a way to vary a voltage

MPPT is a method of controlling the PWM (or another type of dimmer) to find the maximum power

attention the method to seek the maximum power is different for a photovoltaic panel and for a wind turbine

with a photovoltaic panel the change in power is instantaneous when you change the voltage ... and the curve of the photovoltaic is monotonous

the behavior of the wind turbine will be a trap for a solar MPPT: when it lowers the voltage the power starts to increase because there is the inertia of the rotor, then the power decreases because it lowers the speed ... and maybe even stall completely if the MPPT does not reduce the current fast enough

a solar MPPT may never find stable operation

so you need an MPPT made for wind turbine and I even wonder if it should not be done exactly for a specific wind turbine model

my preferred solution is to put an anemometer on the wind turbine, and to find experimentally at what speed or what tension it is necessary to put the wind turbine at each wind speed
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 11/03/12, 21:17

Read it :

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?sujet=138135.0

it will guide you a lot I think in your choice :) .
0 x