[Solved] Excitation of a car alternator

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 06/01/12, 10:23

Clad wrote:Can we create the excitement of an unmodified auto alternator by means of a small DC 12V motor attached to the same pulley as the alternator?
Yes, it can be done.
In fact, it is a bit like the principle of the rotating diode alternator in which the excitation is produced by the equivalent of a DC motor built into the alternator.

Clad wrote:Thus it would be excited only when the wind turbine reaches a sufficient speed to produce the 12V of the DC motor ...
In practice, the excitement will increase gradually with speed, and not suddenly when speed is reached, but maybe that is quite a good thing?
0 x
Clad
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Clad » 06/01/12, 14:26

Gaston wrote:
Clad wrote:Can we create the excitement of an unmodified auto alternator by means of a small DC 12V motor attached to the same pulley as the alternator?
Yes, it can be done.
In fact, it is a bit like the principle of the rotating diode alternator in which the excitation is produced by the equivalent of a DC motor built into the alternator.

Clad wrote:Thus it would be excited only when the wind turbine reaches a sufficient speed to produce the 12V of the DC motor ...
In practice, the excitement will increase gradually with speed, and not suddenly when speed is reached, but maybe that is quite a good thing?

We look forward to seeing you!

Yes that would be a good thing, but it seems to me that the regulator only works as soon as it receives the 12V ??
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."