Idea of ​​renewable energy by the sea?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...

Is this solution possible and viable?

The poll expired on 08 / 02 / 10, 11: 13

Yes!!!
75%
No!!!!
25%
Don't know but to study ...
no votes

Total votes: 4
kris
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Idea of ​​renewable energy by the sea?

by kris » 08/01/10, 11:13

Hello,
after various research I ask myself the following question, would it be possible to create a kind of float (sea / ocean) type big boat therefore partially submerged, to put in this float a ram pump coupled to a turbine and a bilge pump to empty too much water?
I do not know if I made myself understood but the idea being to bring in water through a wall of the float, to transform it into an elec via a turbine and if not enough pressure put a ram which raises this water sea ​​then descend it by a certain flow in a turbine which will provide a certain KWh of which a part would be used to evacuate the overflow generated by the ram?
It's better?
Is it possible? is it profitable?
Thank you for your answers.....
0 x
What else !!
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 08/01/10, 11:49

I answered the survey before I read well ... There are methods to exploit the energy of the sea, but the one that you propose does not work: you will lose the energy gained by entering to bring out l water:

The ram disperses part of the incoming energy, and only works with sufficient pressure; it only goes up a part of the incoming volume of water. You will therefore have to run the bilge pump, consuming the energy of the turbine .... With the energy conversion factors (~ 90% for the alternator, ~ 80% for storage then ~ 80% for the pump ) between the production of energy and its use, it is only a matter of time, but the sinking is assured ...

On the other hand, you can try to adapt a similar system in a fixed position, and taking advantage of tidal energy ... and presto, the famous Rance factory is back.

You can also exploit differences in osmotic pressures, but it's more complex.

Or the energy of the swell with a float ...

But the perpetual machine that produces energy by filling a sinking boat and being scooped, it doesn't work!
0 x
kris
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kris » 08/01/10, 12:03

Thank you for this answer, I already had a look at the level of the tides, but it takes a minimum of 5m to be interesting, so not where I intend to settle .... and I love the image of the boat I quotes:
"But the perpetual machine that produces energy by filling a sinking boat that is scooped, that does not work!"
Well and shame then ...
Thanks for your answer anyway
0 x
What else !!
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

tidal power

by oli 80 » 17/01/10, 18:34

hello, here is what already exists in tidal energy

http://domsweb.org/ecolo/energie-eau.php

there is also a wave actuated pump

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9952575-54.html,

video of its operation http://greenenergytv.com/Watch.aspx?v=1606752422
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 17/01/10, 20:56

Yes to get energy from the sea. The how remains:

First way, recover the potential energy caused by the tides. These are tidal factories such as the Rance plant.
Problem, the stream is closed to boats.
This can also be considered for canyons. We could even imagine building coastal infrastructure to store water during high tides. When we see the size of the artificial islands and the dams that we make today, this is not unthinkable. In addition, it is possible to have production both when filling and emptying the "basin".

Second way, using the kinetic energy of sea currents. These are tidal turbines, like those submerged off the coast of England. Coastal currents are much more stable and predictable than winds. The energy transported by the water is important and we are not witnessing phenomena of "gusts" putting the wind turbines in protection.

Third way, use the energy of the swells. Several prototypes work and projects exist. We recover kinetic energy from the waves (sea snake systems) and potential energy from the water column with pressure variation systems or buoys going up and down by driving generators.

The fourth way is to use thermal energy from the ocean by capturing cold water at depth and using hot surface water - or from thermal installations (solar / fossil / nuclear).

There is a lot of energy to recover. However, the marine environment is an aggressive environment that imposes more constraints than continental infrastructures, both in the choice of materials and the maintenance of structures. But we can do it, it's more expensive.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Idea of ​​renewable energy by the sea?

by oli 80 » 19/03/11, 19:11

kris wrote:Hello,
after various research I ask myself the following question, would it be possible to create a kind of float (sea / ocean) type big boat therefore partially submerged, to put in this float a ram pump coupled to a turbine and a bilge pump to empty too much water?
I do not know if I made myself understood but the idea being to bring in water through a wall of the float, to transform it into an elec via a turbine and if not enough pressure put a ram which raises this water sea ​​then descend it by a certain flow in a turbine which will provide a certain KWh of which a part would be used to evacuate the overflow generated by the ram?
It's better?
Is it possible? is it profitable?
Thank you for your answers.....

Good evening, about hydraulic ram, why add a turbine which would use the water pressure of the ram, we could simply use the rams as motive force like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhXmPqm7og
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/03/11, 19:46

The most promising thing I know is this: https://www.econologie.com/forums/wavegen-us ... t8147.html
Last edited by Christophe the 21 / 03 / 11, 10: 31, 1 edited once.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 21/03/11, 08:35

I did a two-ball tinkering for a yachtsman whose boat is wet 6 months / year in the Charente estuary ... He was surprised at the effectiveness of the thing. A small alternator (recuperated from a small marine wind turbine found in the marshes after Xintia) on the propeller shaft; charge the battery at rising and falling tide .... To the point that it can leave the lights on (small ones to signal the ship) 24/24. Another advantage is that the propeller does not get dirty, the seal between the hull and the propeller shaft wears out faster ... Yes, something else ... Don't forget to disengage it when you are sailing with the engine ... : Cheesy:
0 x