Khaki ecology at the US Army

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Khaki ecology at the US Army

by freddau » 06/10/10, 22:11

the US military wants to reduce its dependence on fossil fuels - in Afghanistan, the first operational deployment of renewable energies

With insurgents increasingly attacking the American fuel supply convoys that lumber across the Khyber Pass into Afghanistan, the military is pushing aggressively to develop, test and deploy renewable energy to decrease its need to transport fossil fuels.

Last week, a Marine company from California arrived in the rugged outback of Helmand Province bearing novel equipment: portable solar panels that fold up into boxes; energy-conserving lights; solar tent shields that provide shade and electricity; solar chargers for computers and communications equipment.

The 150 Marines of Company I, Third Battalion, Fifth Marines, will be the first to take renewable technology into a battle zone, where the new equipment will replace diesel and kerosene-based fuels that would ordinarily generate power to run their encampment.

After a decade of waging wars in remote corners of the globe where fuel is not readily available, senior commanders have come to see overdependence on fossil fuel as a big liability, and renewable technologies - which have become more reliable and less expensive over the past few years - as providing a potential answer. These new types of renewable energy now account for only a small percentage of the power used by the armed forces, but military leaders plan to rapidly expand their use over the next decade.

(...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/scien ... ml?_r=1&hp

http://contreinfo.info/
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 06/10/10, 22:12

I like this Info ..
0 x