very important discovery Methane Hydrate in China

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
carburologue
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by carburologue » 01/11/09, 22:09

former oceanic wrote:Indeed, methane hydrates are relatively unstable.
Minimal pressure or temperature variations cause them to disintegrate and release methane.
Methane releases take place in the Arctic Ocean (source), evidence that warming 1 or 2 ° C can cause damage with a disastrous runaway.
Some speculate that the disappearance of some ships in the famous Bermuda Triangle may be related to the breakage of these clathrates by the pressure wave of the ship causing a chain reaction and the sudden rise of bubbles. The seawater is transformed into foam on which the ship can not float and disappears without leaving traces.
In short, for me, in the current state of things, trying to exploit the methane hydrates is like wanting to roll a nitroglycerin solex with its full tank of nitro and on a paved street ...
Crazy and dangerous ...

it seems that the tsunami is precisely due to these methane hydrates ... I agree with you it's pure madness ... wanting to market this methane ... a mistake and we all create /// :?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/11/09, 10:12

Carbu, it is better to market them and burn them in CO2 rather than going into the atmo form CH4 ...

Small complement a little HS compared to this!

There would also be some mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle that would be, according to some assumptions due to gas hydrates and this (at least) of 2 ways:

(a) aircraft passing through a methane-laden air:
- either "flammable" and therefore either immediate explosion,
- either too poor in O2 with consequences on the drivers and engines (mixture becoming too rich).

b) rarer I think: boats that would flow (almost perpendicular) in a sea that degased strongly and spontaneously (a boat that floats on the water, but less well) if not even consequences on the occupants by plane .. ..

The b) recalls the "killer lakes"by spontaneous CO2 degassing ... I believe that Lake Victoria is one of them ...

Small "practical" question: how can there be ice at the bottom of the oceans which are all at + 4 ° C? And how can we fear that a warming of a few ° of the atmosphere will release this methane, which is "trapped" at the bottom of the sea?

In fact the CH4 of permafrost ("terrestrial" hydrates) is more worrying ... I think ... for the climate!
0 x
diablotruc
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by diablotruc » 02/11/09, 12:53

Hello everyone,

Christophe,

To answer your question about the presence of methane hydrate at the bottom of the ocean, it would seem that there is a range of pressure and temperature that gives them stability.

I found an exam or the first part gives good explanations

http://www3.ac-clermont.fr/pedago/svt/d ... OMPLET.pdf

In Science and Nature in the Time Bomb section we talk about permafrost

Carbon dioxide is not the only greenhouse gas. There is one whose activity is 21 times larger and which is far from negligible: methane.

Present in huge quantities in permafrost - frozen ground arctic regions...
Researchers have recently found that an area of ​​one million square kilometers - the area of ​​France and Germany combined - permafrost in Western Siberia began to melt for the first time since its formation at the end of the last Ice Age 11.000 years ago.

The methane hydrate present under the sea, which represent 10 one trillion of carbon equivalent, owes its stability only to the high pressures and low temperatures which prevail at the bottom of the oceans. It is estimated that an increase of a few degrees in the temperature of the deep oceanic layers would be enough to release it ...

http://www.sciencesetnature.org/dossier ... s_0306.php

To those who read the link, I voluntarily cut a part of the article, please excuse me. The bad weather is already enough to put us in a bad mood ...

A good idea for breeders : Lol: :

0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 02/11/09, 23:20

A zebrile cow : Lol: it crushes the ground less which is pleasant for .... earthworms : Cheesy:

It started Tophe! I saw the ocean blistering happily in a show where we talked about the greenhouse effect ... : Cry:

So unless you capture it on the ocean, or set it on fire, which by a thermal effect would warm the atmosphere even faster ... :?:

Meow :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 04/11/09, 20:23

Christophe wrote: ..... Small "practical" question: how can there be ice at the bottom of the oceans which are all at + 4 ° C? And how can we fear that a warming of a few ° of the atmosphere will release this methane, which is "trapped" at the bottom of the sea?
.....!

Methane hydrate is not water ice in the usual sense. Once the molecule is "caged" in the water molecules the physical quality of ice is slightly altered compared to normal ice.

Wikipedia: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrate_de_m%C3%A9thane

.... The methane hydrate is formed of water molecules forming dodecahedral cages that trap gas molecules such as methane, hydrogen sulphide (both gas present in the hydrate collected by the ship Sonne) . These cages can store considerable amounts of gas (eg 164 cm3 methane in 1 cm3 hydrate).
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"