Wood heating in Mayenne: pellets or compressed logs?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
robi53
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Wood heating in Mayenne: pellets or compressed logs?

by robi53 » 27/07/09, 21:14

hello to all, coming to meet you and register at the same time !!!!

it is not easy to be well informed between the real innovations and ...................... the commercial sense of the sellers : Cheesy:

I therefore have an insert that gives me satisfaction, however, the price of wood on the Mayenne as well as the handling makes me ask myself the following question: currently 60 € per dry stere 2 years !!!!

are compressed or compressed logs of wood effective and / or profitable? ecological impact?
info is scarce on the web so I'm a bit lacking.

thank you for all your advice when using my insert and / or using these famous compressed logs

Sincerely

Philippe
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 04/08/09, 00:24

Compressed logs are very dry (<10%), and give combustion as good as very dry wood (3-4 years). On the other hand, they are more expensive and be careful with storage which can make them regain humidity.
On the other hand, I saw that there are logs "night", slow combustion. I doubt the cleanliness of this combustion there.
what is your insert?
0 x
robi53
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Thank you for your reply

by robi53 » 04/08/09, 22:29

voila, my insert at about fifteen years', it is a 10KW godin, with a nozzle to diffuse the heat in the corridor and annually I burn between 3 and 4 cords, according to the winters. because of my irregular schedules, I am forced to leave a background of electric storage heating which gives me satisfaction!
it is true that compressed logs interest me but how to know if the ration cost / size / efficiency is at least good? the literature on the subject is scarce, apart from the commercial links that are worth ............................. what exactly? ?????

merci de votre aide
Philippe : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

Re: thank you for your reply

by Christophe » 04/08/09, 22:32

robi53 wrote:it is true that compressed logs interest me but how to know if the ration cost / size / efficiency is at least good? the literature on the subject is scarce, apart from the commercial links that are worth ............................. what exactly? ?????

They call me ????

0 x
robi53
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

compressed logs

by robi53 » 04/08/09, 22:34

Yes ! if you can pipe me seriously on the subject !!
Sincerely
philippe : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/08/09, 22:39

Well, I can say everything except ... about the prices ... which vary greatly depending on the location and the producers.

I saw that in France compressed buchettes could be more expensive than pellets ...

In terms of use, I think it's the best compared to wood and pellets (we tested the 3) because:

a) there are no disadvantages of woodworking (no splitting, no bark lying around everywhere)
b) it burns in "everything" not worth a pellet stove (which only burns pellets)
c) it almost does not make ash
d) it's always dry
e) it heats up very quickly

The only drawback is that:
a) it burns (at equivalent volume) faster than a log
b) it can make a little dust when strongly handled (shock)
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 04/08/09, 22:39

If you can properly dry your wood, it will be cheaper for compressed logs. They cost roughly like pellets, but by burning them in your insert, you do not have the yield gain provided by pellet devices.
0 x
robi53
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWERS

by robi53 » 04/08/09, 22:43

and pellets, can we put some in the chimney, but without risk?
advantage / disadvantages if feasible?
it's great internet, thank you for your help and glad to know you

Long live awareness of a problem burning the environment but that the subject is vast and the choices uncertain?
good to you
Philippe : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/08/09, 22:47

Well, we tested: the pellets do not burn well "alone" in a fireplace ... mixed with something else, yes but only no, it is the disaster!

You have to ventilate / aerate a lot more than with wood or logs ... so you have to add a "room" in the stove, like a "perforated aerator tube"

I even made a subject to try to modify our stove but I did not reach the end of the experience!

Everything is here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/bruler-des ... t6923.html

Beyond 2 cm deep, the pellets remain intact (thermal insulation, not enough O2 ...) when the stove is on ...
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 04/08/09, 22:56

Christophe doesn't like to split wood, and I know guys who go out to make their wood with the same pleasure as others who go fishing. (not me) :P

So it's up to you to see according to your tastes and your means.

there are baskets to burn the pellets in a fireplace. But I do not see the interest, as well take pressed logs.
0 x