Chlorinated combustion of papers, catalogs ...

Discussion of methods of remediation and control air quality.
Christophe

Chlorinated combustion of papers, catalogs ...

by Christophe » 09/07/09, 14:22

I just did some paper burning tests.

Results in pictures (not easy to photograph a flame):

As a reminder: a green flame = presence of chlorine.

What did I burn?

a) envelopes:

b) end of catalogs (thin "semi" glossy paper)

In 2 cases, despite appearances (same texture, same colors, the combustion of one of the 2 releases chlorine and the other not).

I think that chlorine comes primarily from inks (or inking solvents?) Used in the paper: some seem to retain chlorine (at least it is visible in a visible way to combustion) more than others ...

By burning the "frozen" covers of the catalogs: no green flame on the other hand ...

Business to follow (if you have ideas of things to "test"?). A video arrives on these tests.

All this to say that the combustion of certain papers, a priori innocuous, is not without impact on the environment ... even on our health (possibility of dioxins? I advance but we never know)?

Small picture of the ignition to show the draw:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/07/09, 16:41

Here is the video, we see pretty well the green flames: https://www.econologie.com/pollution-au- ... -4102.html
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 09/07/09, 18:25

I remain a little perplexed, I thought that a green flame was due to the presence of copper chloride, mainly copper whose chlorine would have only the function of oxidant.

But I'm not a chemist myself, would I be smoked intelectually? : Cheesy:
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/07/09, 10:46

Well, I do not know exactly what it is except that it is a compound that contains chlorine.

What is the function of copper or copper chloride in inks or in paper?
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 10/07/09, 12:48

Chlorine and its compounds are used to whiten paper

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanchiment_(papier)

Copper is it seems to me a pigment for inks

And from what I remember, copper and chlorine are needed for the flame to turn green.
Moreover, if we want to know if a compound contains chlorine we put it on a copper wire and we heat it is the Beilstein test
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/07/09, 12:58

Yes for the bleaching but according to the pro (see stone-ernest message) of the girl, there is no more chlorine in the paper once bleached ... See the debate (stormy) here:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/bilan-ecol ... t4840.html

Ah yes he speaks well of Chloride ... but sodium ... no Copper ...

1) after having played its role "bleacher", that is to say oxidizer, the chlorine dioxide used for the bleaching of the paper pulp is neutralized to sodium chloride, or sea salt. That one, you can heat it beyond its melting point (801 ° C) without it decomposing.
But anyway, as the pulp is rinsed after bleaching, there is more chloride in the paper, whitened or not.

And as the green flame only appears with a white paper on 2 I would tend to believe this.

Otherwise we had this subject too: https://www.econologie.com/forums/bruler-du- ... t5975.html

Ok for the ink pigment, it would explain why some paper emit a green flame and no other ...

Copper = blue I think? We should see if the "blue" paper is more green than the others ... it was not the case with 2 "blue inside" envelopes
0 x