Hydroelectricity on the river, which regulator?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Ga82
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Hydroelectricity on the river, which regulator?

by Ga82 » 23/06/09, 01:03

Hello everyone,
I have been interested in the different means of producing electricity for a while. Recently I have owned a chalet by the river. The chalet is currently supplied with electricity by a gasoline generator (installed by the former owner) which I want to remove. I first thought of a wind turbine but the land is very wooded so I turned to hydroelectricity. The river is very wide so the current is not strong. This is why I looked for generators which can be used at low rpm. I found 2 models, the WindBlue DC-540 and the FuturEnergy model. For the design I think I can manage. But electricity level I am not at the top. I want direct current 12 v.

If I am installing with batteries I understand that a charge regulator is required. The charge controller avoids overheating the batteries when they are full if I understood correctly.
But is it possible to use a charge regulator like that of the solar installations which cuts when the battery is charged or is it necessary necessarily one which turned the current towards resistances which heats as I have been able to see it on certain site?

Finally, is it possible to do without batteries (as the river never stops flowing) knowing that I would just like to have a little light in the chalet and to connect max a device like radio set on a 12v / 220v converter?

please
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 23/06/09, 01:36

Ga82

Welcome to the Econology website! :D

The little data on the speed of the current and the lack of photos makes it difficult to answer you.

The width of the stream and the flow are very important to give you adequate information.

The regulators for wind turbines or solar panels are not really suitable for hydroelectric, on the winder the resistors serve to protect it from the over-rotation which causes the destruction of the blades, on the solar it is useless to derive in resistors only if you want to use it for heating water or a room.

It would be preferable to use 1 or 2 buffer batteries for future devices which can consume a lot in a short period or to compensate for a possible breakdown or maintenance.

On the first site (winblue) there is a modified auto alternator and use its original regulator as long as you find the right ratio / torque, I invite you to read this subject to understand that you can use a non alternator modified which will cost you a few euros for scrap:

https://www.econologie.com/forums/construire ... t7815.html
:D
0 x
Ga82
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Ga82 » 23/06/09, 12:04

hello Alain G, thank you for your answer

I don't have any photos for the moment. For the width and the flow I don't really know: the river which is more of a river in fact is the Seine, the land is in the Yvelines. The average flow is 563 m3⋅s-1, I thought to put wooden planks to divert the maximum amount of water to concentrate it on the wheel like a kind of funnel. However, I don't think I'm getting a very strong current. This is why I need a generator requiring low rpm and low torque.

On the link that you gave me I saw that it was possible to multiply the voltage with the diode system; So just buy a car alternator for scrap, then at each startup make a simple contact of 1 or 2 seconds between the excitation wire and the positive of the battery, then even if the rev / min are low multiply the voltage with three transformers for the three phases or by connecting 3 capacitors to the diode bridges (voltage tripler).

Regarding the regulator, for me no problem of over-rotation, so no need for resistance.
But to avoid damaging the batteries (over-charging or over-discharging) the solar regulator seemed to me the most suitable. Can my alternator run in open circuit without being damaged?

to summarize my tour:

generator ---> regulator - 1 -> batteries - 2 -> chalet electrical circuit (light, transformer12v / 220v)

When the battery is full, the regulator cuts link 1 and when the battery is too low the regulator cuts link 2.

please
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 23/06/09, 13:24

Hello ga82

The paddle wheel on float seems to be the best suited for your project, the only small problem is for inking, but you can use a lying mast and fix from the shore.

See this topic: https://www.econologie.com/forums/tambour-de ... t6303.html

Can my alternator run in open circuit without being damaged?

The alternator can run in open circuit without any problem.

generator ---> regulator - 1 -> batteries - 2 -> chalet electrical circuit (light, transformer12v / 220v)

When the battery is full, the regulator cuts link 1 and when the battery is too low the regulator cuts link 2.

Your deduction is good, you're on the right track.

Good luck with your achievement!

Alain
0 x
Ga82
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Ga82 » 23/06/09, 14:58

So, what kind of regulator even if it is intended for solar panels can be suitable for my installation?
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 23/06/09, 15:52

Ga82

Yes you can use it.
:D
0 x