Pre-heating engine

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 06/11/08, 05:29

Hello

several reasons why consumption increases in the cold

first the engine temperature rise is longer sometimes 5km (a cold engine consumes more)
Oil temperature takes even longer to rise
the temperature of the fuel drops and that of the air intake also which gives more power but poorer performance.
In very cold weather
it takes more energy to drive the transmission, the oil thickens and the gears work like oil pumps
tires lose their flexibility, they are harder to turn, as are all wheel ball bearings.

At -30 if you start you cannot let go of the clutch in neutral without accelerating the engine suffocates and when you start to roll it takes 10km for the wheels start to turn round (the flat of the parking lot remains printed in the rubber the pressure of tire air decreases in the cold.

Andre
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 06/11/08, 11:21

there is a mini boiler system which consumes diesel and carries the vehicle ready to start, hot engine as passenger compartment (LDR), depending on the time to be set: "webasto" I think, I remember seeing it cheap on sites, on occasion ....
0 x
Groar
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Groar » 06/11/08, 22:32

About ecological interest, I was directed to this document in English:
REDUCED COLD START EMISSIONS THROUGH USE OF ELECTRIC ENGINE HEATERS

If I understood correctly from my quick reading, CO2 side at worst it is compensated (in summer), but that other pollutants side was always positive :)

Thanks for the webasto reference. It is a priori necessary that it is installed by a pro and must surely cost a little expensive (for obvious reasons of security, my level of DIY prevents me from mounting such a thing myself) :( but the independence side (there is no need for an electric cable from the house to the car: I park on the other side of the street ...) I like a lot, as well as the timer, the HF remote control is too gadget for me .

Denis
0 x
ecodriver and ecomodder:
megane 1.9 dT 1997: 3.8 L / 100 instead of 6.7
scenic 1.9 dCi 2001: 4.9 L / 100 instead of 5.9
annapurna
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by annapurna » 09/06/09, 15:21

Hello,

I am also looking for a retailer of this kind of product in France.
I found at a Swedish manufacturer www.calix.se (in English) and at a Norwegian manufacturer www.defa.com, but would like to know if someone imports them into France.

If you find them, please give a sign, if not I will try to order them directly there.

Have a good day
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 09/06/09, 19:29

You find Webasto which preheats the engine on the 806 Hdi, among others. Below 5/6 ° c (I know more exactly), as soon as you start, the Webasto starts up and remains in operation for a certain time even if, in the meantime, you have stopped the engine.
You should be able to find info on this.
0 x
annapurna
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by annapurna » 09/06/09, 20:48

Thanks bham for the info.
I know webasto, we had a Touran until not so long ago ... horror. The exhaust gases returned to the passenger compartment, huge smoke around the car as soon as it was a little cold (we live in ski resorts).
Now we have a Caravelle and I think we are going to invest in an electric pre-heating of the engine.
Since my last post I visited a lot of sites on the net and I found the models (calix and defa) that install on our engine. One can be found in Switzerland, or I will ask someone in Sweden to send it to me / bring it to me.

The "Nordics" have done lots of tests and statistics on the usefulness of these pre-heaters. It is well shown that we consume much less gasoline / diesel, the engines also suffer much less and last longer.

I will keep you posted for the future.
See you soon
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"