The world tour in 80 men

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
versay
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

The world tour in 80 men

by versay » 08/11/05, 11:55

For those who do not know, here is a nice initiative taken by two young men who met 80 personalities of sustainable development around the world in order to find credible economic solutions to the depletion of resources.

http://www.80hommes.com

A book is also available in fnac & co
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/05, 12:46

First seduced by the project, the idea is excellent and the work done also, I then, after information, found this approach "strange" ... and even go for a big stop, here is my opinion.

Just look at the CVs of the 2 participants (2 financiers) to start doubting, I quote:

"After discovering the concept of Sustainable Development during an internship in a consulting firm in San Francisco" It is obviously necessary to go to SF to discover the dev. sustainable ...

"he is going to Brazil for a cooperation in an SME importing French perfumes in Sao Paulo" Do you believe that imported French products are made to fight poverty?

and the best for last: "he is also leaving in cooperation in Brazil to Peugeot's finance department in Sao Paulo" Financial management of a large car manufacturer does not rhyme with sustainable development and fights against poverty ...
(I would like to know where the 2 students work now)

That is enough for me to "classify" this project ... Their book confirms these facts (unless the profits are donated to the fight against poverty ..) ... and supports them that they have great players in ecology (Hulot, WWF ... and ... the President of Lafarge! ... :( ) also.

Finally I think that this project is part of the sustainable development approach developed and recovered by large companies (the more they pollute the more they develop their image of sustainable development) ... just to give good conscience to everyone, their customers and their shareholders first ...

Conclusion: my opinion is therefore mixed but let's not spit in the soup, better is worth such a project than other purely capital projects!
0 x
versay
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by versay » 08/11/05, 16:18

I certainly understand your doubts
but the content of the book remains nonetheless humanist and citizen, from my point of view

when it comes to businesses, you have to keep in mind that great leaders are not all troublemakers for fun, but by competition: when you know that competitors will lower costs, you drop.
But if consultation is possible and a viable and reasonable competitive model can be found, everyone will be satisfied ... well, I hope.

the fact that lafarge supports this project is therefore not for me only a hypocrisy of the company, but also a means of supporting the project and the vision which it carries (it is not naivety on my part) .

I think you have to read the book to do this idea ...
and you will see that this is not publicity for PSA and Lafarge :D :D :D :D

(I specify that I have no financial or personal interest in this book)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/05, 16:29

Yes you are right, I judge a little without knowing .... but admit that given the presentation of the authors we can doubt.

I will be offered the book for Christmas, hoping that part of the profits will really go to the dev. sustainable. and not only in the pockets of financiers ...
0 x