Working in solar after a physics thesis?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
hattori_hanzo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Working in solar after a physics thesis?

by hattori_hanzo » 20/11/08, 17:31

Hello,

I am currently at the end of my doctoral thesis in physics (mainly fluid mechanics). I want to focus my career in the renewable energy sector and more specifically on solar energy: phtovoltaic, thermal even if possible on coupled solar / wind, PV / thermal systems. Integration into buildings and "passive house" projects also interest me a lot. I am interested in this sector and I keep myself up to date with the news via "the renewable energies journal" published by observ'ER. I would like to work on project development, so a project engineer position would be ideal for me

My question is: Can I find this job even if my initial training is not specifically focused on solar energy? I still specify that I have a fairly broad background in physics, I have a master's degree in applied physics. Do companies in these fields trust young doctors? Or is it imperative to go through training? (I already inquired for the European Master EUREC at the school of mines but that would postpone my entry on the job market for another year - I am 27 years old).

By the way I asked myself another question: is it relevant and possible to come to renewable energy fairs looking for a job? or else I might pass for a nuisance when the theme of the fair is not employment?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to me. It is very important for me and at my age I cannot take the risk of making a bad calculation and wasting time.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 20/11/08, 18:45

Hi Hattori,

One thing is sure, the mechanics of fluids and solar, it is not especially very connected.

A little bit for heat transfer heat transfer in possible heat exchangers. But I do not think that this is what employers will stick to because you have a good theoretical training which allows you to quickly upgrade in a specialty of the physical sciences.

You will probably not be "propelled" project engineer "(ie project manager), but studies engineer (ie member of the project team and responsible for studies and engineering).

To complete your training, I do not know the EUREC master. On a theoretical level, you already have enough background (a doctorate in physics is worth more than a master ...)

If you really want to increase your chances of hiring, I suggest you even extend your studies to do a training not too long on the management / commercial aspects (because it is included in the basic studies of engineers, but not in university course): like this, an employer knows that he can entrust you with technical and commercial tasks in the medium term and in the longer term the management of a team.

This versatility in science / commerce / management is much appreciated.

For job search, then, all the occaz to meet actors (forums, spontaneous applications, exhibitions, knowledge networks ...) are good to take it is the luck and the motivation expressed by the candidate that make the decision.

@+
0 x
hattori_hanzo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by hattori_hanzo » 20/11/08, 18:56

Thank you for your answer.

I was wrong in the term I was thinking of joining a team working on solar projects and not a project manager.

In fact I have two training possibilities. On the one hand the European master EUREC whose teaching is done in France at the school of mines of Sophia Antipolis, it is a post-master training of one year (therefore bac +6) with an internship 4-5 months in a company design office. It is a more technical training I think that is aimed at already graduated engineers. a specialization is to be chosen: wind, solar, biomass, thermal in buildings, hybrid systems.

I also have a training offer as a manager of sustainable development in partnership with the CNAM of 92 and which is done in alternation and which is therefore not specific to solar, it is therefore necessary to find a box that does in solar .

Apart from having mine school marked on a piece of paper I had several opinions telling me to favor technical training which was more "solid" than the training of manager where we learn a little of everything but nothing in detail.

Do you have an opinion on the matter? What is your background?

Thank you
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 20/11/08, 19:24

Hello,

I am a half-retrained ... Basically, I was an IFMA engineer (roughly ENSAM-type training, but in Auvergne)

Then I became an Associate Professor in Physical Sciences. But my Father and I cogitate a lot and we created a small family engineering activity.

The technical training of EUREC and its internship seem to come very close to the "standard engineering" course. For you as an academic, this would be a plus and allow you during the internship to make "acquaintances".

You could also recover (a little only because you are not a mining engineer at the base ...) the network of Mines.

But ... If you could do management / commerce modules at the same time ...

There are sometimes partnerships between engineering schools and business schools (ESC, HEC ...), you should inquire for Sophia Antipolis. It is a big center, there is little way ...

I know very well that "management / commerce" is tart with cream, but if you don't have it on your CV with your academic background, a young engineer "brewer of wind", especially if he has this complementary specialization (bac + 6 type) may be more appreciated. : Idea:
0 x
hattori_hanzo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by hattori_hanzo » 21/11/08, 09:30

thank you for your advice. And my wishes of success for your projects
0 x