Pesticides near homes

Discussion of methods of remediation and control air quality.
gaby
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Pesticides near homes

by gaby » 22/03/16, 17:43

Hello,

After watching several reports on the danger of pesticides on health, especially on children (endocrine disruptors, carcinogens) I ask myself a lot of questions.
I myself live in the countryside surrounded by cultivated fields including one a few meters from my house and it is clear that when the tractor pulverizes the droplets are projected in my garden ...
I really hesitate to move even if I love my house but it is starting to give me anxiety, especially with regard to my son.

What do you think ?
Is my reaction disproportionate?
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: pesticides near homes

by Gaston » 22/03/16, 18:14

It is very difficult to answer a question like this.

Whatever my sales pitch, you can always think that I am lying or that I am wrong.

If your anxiety is to a point that you cannot manage it, it is better to move for your psychological health ... by carefully avoiding in addition to the countryside, the city and its pollution with fine particles, nuclear power plants and their risk of accident, the valleys with a dam upstream, the proximity of telephone relay antennas, constructions on the edge of cliffs and above abandoned mines, factories classified Seveso, airports, seismic zones, flood zones, refineries and their emanations, the French overseas departments and territories and their Zika virus, Brittany and its radon, the seashores and their risk of tsunami, the sun and its UV rays, ... (strike out unnecessary information).
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Pesticides near homes

by Ahmed » 22/03/16, 20:40

Gaston, you haven't finished demoralizing this poor Gaby? :)

It is true that this question of agricultural pesticides is not in the process of being resolved, even if the current Minister of Agriculture feigns support for organic farming, "wants" a reduction in the use of products. chemicals, while lobbying for the opposite, as recently:
As he has dealt - note that the political result is not famous - with the FNSEA of Beulin, he has nothing more to refuse to the agro-industry. Besides, he did not hesitate to send a letter to the deputies. Those who were discussing these days about a possible ban on bee-killing neonicotinoid pesticides under the Biodiversity Law. In this letter - what deception, anyway! - he asked elected officials not to vote for this ban. Which was finally achieved just in time, effective in 2018.

Source.

I think, at a minimum, it is necessary to take precautions during spreading (window closings ...) and be a little offensive when spreading takes place in windy weather. Unfortunately, it seems illusory to arrive at a ban near an individual dwelling ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/03/16, 20:54

way to see more practical, talk about it with the farmer who has the fields around your home, so that he is aware of the problem

it does not spray products every day on the entire surface at the same time: the main thing is to avoid bad days

with the current regulations it is already forbidden to spray on days when there is wind, but it is even more important not to spray near homes when there is wind

a dialogue with the farmer would be constructive! it does not necessarily use radioactive toxic products or worse ... it may be simpler products without great danger

chat a little bit before paranoia

endocrine disrupters are severely subjected to it by a multitude of additives in plastic materials, in paints, and worse in cleaning products ... cleaning products are perhaps the worst dirt that some have at home
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/03/16, 21:10

maybe he uses simpler products without great danger

It is not forbidden to dream ... :D
... okay, there are regulations, but violators are rarely upset, hence my recommendation for firmness. As for the discussion, that's fine, but the current farming system condemns the use of these products, regardless of the good or bad will of the farmer.
0 x
gaby
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by gaby » 22/03/16, 21:22

First of all thank you for your answers.
Indeed it might be good that I discuss a little with the farmer to know what he uses as products.
What Gaston says echoes what my spouse tells me. Indeed the environment has become so polluted and therefore dangerous for humans that I wonder if I will not be worried elsewhere ... is the city air healthier than that of my home? ?

But I still think that pesticides are a real danger and I find it unacceptable that there are no more reforms on this subject even if it moves a little as you say Ahmed for bees
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/03/16, 21:34

As for bees, it is not yet certain that the ban on neonicotinoids is pronounced: this is only a step. In addition, there is no evidence to suggest that a possible ban is sufficient to resolve a much broader problem that is linked to global agricultural practices, such as the reduction of plant biodiversity and the extension of monocultures. ..
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/03/16, 22:09

gaby wrote:But I still think that pesticides are a real danger and I find it unacceptable that there are no more reforms on this subject even if it moves a little as you say Ahmed for bees

Welcome here Gaby!

I invite you to browse, in addition to this, this subject from 2008 where we had already discussed the question: Pollution air / pesticide-cohabitation-agriculture-standard-houses-t5937.html
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/03/16, 22:12

for the neonicotinoid you don't risk anything it only kills the bees ... it doesn't even kill them directly, it just makes them lose the north and they don't go to the hive and die anywhere

neonicotinoids are not sprayed in the fields but coat the seeds before sowing them ... and the plant that grows becomes a poison for bees!

the worst pig is not the one we see or smell ... when a farmer walks his sprayer that sows a smelly smelly it may be something safe, and the worst viscous product smells nothing

additional problem, the farmer is not a chemist ... we sell them and even impose anything ... those who want to understand to do better are rare and it is hard not to be imposed anything
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/03/16, 10:52

Neonicotinoids are actually used to coat seeds, but also in conventional spreading. They are insecticides, therefore potentially aggressive substances compared to certain other "phytosanitary" products.
0 x