Improved Oil Burner-reduction NOx and CO-Blue Flame

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 27/05/08, 12:54

A notable point quite interesting:

When my burner flame was below 950 ° C with a very blue flame and smoke temperatures at 110 ° C, I produced a lot of CO but also very fine particles of soot that had deposited in a thin brown layer in the whole boiler ... photo coming soon

Since I increased the flame T ° above 950 ° C by slightly reducing the airflow, the flue gas temperature was still 110 ° C and the flame a little less blue.

I rejected an eye yesterday and the thin film partially disappeared to the point that the surfaces of a boiler are almost clean !! : Shock: at this point that the flue gas temperatures went from 110 ° C to 90 ° C without any adjustments! as if the heating body had been perfectly cleaned (when I had just done it)

This means, that regulated like this with the recirculation of the water resulting from the combustion (see previous messages), we are perhaps in the presence of the demonstration that the injection of water vapor in "an oil flame" cleans and cleans the combustion chamber; I will take a picture for you by following

It will be necessary that I go up the T ° of the fumes not to go down to T ° of condensation, so I will be able to spray at higher pressure Image
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 28 / 05 / 08, 10: 20, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 27/05/08, 23:17

Here are the facts in picture

There is still a little of this layer of very fine soot in the corners, but the rest of the boiler is "cleaned"

To compare with this photo of 19 April (1mois and 10 days ago) when I had just cleaned the heating body

You will also notice that the flame is less blue, but it is apparently the ideal setting
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 28 / 05 / 08, 09: 56, 2 edited once.
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
Flytox

by Flytox » 27/05/08, 23:37

Hello Capt_Maloche

It's so cold at home that you still need to heat your house or are you trying your changes without heating? :?
For the month of August, I think you can dispense with heating 40 ° your living. : Mrgreen: even if it's for a good cause.
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 28/05/08, 09:49

Moron ! :D

the boiler also produces domestic hot water,
the heating is cut off since 2 months.

good, and what do you think of this deep cleaning of the boiler? it is certainly the first time since 20ans it is also clean ... the boiler has 30ans.

So?
due to the recycling of water vapor from combustion?
or condensation of sulfuric acid SO2? (Which would be surprising considering that after this last setting the T ° of the fumes was always 110 / 115 ° C and I also believe that there is almost no sulfur in the Fioul.O.Domestique, 0.1% since beginning 2008, ie 1g / Kg of fuel)
Sulfuric acid (formerly called vitriol or vitriol oil) is a toxic chemical compound of formula H2SO4

It is a strong mineral acid (unlike organic acids). It can mix with water in any proportion

Under the action of heat, sulfuric acid decomposes into sulfur trioxide and water. The reaction is almost complete at 450 ° C. ΔH of decomposition = +177 kJ / mol.

The main common metals are attacked with release of hydrogen. Diluted acid attacks zinc, iron, copper, and some iron, but not lead.

Concentrated sulfuric acid has no action on iron, steel and cold-melt, but when hot, almost all common metals react, including some fonts.

Ok for metals, but soot is essentially carbon, with maybe a little sulfur no?
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 28/05/08, 10:18

Soot is a set of chemical compounds resulting from the incomplete combustion of fuels (gasoline, diesel, fuel oil, kerosene). The soot is in the form of solid or tarry substances that are blackish in appearance and rich in carbon.

The formation of soot is related to the mode of combustion (in particular to the percentage of air or oxygen, with regard to stoichiometric combustion) and to the nature of the fuel (type of hydrocarbons). It consists of agglomerated carbon compounds, forming particles of about twenty nanometers, arranged in a spiral.

It changes the color of the flames when it is incandescent, the latter allowing the emission of wavelengths in all the visible spectrum.

The formation of soot is still poorly understood, while it is important because the soot contains various toxic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, even carcinogenic, and all the more so, they adsorb on fine particles metal, which further increases its toxicity.

Heating engineers are categorical, sulfuric acid eats boilers

So, cleaning due to water or acid?
because despite this cleaning, there is no deposit in the home ... and what is surprising is that the boiler only works for the ECS, I have eaten around 30L this month, is about . 20g of sulfur

with 20g of sulfur I can create enough acid to "eat" 1Kg of soot? unless the sulfur is contained in the deposit itself and the presence of water makes it act

and the sulfuric acid, that eats the carbon? where are the deposits?

Come on, let's go crazy :D , bet on the recirculation of water vapor, measures soon
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 31/05/08, 22:30

VOILAAAA!

My friend "Banban" came back to see me with his Pro equipment! no less than 50K € of instrumentation!
We settled in the basement in the boiler room.
On the left, a Pelletier effect air dryer for working with dry gases

In the middle VOC Analyzer (Volatile Organic Compounds) with its burner that carbides with hydrogen + Helium, to quantify the amount of suspended particles (unburned) and check the quality of combustion in ppm equivalent CH4 on wet gas only

On the right, a HORIBA analyzer able to give us precise measurements of NOx Chimieluminescence, SO2 infra red, CO Infra red, CO2 infrared, O2 Paramagnetic

Behind, the calibration gases.

What strikes at first glance is the almost zero amount of VOC measured whatever the following settings while the measurements are stable around the 400 / 500 ppm equivalent CH4 on wet gas for a traditional burner:
Here are the readings of the last adjustment of the boiler, the one which "cleans" the boiler
Not bad for a quick setting :D

WHAT WE CAN ABOVE AND ALREADY AFFIRM, IT IS THAT THE RE-CIRCULATION OF THE WATER VAPOR FROM THE COMBUSTION OF THE FUEL ALLOWS TO DIVIDE THE ORGANIC POLLUTION (carbon and soot) BY 400 !! BE ABOUT NIL, IT IS NOTHING!

For the history and validation of the 950 threshold of flame T ° for the production of CO, below increase of the air flow:
With the beautiful blue flame you know: with this assembly Blue = CO because too cold flame, here 270 ppm CO!

INCREASE THE AIR FLOW AND THE CO INCREASES !! CQFD note how VOCs (soot) increase with CO production

THIS IS OUR BEST SETTING
WITH A FLAME THAT IS NOT TOTALLY BLUE
WHERE IT IS NECESSARY TO ADJUST WITH A CO-ANALYZER
The flame temperature is not homogeneous, and for this last adjustment, the T ° is greater than 1000 ° C but with an outer layer less than 950 ° C because of the boundary layer due to recycling
For comparisons, here are the previous measurements made before adding my assembly on the burner, edifying no?
CO divided by 9 !!
Carbon and soot divided by 400 !!
NOx divided by 20 !!

DEMONSTRATION IS MADE THAT WATER VAPOR INJECTION IS HIGHLY BENEFICIENT TO THE COMBUSTION OF GASOIL

THEN, GO TO VEHICLES WHEN?

perfect combustion reaction GO (nitrogen is not present)
C2H16 34 + = 49 2 O32 CO2 + 34 H2O

With this and in view of the results obtained, it is not easy to calculate the percentage of water to inject knowing that 50% of the gases are recycled in the boiler

And There you go! My old oil burner is less polluting than the last gas boilers !!

Except that the boiler is not up to the height ... the heater is not super tight, and the price of fuel at this time, will have to do something :D but OK, the primary goal was to demonstrate the effectiveness of the water vapor, succeeded no?

I claim and I sign: P. MALOCHET
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 08 / 06 / 08, 09: 56, 9 edited once.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 31/05/08, 22:59

Hello Capt_Maloche

Super instrumentation and work .... 8)
In order to find out a little better, if you have them, you will be able to summarize the values ​​of the different pollutants with the legal or usual limit values ​​for this type of burner and the one you obtained. Ahhhh !!! that's it, it's punctuated now that you added the photos ... excellent result. : Mrgreen:
A+
Last edited by Flytox the 31 / 05 / 08, 23: 13, 1 edited once.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 31/05/08, 23:07

I just added the previous readings before modifs of my burner for comparison

The measurement of NOx was not possible with heating engineer instruments, but of the order of 1000 ppm

CO
It acts as a very toxic asphyxiant gas which, absorbed in a few minutes by the body, is fixed on the hemoglobin:

o 0,1% (1000 ppm) CO in the air kills in one hour
o 1% CO in the air kills in 15 minutes
o 10% CO in the air kills immediately.

In cigarette smoke, the CO may vary depending on the aeration of the medium, however, it may be present in large quantities because it emerges from the incomplete combustion of the components of the cigarette. Be aware that the non-smoker is more exposed to many toxins (of which CO is a part) than the smoker himself.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 31/05/08, 23:17

Capt_Maloche wrote:In cigarette smoke, the CO may vary depending on the aeration of the medium, however, it may be present in large quantities because it emerges from the incomplete combustion of the components of the cigarette. Be aware that the non-smoker is more exposed to many toxins (of which CO is a part) than the smoker himself.

The problem is that the smoker can not make him re-circulate the exhaust ... at least his full sandstone : Mrgreen:
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 01/06/08, 14:09

Capt_Maloche wrote:CO divided by 9 !!
Carbon and VOC soots divided by 400 !!
NOx divided by 20 !!
AND MORE, CA CLEAN THE BOILER : Shock:

This technique is easily adaptable to any heating system and all vehicles, not least as a first tempsqu'en leaving some open EGR valve, I'd do the test shortly with opacity measurement

I recall that these 3 parameters are the bulk of the pollution in the big cities whose effects are strongly responsible for Allergies, Athsms and other respiratory diseases

Reference to test results: https://www.econologie.com/forums/post81989.html#81989
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 01 / 06 / 08, 21: 09, 1 edited once.
0 x