The nursery of my garden: swallow and hedgehog

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The nursery of my garden: swallow and hedgehog

by bham » 23/06/08, 06:34

Below, a brood of 6 rustic swallows, all babies and then force-fed. Swallows are large predators of flying insects; parents are said to be able to fly almost 400 km / day to feed their young; if not energy efficiency!

And lastly, a brood of 5 hedgehogs that I have just discovered and that I would like to keep in the garden, as an anti-slug.
Here about anti-slug granules, hedgehogs eat them or eat the slugs that ate the granules. In short it kills them slowly and it takes away all the immune defense of their young.

Without counting the orvets which reproduce under piles of wood and which are also lovers of slugs.

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/08, 09:28

Waaaaaaaaaaaw I almost have a tear in my eye!

True nature still exists!

Can we reserve a hedgehog? : Cheesy:

ps: renamed and moved to "garden"
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 23/06/08, 10:08

Hello,
So cute!

This year, in my little garden in Brussels, I had two blackbirds nests (one with 3 youngs the other with 4), one of wood pigeons (3 young) and in one of my bonsai, a nest of blue tits (4 youth).
Unfortunately, I no longer have a camera, otherwise I will have made and posted them here!

For hedgehogs, be careful however, they are big eaters and if you have a closed garden, you will have to feed it after a certain time because it will have devoured everything.
Before, I lived in Tournai and we had a large enclosed garden (+ - 120m²) that was too small for a single individual, so I released it into the wild after two years.
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/08, 10:10

Here it makes me think that we also have (at least) a nest in the garden: red tails.

Will try to take a picture of the little ones (if still alive?).
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 23/06/08, 10:24

Christophe wrote:Here it makes me think that we also have (at least) a nest in the garden: red tails.

Will try to take a picture of the little ones (if still alive?).

Ben, are undoubtedly still alive, but perhaps already left the nest. : Mrgreen:
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 23/06/08, 10:26

Christophe wrote:Waaaaaaaaaaaw I almost have a tear in my eye!
True nature still exists!

Can we reserve a hedgehog? : Cheesy:

Yes, true nature still exists, but for how long?
The swallows are rare, due to the lack of insects, no doubt.
And the hedgehogs also because of the anti-slime granules, the road, ...

For the hedgehogs, I almost took them to a refuge near Saverne because I no longer saw the mother in the nest during the day and I was told that it was not normal and that it was necessary to act immediately: keep them warm 24/24 with a hot water bottle, bottle of cat milk every 4 hours, belly massage for needs, bonus odors and this for at least 15 days, in short only happiness.
And phew, when I took them out of the nest, I saw that the mother was there.
I haven't gone far from making a mistake.
So Christophe, unless the hedgehog feeding tempts you, I advise you to wait until they are weaned before coming to get me one :D .

If not :
http://www.herissons.be/10conseils.htm

http://www.herisson.nom.fr/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/08, 10:37

Chiche?

Do you think he'll take the transport, stay in the garden and survive here? There is still a 3 hour drive ...

Will I read the 2 sites, are there ways to attract them? It might be simpler, right?

Ouch: http://valleech.club.fr/herisson/lesrisques.html

THE CAUSES OF MORTALITY

Hedgehogs have to face their natural predators: dogs, cats, martens, badgers, polecats, brown bears, owl, eagle owl, and especially foxes. These predators kill only 9% of hedgehogs. Drowning, injuries, old age cause 10% of the losses, exhaustion and hunger make disappear 13% of the individuals:

* parasitism decimates 8% of the population (flies are a plague, they lay on weak animals and maggots devour the living hedgehog)
* road accidents eliminate 24%;
* with a rate of 26%, chemical poisoning is the main cause of death of the hedgehog! example slug killer
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/08, 10:47

The 2 sites are a little contradictory: one advises to give milk for baby cat / dog and the other never to give it ...

Otherwise we now have 2 cats ... apparently it's not a good mix with hedgehogs :(

Ah excellent there is a center far from home (20km): http://www.herissons.be/annuaire.htm

It might be the best way to adopt it, right?
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 23/06/08, 12:14

Christophe wrote:Ah excellent there is a center far from home (20km): http://www.herissons.be/annuaire.htm

It might be best to adopt it, right?

Yes indeed and you can make it stay with kibble for cats.
But watch out for claws (cats).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/08, 12:22

I don't understand how a cat can attack an adult hedgehog full of prickles ... even if it catches their kibble it's understandable : Cheesy:

We will call the shelter during the week to see if cat and hedgehog are biocompatible :) and if we can therefore adopt one. I'll tell you.
0 x

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"