Wind Turbines

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Lord Francis
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Wind Turbines

by Lord Francis » 05/03/09, 12:07

For a modern wind turbine:
By sailing for more than 40 years, I have had the opportunity to appreciate these superb ecological machines that are our sailboats which can sail with the force of the wind using only a few square meters of fabrics.
Why not use sails to recover the force of the wind?
Obviously, this has existed for millennia, the "Cretan mills" of the Aegean are the best examples. Besides their primary functions, to draw water or grind grain, they are beautiful, and have even become an aesthetic symbol of the Greek islands.
The principle of these triangular sails, wound on spars, is brilliant, but it has one disadvantage: it requires constant surveillance. Their millers had to set the right sail area, day and night, under threat of destruction with too strong a wind (the Meltem which blows in this region often reaches the force 8 ...).
Our modern sailboats have taken up, by perfecting it, this means of reducing the sail by winding on the forestay for the jibs or even inside the mat for the mainsails. These processes, now generalized on sailboats, are perfectly reliable and operate in the worst weather conditions.
So why not take up this ancestral principle using our current techniques?
A modern sail wind turbine whose winding of the sails would be ensured by electric motors electronically controlled by the force and direction of the wind Measured by a wind vane-anemometer, is perfectly achievable. The necessary material, of marine quality, therefore resistant to extreme conditions, is easily available in all dimensions, since already broadcast on a large scale in yachting. For the realization of the sails, very important progress has recently been made on the quality of the fabrics making them more resistant and perfectly suitable for continuous operation.

Obviously, for high power, a wind turbine will never compete with large three-bladed wind turbines, technical problems would be insurmountable with sail surfaces too large.

By cons, in realistic dimensions (less than 10m diameter), so for small or medium powers, it would be as effective as a traditional three-bladed wind turbine without being more expensive (its cost would be comparable to that of the rigging of a sailboat medium sized).

Moreover, by turning more slowly, it is More quiet, Which would allow to use it in an urbanized but windy as the coast and not necessarily in open country or offshore as with the current wind turbines. Another advantage of this lower speed: it would spare the birds unlike the large trials that make real carnage ...
It would also be more sure for a sail that is torn in the storm is less dangerous than carbon blades playing "flying sabers".
And above all, it would undeniably More aesthetic; And this last quality is far from negligible with regard to the main argument of the anti-wind lobby ...
Its modest dimensions and its specific qualities would facilitate geographical implantation even in inhabited areas, so close to electrical needs. Why not equip them, for example, with marinas, to ensure electric autonomy or roundabouts for their lighting?

A small self-regulating wind turbine :

For domestic use, therefore with small dimensions (less 2 or 3 m diameter), therefore of low power, the control by electric motors of the sails becomes too expensive, and with an energy efficiency too low if the wind is irregular (Which is always the case with small wind turbines close to the ground). With a regulation too often solicited, the electricity produced would only serve to operate the winding motors ... This small wind turbine with sails would certainly decorative, but unfortunately ineffective!
We must find a way to be self-regulated
To wind the sails on the spars, in addition to the force of the wind, the only usable force requiring no external input is the centrifugal force.
Being able to use the weight of the counterweight deviating from the axis as a function of the speed of rotation and therefore of the wind force would be a good solution because it would make the wind turbine autonomous. Nothing invented: it is James Watt who, in the 18ème, had the brilliant idea of ​​the regulator with balls)
Other interest: the speed control function. The mass of counterweights acting as a flywheel could make the wind turbine less dependent on wind variations, which would be conducive to electricity production; The generators working best at a regulated speed.

The idea is therefore attractive on paper, but its implementation reveals many difficulties, as I was able to discover them by making a model 1m20 of diameter (see photos).
1- How to make a ball regulator that works in the vertical plane? Indeed, in this case, gravity intervenes: the upper ball tends to "fall" towards the axis and the lower ball to deviate from it. Only one solution: to connect them by a deformable double parallelogram centered on the axis, which neutralizes the gravity. Easy to achieve for a couple of counterweights, it is much more complex when there are several.
2- The centrifugal force must be sufficient to allow the winding, so that the weight of the counterweights is adapted to the surface of the sails. This essential data is difficult to calculate, only solutions found: a position adjustable with respect to the axis, and ... the trial and error.
3- It is necessary to transform this axial displacement in winding of the sails. I did it by copying what is done on the sailboats by a rope wound on a drum at the base of the sails It is in closed circuit because it has to operate in both directions: winding - flow. And to avoid friction, all crossings must be done on pulleys, the end being put on by a sandow.
4- Another variable that must obviously be taken into account: the length of the "tapping" used to "border" or "shock" the sails. This time, the ball regulator easily gives the solution: by fixing the tapping on the counterweights, whose centrifugal or centripetal movements according to the speed of rotation allow the sails to be automatically adjusted according to their winding.
5- Once wound when the wind is strong, the sails must be able to unwind when they are weak, so it is necessary to provide return springs or sockets on the regulator for its return to the center. Return to zero).

Practical results: The model works well in moderate winds (forces 3 to 6) but I have not tested it yet with storm winds. It is still perfectible for weak winds because the frictions are still too great especially for the axis of rotation which for the moment is not mounted on ball bearings. Finally, electrical coupling with a small generator remains to be carried out.
NB: For this model, the centrifugal regulator may seem oversized (therefore unsightly, which is particularly harmful for a wind turbine) but I think on a larger scale it could be proportionately less important. In addition, to be less visible, it could be placed behind the sails.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 05/03/09, 13:09

0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 05/03/09, 15:28

Hello

Idea and realization very interesting

The simplification of the system also reduces the probability of breakdowns

jeff
0 x
Lord Francis
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Lord Francis » 05/03/09, 15:55

Thanks for the tip.
Indeed, I had already seen this project of "sailing arena" but I think that technically it poses a lot of problems and from a vellic efficiency point of view it is not as good as a "sail mill".
While doing a lot of regattas, I know very well that passing too close to leeward of another sailboat makes you lose your speed completely. In this merry-go-round, only half of the windward sails are effective, or else it would have to be given too large a diameter. (at least three times the height of the poles!); on the contrary, the mill has all its sails lined with the best performance (they all "sail" with a crosswind)
Another disadvantage, even more important: it is the backwind gybing mandatory for each sail on each turn. All boaters will tell you that this is the maneuver they dread the most, the one that breaks the most equipment. In addition, a jibe is never done "on the fly" but always controlled by tacking then by shocking the sheet, which is obviously impossible in this merry-go-round. There is a great risk of breakage in strong winds. Moreover, a wing which gyes makes a significant noise; I would be curious to hear this ride even in a moderate wind ...
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Windsurfing

by Cuicui » 05/03/09, 15:59

Ternel Francis wrote:The idea is therefore attractive on paper, but its implementation reveals many difficulties, as I was able to discover them by making a model 1m20 of diameter (see photos).

Hello Francis
Congratulations for this superb functional model that requires a lot of cogitations! In weak winds should it not be possible to play more on the angle of incidence of the sails?
0 x
orbs
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by orbs » 05/03/09, 16:27

Or give hollows
@+
orbs
0 x
Pascal HA PHAM
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Pascal HA PHAM » 09/03/09, 07:30

Hello,
Pretty realization as I adore them!
:D
It is really good to try this kind of experience ...
And make a nice proto!

What corner are you?

I saw in another discussion that a club was trying to create itself near Lille .... but a pity I'm in the great "south west of Paris" = Brou, and that takes me too far!

It's good
All my encouragement for the Francis Ternel ... A +

Little by little, we will nevertheless be successful in federating a club of wind turbines infernal reserved for people who have small means and great passions !!!!
: Idea:
Pascal HA PHAM
0 x
All around my work, full videos on the web:
https://www.google.fr/webhp?source=sear ... 80&bih=672
Lord Francis
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Lord Francis » 20/03/09, 15:33

Pascal HA PHAM wrote:Hello,
Pretty realization as I adore them!
:D
It is really good to try this kind of experience ...
And make a nice proto!

What corner are you?

I saw in another discussion that a club was trying to create itself near Lille .... but a pity I'm in the great "south west of Paris" = Brou, and that takes me too far!

It's good
All my encouragement for the Francis Ternel ... A +

Little by little, we will nevertheless be successful in federating a club of wind turbines infernal reserved for people who have small means and great passions !!!!
: Idea:
Pascal HA PHAM

Thank you for your support.
I am not from the North but from the South (Hyères 83).
I almost finished a second prototype of a wind turbine, still with sails but much simpler.
Obviously I will post a post as soon as I have done the first tests.
0 x
Lord Francis
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Lord Francis » 22/03/09, 17:19

Modern wind turbine, second prototype /

By experimenting in real size my first model of wind turbine with the winding driven by the centrifugal force (see my first post), I realized that the reduction of canopy was done well in strong wind, but once the More calm, she could hardly return alone to her former state. I tried to recall springs and socks stronger and stronger but unfortunately those who could best unroll the sails, were also too strong to make possible their winding. The complexity of the system and the numerous frictions are probably the cause of this failure
So this small wind turbine can protect its sails by winding them in stormy winds, but requires a manual intervention to unroll them in calm weather.
Originally intended for a sailboat where this intervention is easy, it could be suitable, but it does not satisfy me because I would like to find a process allowing it to be completely autonomous and self-regulating which would allow to install it in inaccessible places. (On a mat or on a roof.).

That said, I remain convinced that with a larger size (unfortunately with a budget too big for me ...) a modern "Cretan mill" with an electric motor control of the winding of the sails, is a realistic and reliable solution Taking into account the quality of the equipment available for pleasure.
To improve its aesthetics and offer better protection, the sails could be wrapped inside the spars (like the mainsails in the sailboats) and motors could also be concealed (like those of electric blinds).
I am surprised that such a solution has not yet been tested. (If you have infos, I'm very interested)

For my little wind turbine, I returned to my sketches and my tests and errors with models to find another solution.
As often, it is much more difficult to make simple than complicated ...
To reduce the canopy, otherwise than by winding, I tried the battened sails reduced in fan like on a junk, but it is still too complex and therefore unreliable. On the other hand, this test made me discover the interest of lattice sails: once overhung, they do not fasey in the axis of the wind. They do not make any noise and do not beat by leeward.

Hence this new prototype (see photos).
It is much simpler with lattice conical sails whose convex leading edge is stretched by a flexible lath, which also allows the return to the initial position when the wind calms down. (This flexible batten can be replaced by a spring blade or more simply by a sandwand stretched between the two opposite sails)
For the sailing performance, the shape of the cone sails is more efficient than that of a jib. These sails function like the nozzles of a turbine, the air is channeled and compressed to the side and the AR.
Practical result: Comparing with my first model of the same size, this wind turbine starts earlier and runs faster.
The wing reduction no longer uses the centrifugal force but directly the force of the wind. When it forces, it digs the sail, the cone closes, its active surface decreasing. Moreover, since the listening is fixed on the mobile end of the leading edge of the sail, it overflows it downwind.
At the limit, when the wind is too strong, the sails are in flags (or rather in the form of air sleeves) The cones, almost closed, offer only a weak resistance in the axis of the wind.
Once the wind has fallen, the soft battens or the bunches tighten the sails to restore their initial appearance. This time the wind turbine is well self-regulated.

Another simplification very beneficial: the center of slipping is in AR of the plane of rotation, it does not require rudder to orient itself facing the wind. It will therefore be Auto directional With its pivot in the wind.

To finish this model, I still have to make the connection with a small generator.
Do you have addresses to find a small generator in 12V not too expensive? (For info: this 1m20 model of diameter cost me less than 50 euros!)
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 22/03/09, 19:19

Bravo, superb work ... It is a pleasure to see prototypes of this type.
0 x