Compressed air by liquid piston VS lead batteries

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Christophe

Compressed air by liquid piston VS lead batteries

by Christophe » 14/10/08, 10:28

Compressed air storage to replace lead-acid batteries

One of the main difficulties encountered by solar and wind energy is the problem of storing surplus electricity. Indeed, the production of energy is rarely in perfect adequacy with the need (too much or too little wind, no solar at night ...) and it is therefore necessary to be able to store the produced electrical surplus. Usually lead acid batteries are used to accomplish this task.

A young Lausanne-based company, Enairys, is betting on another system: compressed air storage. Ecological (no heavy metals) and economical (longer service life), the process is not new, but has so far been little used because its yield is low. In fact, the compression of the air causes it to heat up and consequently heat losses, resulting in a yield of the order of only 25%. (Christophe's note: this is ONLY the compression yield and not the overall yield of this storage!)

With the support of the Industrial Electronics Laboratory and the Industrial Energy Laboratory located at EPFL, Enayris offers a system based no longer on mechanical piston but on liquid piston. The water used makes it possible to regulate the heat flows and clearly improves the efficiency of the batteries, now reaching 60-65% (almost the efficiency of a lead-acid battery, which is 70%).

The air is compressed by means of an electric motor coupled to a hydropneumatic compressor and stored in cylinders connected to each other. When there is a need for electricity, the air is extracted to supply the same machine, which this time works as an alternator.

The patents have been filed by EPFL and Enairys has an exclusive license. To date, it has completed the creation of the demonstration prototype and intends for the moment to use this type of installation in isolated regions or in emergency power supplies for sensitive systems subjected to unstable electrical networks.

Source: "Energy storage by compressed air ready to replace lead-acid batteries" - Le Temps - 24/06/08

http://www.bulletins-electroniques.com/ ... /56174.htm
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 14/10/08, 14:59

Well it's in the air : Cheesy:

I would be very curious to know the price of this little wonder :?:

On the other hand, and also in tune with the times, Guy Nègre's pneumatic cart has finally seen the light of day.
I indicate a link in the thread concerning eco-friendly cars at - from 5000 € :D

Thanks for this thunderous info from Zeus, Christophe 8)

With my best regards, Lietseu :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/10/08, 15:02

If you are interested in the topic of compression storage you should also read this: https://www.econologie.com/forums/stockage-c ... t6344.html

ps: thank you for not trolling in post pro mdi please !! It's been since 1995 that a cart was supposedly born, since there are barrels that have gone into the atmosphere!

In addition, Mdi does not use a water piston compressor precisely ... it should therefore not be very far from 25% of compression efficiency ... and I am not talking about the "rest" ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 14/10/08, 16:11

I don't understand why they don't compress air with water.
I explain in a tank full of air you inject water from the bottom and you recover the compressed gas from the top.
It works super well and at random I felt that it was much more profitable, much easier because the water leaks less easily.
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 14/10/08, 17:09

It's amazing what they say in this thing!

So since the 80s, we could build cars that would only eat 2.64 l / 100! : Shock:

So the question of whether this is possible no longer arises, the question is who benefits from the crime, and the answer is obvious: to the tanker : Evil:

From the outset, previous studies on the subject show that an automobile can compete favorably with electrochemical processes on the basis of operating costs, autonomy, easy use, availability of key technologies and, ultimately, in terms of environmental. A patent from the 1980s (US4226294, cryogenic energy storage) to show that a great improvement in fuel economy and reduction of greenhouse gases is possible by using a burner to heat liquid nitrogen well above room temperature.

They also propose to combine fuel oil with pressurized air, thus allowing an increase in autonomy, close to 90 mpg of diesel (i.e. 2.64 l / 100 km of fuel) and 3 mpg of liquid air (i.e. nearly 80 l of liquefied air for 100 km).

Greetings from Lietseu :P
0 x

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/10/08, 18:22

Yep Lietseu incredible but true! Image

I would rather say: it benefits "the system" .... Of course they know how to do better than what they offer us but in the industry, we never look for the best solution but the most "profitable" (that is to say interesting for the shareholders and possibly the technical and financial partners ...)!

Phil53, when they talk about a liquid "piston" it might be your idea, don't you think?
Last edited by Christophe the 14 / 10 / 08, 19: 16, 1 edited once.
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 14/10/08, 18:35

we just wondered dear Phil53, why we did not think about it earlier, injecting water under pressure indeed prevents air heating and as long as we put car purges below the tanks we can produce power every time you empty the water tanks (sparkling, extra) ...

Greetings from Lietseu :P
0 x

C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 14/10/08, 19:11

I want to but I am afraid that with this bullshit, there is water in the gas !!! : Mrgreen: (yes yes I'm pretty happy with that one !!!)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/10/08, 19:21

Hey C moa, objection: for me it would be rather the opposite...gas (which is diluted) in water... : Mrgreen:
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 14/10/08, 19:36

Christopher said:

I would rather say: it benefits "the system" .... Of course they know how to do better than what they offer us but in the industry we never look for the best solution but the most "profitable"

Now that I am in the industry I can answer you: we make what we want to buy from us at the price we want to put.
The cost price on well-launched chains is ridiculous, on the other hand imposing a solution at a good price for an SME: there is far from the cut to the lips ...

At Drytec we had to give up manufacturing compressed air dryers that actually gave 3 ° C dew point ... simply because our competitors were selling dryers advertised as such, but which had perhaps 14 much less. or 15 ° C dew point. Now we make "just a little better" dryers at the same price as the rest. The same goes for engines, not to mention other risks : Mrgreen: (hello the conspiracy of big capital : Mrgreen: )
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be